Fraud Uncovered in Target's Removal of Hampton Creek
Investigators reveal unsigned letters sent to retailers, including Target, from an anonymous source that intended to disrupt Hampton Creek's business.
Food technology company Hampton Creek—known for its eggless vegan condiment Just Mayo—recently hired an investigative team to uncover the circumstances surrounding its products being inexplicably pulled from shelves at major retailer Target as well as other efforts to disrupt its business. The incident transpired on June 22, when Target began to remove Hampton Creek products from its shelves based on unsubstantiated allegations regarding product safety—namely allegations that some products were mislabeled, contained undeclared ingredients, and posed salmonella and listeria threats—made by media outlet Bloomberg.
The investigative team has since found several fraudulent, unsigned letters sent to retailers—of which, only Target took action, removing the company's products without an official recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The return address on the envelope of one letter sent to retailer(s) and turned over to investigators fraudulently purported to be from [Hampton Creek’s] CEO Josh Tetrick,” an unnamed party close to the investigation tells VegNews. “The letter itself was unsigned, addressed to retail partner executives, and cc’s Bloomberg.”
Andrew Noyes, spokesperson for Hampton Creek, tells VegNews that the FDA has since cleared the company of all purported safety claims. “We’ve remained confident that our products were safe and properly labeled, and that when presented with the facts, the FDA would agree,” Noyes says. “They informed us, after reviewing applicable evidence, that the matter is closed. We’ve reached out to Target to determine the steps needed to get back on shelves and restore our partnership. We're thankful to the millions of consumers and growing number of partners who continue to support our mission to build a food system where everyone is eating well.”
In 2015, the company was involved in a similar scandal, where 600 emails uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act request revealed a conspiracy between Unilever and the American Egg Board (AEB). Amongst many shocking developments, the documents revealed that a contractor for AEB, Anthony Zoletzzi, was paid an undisclosed sum to remove Hampton Creek’s eggless products from the shelves at Whole Foods Market. Just Mayo became popular after the 2015 outbreak of bird influenza—which, according to a new report, cost one egg industry company, Cal-Maine Foods, $74 million in profits due to vegan alternatives.
Ne-Yo Embraces New Vegan Diet
The musician says he can never go back to eating animal products after watching vegan documentary What the Health.
Read More »
Texas Vegan Bakery Wins $25,000 Grand Prize
Austin-based vegan bakery Skull & Cakebones takes top honors at the annual Quest for Texas Best competition hosted by supermarket chain H-E-B Grocery Co.
Read More »
Vegan Cupcake Decorating Studio Opens in Miami
At the new Bunnie Cakes Studio, vegan-treats fanatics can have a hands-on experience decorating cakes, cupcakes, piñatas, and more.
Read More »
USC Gets New "Hogwarts" Vegan Dining Station
Students at the prestigious University of Southern California can now visit an 8,000-square-foot dining hall where chef-created vegan dishes await.
Read More »
Jon Bon Jovi Removes Leather from His Clothing Line
In a move that's bigger than '80s rocker hair, the musician's denim company Hart N Dagger will replace leather tags with vegan materials.
Read More »
- Vegan Bacon Cone Rolls into London
- Hampton Creek to License Clean Tech to Meat Companies
- German International School in India Goes Vegan
- P90X Founder Tony Horton Sticks to Vegan Diet
- Hawaiians Fight eBay Founder's Plans to Open Dairy Farm
- "Vegan Mafia" Secretly Funds Plant-Based Companies
- All Slaughterhouses in England Must Now Install Cameras
- Impossible Foods' CEO Speaks Out About Animal Testing
- Major Australian Shoe Brand Gets Vegan Certified
- More than 1 Million Eggs Pulled from 15 Countries
- NYC Chef Develops Avocado Pizza for Vegans
- Vegan-Friendly 10-Minute FroYo Gadget Debuts
- Lightlife Launches New Veggie-Forward Deli Slices
- Orange is the New Black Star Danielle Brooks Goes Vegan
- Dubai's Popular Vegan Makeup Brand Lands in US
- "Fattest City" Mayor Inspires Launch of New Vegan Group
- Ivy Leagues Order More Veg Food Than Other Schools
- Starbucks Launches Horchata Almond Milk Frappuccino
- Hampton Creek Ready to Debut "Just Scramble"
- Kite Hill Launches Innovative Vegan Yogurt Line