6 Vegan Songs to Add to Your Fall Music Playlist
A change in seasons means its time to update your daily tunes.
As summer turns to fall, our food tastes tend to change (and it’s the only way you can explain some of those pumpkin-spice lattes). Our musical tastes tend to change as well, and while good music is good music, there are some songs that just feel especially fitting as we move from the beaches to the apple orchards. In honor of the musically overlooked season, we’ve created a six-song playlist that’s best to listen to throughout autumn.
1. “Pale September” by Fiona Apple
As the seasons change, we consciously link our awareness to nature’s cycles, and an understanding of our own cycles begin to deepen. No song exemplifies this change like Apple’s “Pale September.” With lyrics such as “The autumn days swung soft around me/like cotton on my skin/But as the embers of the summer lost their breath and disappeared/my heart went cold and only hollow rhythms resounded from within,” the song is about letting down your guard in love and embracing change.
2. “Tonight, Tonight” by Smashing Pumpkins
Billy Corgan's teahouse Madame ZuZu’s has always been strictly plant-based, but recently he's been talking about being vegan himself now, too. The singer/guitarist/songwriter has worked and helped raise funds for PAWS Chicago, so his cruelty-free transformation is not a surprise. With lyrics such as “And our lives are forever changed/We will never be the same/The more you change the less you feel,” this classic Smashing Pumpkins song offers encouragement to be true to yourself and to believe. Apparently, Corgan has taken his own advice. To that, we say kudos.
3. “Adore You” by Miley Cyrus
In “Adore You,” the actress/singer/activist (who went vegan once she realized that her fish and pig were intelligent, sentient beings) is singing about how strong her love is for her partner. And with lyrics such as "Baby, baby, are you listening?/Wondering where you've been all my life/I just started living/Oh, baby, are you listening?/When you say you love me/Know I love you more/And when you say you need me/Know I need you more/Boy, I adore you, I adore you," it’s easy to assume she might also be singing about that feeling we all get when we ask ourselves why we didn’t go vegan sooner.
4. “Burn the Pages” by Sia
We’ve known that singer/songwriter Sia Furler is kind-hearted ever since she decided to go vegan, but lyrics such as “Place your past into a book/Burn the pages/let them cook” can represent a person’s transition into veganism. When we decided to go plant-based, we have to let go of the guilt of our previous carnivorous ways. At this point, similar to the words Sia sings, we know we need to be less hard on ourselves to fully embrace our new (cruelty-free!) lives.
5. “I’ve Just Seen a Face” by The Beatles
Singer bassist Sir Paul McCartney is no stranger to the world of meat-free meals—his powerful narration of PETA’s “Glass Walls” video illustrates his notion that “if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegan. Similarly, lyrics such as “I can't forget the time or place/Where we just met/She's just the girl for me/And I want all the world to see” is like the first time you realize that being vegan is the best life decision you could ever make.
6. “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz
Mraz decided to become vegan to support his friend who found out he had type 2 diabetes. Now, the singer/songwriter sticks to eating mostly raw foods, with one of his signature dishes being "Chocomole," a mixture of avocados, dates, cacao, agave nectar, and coconut oil. In “I Won’t Give Up,” Mraz uses many literary terms to express his feelings, and in the beginning of the song, he uses the simile "like watching the night skies" to compare the eyes of the girl he loves to a clear fall night sky: “I won't give up on us/Even if the skies get rough/I'm giving you all my love I'm still looking up, I'm still looking up.” The passion in the song is the same passion vegans have for animals and their rights and reminds us that no matter what the situation, we won’t give up our fight for what we believe is right.
Michelle Siriani is a plant-based chef and graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City, a pastry chef at Peacefood Cafe, a recipe tester, writer, and food blogger.
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching, and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2017? Here are your top 10 favorite reads of the year.
Read More »
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me