5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
Summer lovin' happens so fast, especially when you're taking your date on vegan adventures.
The sun is shining, the beach is beckoning, and summer love is in the air. But with so many outdoors activities this time of year, wouldn’t it be great to have someone with whom to share the gorgeous weather? The answer, of course, is yes, which is why we’ve got you covered for vegan date ideas sure to impress. From warm-weather cooking to breaking a sweat in the great outdoors, these five ideas are perfect for basking in the sun, vegan-style.
1. Park it
A picnic date might be a bit cliché, but there’s nothing better than relaxing in the shade, people watching, and noshing on nibbles such as artisanal vegan cheeses (Kite Hill is a personal fave) with seeded crackers, homemade plum basil jam, and a portable dessert. Having a date at a park is also a much less intimidating atmosphere—as opposed to a fancy restaurant—that ensures light and fun conversation will be flowing for as long as your inconspicuous Thermos is filled with wine.
You don’t want to break a sweat in front of your crush, so any cooking that has to do with a hot stove is a definite no-no. Instead, create raw dishes such as our Marinated Kale Salad that allow you to work together in the kitchen … with the windows open, of course. Doing so allows you to show off your knife skills and maybe hand-feed kale to one another. Whatever you choose to make, don’t forget the Very Berry Vegan Popsicles, which can help lovebirds cool down when the romance gets hot.
Want to know if that summer fling will last through Halloween? Take your date to a local animal shelter, and watch how he or she interacts with animals. A positive experience means you’ve got yourself a keeper! If you’re near a farmed animal sanctuary, save your snuggles for pigs, cows, and chickens who will return the love the same way as cats and dogs. You’ll learn a lot about your partner while helping animals, which is a total win-win.
4. Hot for hikes
Summer means breaking a sweat, and no physical activity does this better than a good hike up your favorite local mountain. Grab your backpack, and load up on snacks (we suggest dried mango from Trader Joe’s) before choosing a trail flat enough that you can have a good conversation while getting your heart pumping. If your hike is going to be an all-day activity, end your date by watching the sunset. If all goes well, watching the sunrise over a pair of Mason jars filled with overnight oats is just a few hours away.
5. Frozen fun
For the sweet-loving types (that’s us!), head to a frozen yogurt shop, where vegan options are easier to find than ever. Chains such as Pinkberry, Menchie's, and 16 Handles have recently introduced plant-based yogurt options, which allows us to swirl our yogurt before piling on nuts, fresh berries, and toasted coconut until our creations tower over the cup. If your date is also vegan (score!), they’ll understand if your excitement for dairy-free froyo trumps your remembering to share.
9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
Family, avocado toast, and our companion animals are just a few things were loving this Thanksgiving.
Read More »
Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
Your favorite vegan shops are having great deals this weekend, so get shopping already.
Read More »
7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
Follow our seven tips for having the sort of Thanksgiving youll never forget.
Read More »
An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me
In honor of my 20-year vegetarian anniversary on Thanksgiving, I decided to write a letter to my younger self.
Read More »
6 Vegan Thanksgiving Dinners for Any Food-Obsessed New Yorker
The Big Apple and its surrounding communities is redefining Thanksgiving with a cruelty-free twist.
Read More »
- 15 Vegan Hacks for Your Favorite Fast-Food Joints
- Olympic Medalist Bicycles Into Massive Vegan Concert, FTW
- 8 Ways to Veganize Everything in Your Fridge Without Anyone Noticing
- Is Your Meat-Eating Loved One Driving You Up the Wall? Here's How to Deal.
- 10 Foolproof Ways to Make Your Vegan Holiday Celebration Fabulous and Unforgettable
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- 9 Vegan Ways to Hack Classic Holiday Pies
- 11 Vegan Nacho Recipes That Will Make You Forget About Taco Tuesday
- 9 Ways to Ensure Your Vegan Fall Wardrobe Makes You Look Hella Cute
- 6 Vegan Songs to Add to Your Fall Music Playlist
- 8 Vegan Treats for Your Companion Animals (and Maybe You)
- Vegan Parenting is Taking Over the Internet
- 6 New Vegan Pastas That Will Change the Way You Eat Dinner
- And the Winners of the 2017 Veggie Awards are …
- How Moby is Changing the World One Vegan Concert at a Time
- 10 Scary Halloween Costumes Only Vegans Will Understand
- 6 Vegan-Friendly Cat Cafés Where You Can Celebrate National Cat Day
- 5 Vegan Ways to Drink Your Chocolate
- The VegNews Guide to Perfect Halloween Pumpkins
- 7 Vegan Ways to Eat Your Beer on National American Beer Day