VegNews' Picks for the Best Vegan Cheese and Wine Pairings
True foodies know that its only a matter of time for vegan wine and cheese to be recognized in the culinary world as the new standard.
From creamy almond brie to sharp cashew cheddar, vegan cheese has expanded in beautiful ways to position 2018 as the most tasteful year of vegan food ever. In addition, winemakers are also realizing the benefits of plant-based vinos and are creating amazing vegan wines that are better than the traditional bottles. These delicious advancements in culinary creations are why we’re calling 2018 the year when vegan wine and cheese pairings take over the world. To help get your year started as deliciously as possible, here are six combinations that’ll have you satiated and satisfied until next New Year’s Eve.
1. Vtopian Caramelized Onion and Pizzolato Cabernet
The notes of tanginess and creaminess of Vtopian’s cashew-based cheese base and date-like sweetness of the carmelized onion (along with the right amount of salt) make this cheese perfect to pair with the Pizzolato cabernet. Due to its boldness and sweet aftertaste, the strong cabernet fills your mouth with flavor and tames the cheese’s sweetness. For an ideal pairing, include purple grapes and sliced toasted baguette on your cheese platter.
2. Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese Style Spread with En Mémoire du Malbec
Kite Hill’s chive cream cheese smears lightly and smoothly across a dry cracker or toasted baguette, while the delicately bold flavor matches well with the Malbec, which complements the cream cheese due to its blackberry-esque taste. The wine complements this cheese very much like jam does with cream cheese, making it a great combination when served with toasted bagel crackers, blackberries, jam, sourdough bread, oat crackers, carrot lox, pickles, or sweet potato crackers.
3. Miyoko’s Kitchen Aged English Smoked Farmhouse with Frey Vineyards Pinot Noir
If you love sharp cheese, you will love Miyoko’s smoked farmhouse. With a smoky, woody flavor and an acidic kick that fills your tastebuds, this cheese is tempered perfectly by the pinot noir. The smoked farmhouse is a great cheese for those who love strong cheddars, while combining the flavors releases a satisfaction for those who love sharp and blended tastes thanks to the wine’s plum notes. For the ultimate cheese platter, include apples and toasted almonds on seeded crackers.
4. Peace Cheese Jalapeño Love and La Crema Chardonnay
Peace Cheese’s Jalapeño Love is spicy and buttery, but also has a little tang to it that makes this treat truly unique. Use it as a spread-like pub cheese or heat it by baking it on a French boule slice for a gooey effect. The spice puckers your lips, which is ideal for La Crema Chardonnay to temper the cheese’s buttery taste. This pairing becomes a smooth delicacy that allows the spice to settle nicely and is best served with corn chips, chocolate, French boule, seeded baguette, and dried cherries. This cheese would go well with a good beer as well.
5. Vromage Brie-Truffle and Red Truck Rosé
Vromage’s Brie-Truffle is light and decadent and comes with a hint of truffle that pairs well with the rosé’s creamy, strawberry notes. This combination tastes divine when served on a cheese platter with cranberry or raisin crackers, figs, and sunflower seed bread.
6. The Herbivorous Butcher Smoked Gouda and Les Hauts de Lagarde Bordeaux Red
This smoked Gouda’s spice is well paired with the Bordeaux, which is fruity with a little spice at the end. With its smoky hint and smooth taste, the cheese is impactful on the taste buds, while the Bordeaux pairing gives you a full-bodied experience. Ciabatta, green grapes, and cherries would make this a delicious pairing.
7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
As a seasoned vegan lesbian but a brand new Angeleno, this year, I'm going all-in.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
Read More »
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene