5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
A vegan Mother's Day is the perfect way to celebrate everything your mom has done for you. And with so many amazing cruelty-free foods, cosmetics, restaurants, and films, you can spoil your mother all of Sunday, and well into Monday! From treating her to a yummy plant-based lunch or buying her adorable vegan jewelry, here are our five favorites ways we’ll be celebrating with our moms this weekend.
1. Cook her a vegan meal
Breakfast in bed has always been the cliché of Mother’s Day, so don’t do it. Instead, cook her a vegan breakfast to enjoy in the kitchen so no one makes a mess in bed. However, why not surprise your mom with a vegan breakfast for dinner? Breakfast burritos with tofu scramble, bell peppers, onions, and roasted potatoes is a delicious way to celebrate your mom, and she’ll never expect it! Or, why not make something sweet for her such as maple-peanut butter pancakes or a vegan lemon curd for dessert?
2. Take her to a vegan restaurant
If cooking isn’t your forté, take your mom to a vegan restaurant and let her splurge. This tip might seem obvious, but sometimes obvious is best. By taking your mom out for a meal, you’re expressing your thanks for all of her hard work. Plus, everyone likes having someone else prepare their meals (and do the dishes), so going out to eat definitely earns you mega-points in the parent-offspring relationship. A few of our favorites include No Bones Beach Club, Millennium, Crossroads Kitchen, Chicago Diner, Fare Well, Modern Love Brooklyn, and Vedge.
3. Give her a personalized gift
With the hassle of making food (or going to a restaurant) out of the way, it’s time for gifts. There’s nothing wrong with giving flowers and vegan chocolates, but if these are too generic for you, try Etsy.com, where you’ll find a plethora of unique vegan gifts. One shop called Crobinson Design sells vegan jewelry such as heart-shaped necklaces that say “Vegan Mom” on them, but designer/owner Christy Robinson can do custom orders if you want your jewelry to say something else. There are many other vegan options (ranging from t-shirts to vegan soap) on Etsy if you want to get your mom something other than jewelry.
4. Watch a movie
Who doesn’t love staying in and binge watching TV shows and movies, especially with your best friend? No one, so pick up some of your mom's favorite movies and maybe some movies with some vegan actors such as Joaquin Phoenix or Rooney Mara. You can always watch documentaries such as Cowspiracy, What The Health, and Vegucated to educate each other more on the vegan lifestyle. Seeing as how no movie night is complete without a slice or three, make your mom some vegan pizza with pineapple, mushrooms, and/or peppers. Once the pizza is gone, bust out a carton of NadaMoo’s Rocky Road, Birthday Cake, Snickerdoodle, or chocolate peanut butter flavors. Now that’s a happy Mother’s Day!
5. Vegan spa day
A vegan spa day is not only a wonderful idea for your mom but for yourself as well, so treat her like a queen with a fun outing that includes getting a mani-pedi, a massage, and a haircut. However, finding vegan spas/salons can be difficult, so call your local spas/salons to see if they carry any cruelty-free, vegan friendly lines, such as Aveda. Another option is to treat her in the comfort of her (or your) home. Hire a massage therapist to come to your house, and you can supply the cruelty-free massage oils. A DIY home spa—think facial masks and manicures—is another fun way to spend time together while pampering Mom. For inspiration, check out YouTube star Rawvana’s easy-to-make skincare recipes.
Rebecca Sykes is a writer and passionate vegan who is hoping to open her own animal sanctuary one day.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
Are you someone who practices mindful meditation? If so, heres why you should be vegan (if you arent already).
Read More »
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket