VegNews' Picks for the Best Vegan Cheese and Wine Pairings
True foodies know that its only a matter of time for vegan wine and cheese to be recognized in the culinary world as the new standard.
From creamy almond brie to sharp cashew cheddar, vegan cheese has expanded in beautiful ways to position 2018 as the most tasteful year of vegan food ever. In addition, winemakers are also realizing the benefits of plant-based vinos and are creating amazing vegan wines that are better than the traditional bottles. These delicious advancements in culinary creations are why we’re calling 2018 the year when vegan wine and cheese pairings take over the world. To help get your year started as deliciously as possible, here are six combinations that’ll have you satiated and satisfied until next New Year’s Eve.
1. Vtopian Caramelized Onion and Pizzolato Cabernet
The notes of tanginess and creaminess of Vtopian’s cashew-based cheese base and date-like sweetness of the carmelized onion (along with the right amount of salt) make this cheese perfect to pair with the Pizzolato cabernet. Due to its boldness and sweet aftertaste, the strong cabernet fills your mouth with flavor and tames the cheese’s sweetness. For an ideal pairing, include purple grapes and sliced toasted baguette on your cheese platter.
2. Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese Style Spread with En Mémoire du Malbec
Kite Hill’s chive cream cheese smears lightly and smoothly across a dry cracker or toasted baguette, while the delicately bold flavor matches well with the Malbec, which complements the cream cheese due to its blackberry-esque taste. The wine complements this cheese very much like jam does with cream cheese, making it a great combination when served with toasted bagel crackers, blackberries, jam, sourdough bread, oat crackers, carrot lox, pickles, or sweet potato crackers.
3. Miyoko’s Kitchen Aged English Smoked Farmhouse with Frey Vineyards Pinot Noir
If you love sharp cheese, you will love Miyoko’s smoked farmhouse. With a smoky, woody flavor and an acidic kick that fills your tastebuds, this cheese is tempered perfectly by the pinot noir. The smoked farmhouse is a great cheese for those who love strong cheddars, while combining the flavors releases a satisfaction for those who love sharp and blended tastes thanks to the wine’s plum notes. For the ultimate cheese platter, include apples and toasted almonds on seeded crackers.
4. Peace Cheese Jalapeño Love and La Crema Chardonnay
Peace Cheese’s Jalapeño Love is spicy and buttery, but also has a little tang to it that makes this treat truly unique. Use it as a spread-like pub cheese or heat it by baking it on a French boule slice for a gooey effect. The spice puckers your lips, which is ideal for La Crema Chardonnay to temper the cheese’s buttery taste. This pairing becomes a smooth delicacy that allows the spice to settle nicely and is best served with corn chips, chocolate, French boule, seeded baguette, and dried cherries. This cheese would go well with a good beer as well.
5. Vromage Brie-Truffle and Red Truck Rosé
Vromage’s Brie-Truffle is light and decadent and comes with a hint of truffle that pairs well with the rosé’s creamy, strawberry notes. This combination tastes divine when served on a cheese platter with cranberry or raisin crackers, figs, and sunflower seed bread.
6. The Herbivorous Butcher Smoked Gouda and Les Hauts de Lagarde Bordeaux Red
This smoked Gouda’s spice is well paired with the Bordeaux, which is fruity with a little spice at the end. With its smoky hint and smooth taste, the cheese is impactful on the taste buds, while the Bordeaux pairing gives you a full-bodied experience. Ciabatta, green grapes, and cherries would make this a delicious pairing.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books