Mistress Gingers Vegan Guilty Pleasures
Even a pristine level-seven vegan can indulge in those guilty pleasures of yesteryear.
All of my many lovers (who aren’t vegan) think I’m oh-so-disciplined, that I eat only tree bark for breakfast and beet shrapnel for lunch, and that dinner consists of freshly chilled ice cubes with a spritz of lemon. Being the vegan goddess that I am, I do have a pristine plant-based diet, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know how to indulge occasionally in what might be considered junk food. In fact, I like to give into temptation every now and then because, as my dear friend Mae West once said, “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” And so here I go, revealing all my dirty secrets—my guilty vegan pleasures!
1. Nutter Butter
Every now and then, I visit the local hardware store (partly because I have a major crush on Chad, the checkout guy). Near the counter where I tend to loiter is an array of snacks, and I always manage to snag a mini-pack of Nutter Butter. They’re delicious, and Chad agrees. So, if you do find yourself at your local hardware store, be sure to grab some of the Nutter Butter. But, hands off of Chad! He’s one guilty pleasure that’s all mine.
When I’m filling up my gas tank at the Pump-n-Munch, how can I possibly resist the miniature pack of Oreo cookies? They are perhaps the classic vegan junk food and a timeless treat. Though old school, they never get old to me! And for an especially devilish indulgence, I whip them up with some vanilla So Delicious nondairy ice cream. Did somebody say “vegan Blizzard?” Forget Dairy Queen—I’ll be your Non-Dairy Queen!
3. Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts
Aaaaannnndddd when I’m at the local video store (yes, my neighborhood still has an actual brick-and-mortar DVD-rental place), they’ve got that rack of treats with the microwave popcorn, but my eyes go to the two-pack of Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts. Sure, I feel a little self-conscious when I plop them on the counter along with every film ever made featuring vegan heartthrob Joaquin Phoenix, but I don’t care. As long as I don’t burn the Pop-Tarts, it’s all good.
4. Kettle-cooked potato chips
Whenever I find these salty morsels at, well, anywhere, I make sure to grab a bag because the extra crunch of the kettle-cooker puts them in a naughty bracket all their own. So as not to seem totally brutish, I serve them in my grandmother’s Blue Willow China. And—because presentation is everything, dearie—even when you’re gorging on chips and binging on Netflix.
5. Fudge-covered graham squares
When I’m shopping for new panties at Dollar Tree, I can’t help but skip-to-my-lou over to their food aisle, which is surprisingly sprawling, wouldn’t you say? Although I find it mildly disturbing to shop for food at a dollar store, that doesn’t stop me from indulging in fudge-covered graham cookies that are reminiscent of something made by the Keebler elves themselves—but all vegan, oh-so-heavenly, and only one dollar!
6. Graham Crackers
Speaking of graham-cracker goodness, I need to talk to you about basic graham crackers and where you can find the vegan ones. Really, it ain’t so easy to find them made without honey, especially if you’re searching at the frou-frou natural food stores. That’s when you hitch a ride down to the big ol’ supermarket to get yourself a box of the original Nabisco grahams. These are good for making a vegan graham cracker pie crust, but they’re also totally munchable straight out of the box.
7. Tater tots
While you’re at the supermarket, be sure to prance on over to the frozen food section, where the Ore-Ida Tater Tots are calling, and you’ve got to answer that call. Grab a bag, run home, and pop them in the oven (but be sure to pay for them first). Serve them with a heap of ketchup, and then savor this nostalgic throwback to the best of the elementary school cafeteria, or to that time you were entertaining sailors at the VFW. Or was that just me?
When she’s not indulging in guilty pleasures, Mistress Ginger can be found singing on the cabaret stage and whipping up new recipes for one or more of her many lovers.
Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
EatSoulGoods organic food is converting people to veganism by showing customers that cruelty-free doesnt have to taste like cardboard.
Read More »
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It