Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life: Veganism Saved His Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
A dire diagnosis can turn your life into a timeline grimly defined by “before” and “after,” making you face the unimaginable—the looming possibility of your early mortality. But for some, a frightening diagnosis is also an opportunity to heal. VegNews’ annual feature, “Veganism Saved My Life”—available now in the January+February Health and Wellness Issue—features the heart-wrenching stories of five individuals whose lives were saved by veganism. Here is the first.
Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol
Lifelong medication, blindness, limb amputation
How Eric Did It
For Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, a startling diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes—complete with bouts of tingly hands and feet, and an emergency visit to the doctor due to a painful ulcer—led to a windy but clear path to Michael Greger, MD’s book, How Not to Die. Told he would be on medication for the rest of his life, with the probability of long-term effects such as blindness and amputation, Adams took matters into his own hands.
In spring of last year, the former New York state senator switched out the meat-centric diet he had known his whole life with one that revolved around kale, beans, grains, fruit, and other vegetables in their most unprocessed forms. Just three weeks later, he woke up to find his extremities no longer tingled. Figuring he was onto something, Adams continued on his vegan journey, and three months later, his blood-glucose levels were completely normal—his diabetes had effectively been cured.
Now a vocal proponent of a plant-based diet, Adams has turned his personal victory into a citywide advocacy effort, holding public discussions at the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce on the value of veganism; creating a policy that all events held at Borough Hall must include vegan options; and developing a New York City hub for doctors like Greger who specialize in plant-based nutrition as a means to long-term health. Much closer to home, this plant-powered ambassador has even gotten his mother to jump on the vegan bandwagon: In October, she joined him in the fight, hoping to see the same results as her son, who is changing the city—and the world—one salad at a time.
What Eric Eats In a Day
Oatmeal with kale, onions, and red cabbage
Bean pasta with marinara sauce, tomatoes, and mushrooms
Steamed cauliflower with cucumber, garlic, lemon, and balsamic vinegar
Banana "nice cream"
Flax seed chips with sweet potato and chickpea hummus, almonds, and apples
“The relationship between you and your doctor is a partnership, and you cannot rely on your doctor to dictate your health.”
It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
Many men are reluctant to go vegan for irrational reasons. Were here to fix that problem.
Read More »
We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
Classics such as Jaws, Dumbo, and King Kong would be so much better if they were filmed through a vegan lens.
Read More »
8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
Plant-based foods have become the megatrend of the year thanks to innovative products taking up more space on grocery store shelves.
Read More »
Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
World-famous natural landscapes and a diverse vegan cuisine await you in the Niagara region of Canada.
Read More »
If Trader Joe's Added These 11 Vegan Frozen Foods, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
Wed love Trader Joe s even more if the chain added vegan corn dogs, macaroni and cheese bites, and barbecue chicken pizza.
Read More »
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket
- Rise Against Adds Veganism to Its Politically Charged Music
- 8 Reasons to Forget Keto and Go Vegan
- Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
- Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
- 5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
- Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How