5 Vegan Ways to Drink Your Chocolate
Get your straws out because its National Chocolate Day.
Today is National Chocolate Day, which is basically an excuse for us to consume as much chocolate as we want (as if we needed one). And while we love the fact that chocolate is said to have numerous health benefits (lowering blood pressure, improving brain function, providing antioxidants, and elevating one’s mood), mostly, we love chocolate because it’s insanely delicious. This year, to celebrate this most special occasion, we’re featuring five chocolate beverages because—let’s be honest—there’s nothing better to drink (or eat!) than chocolate.
1. Mint Chocolate Chip Tehina Shake from Goldie (Philadelphia, PA)
James Beard Foundation award winner Michael Solomonov is known internationally for his modern take on Israeli cuisine. Beginning with fine-dining restaurant Zahav, followed by the opening of the casual hummuseria Dizengoff (now with multiple locations), Solomonov recently opened his first vegan restaurant, a falafel bar called Goldie. While the falafel is good, no trip is complete without ordering the Mint Chocolate Chip Tehina Shake. This indulgent, mint green treat comes with chocolate sauce and chocolate chips and is topped with a chocolate swirl and mint leaves. Adding too much tahini is easy, as it has a strong flavor, but Goldie’s shakes have the perfect balance and provide a subtle, earthy flavor.
2. Nut Cruncher Shake from Champs Diner (Brooklyn, New York)
If you’re anything like us, you always order any menu item that incorporates chocolate and peanut butter, which might explain our love affair with Champs Diner’s Nut Cruncher Shake. Made with a chocolate ice cream base and peanut butter, this mouthwatering shake is topped with crushed Chick-O-Stick and shaved coconut. If that’s not the definition of “perfect,” we don’t know what is.
3. Spiked Hot Chocolate from Virtuous Pie (Portland, OR)
You might not expect a mind-blowing chocolate drink from an all-vegan pizzeria, but that’s exactly what a spiked hot chocolate from Portland’s Virtuous Pie is. Served during brunch, this breakfast cocktail is prepared using house-made milk, chocolate sauce, and New Deal Hot Pepper Monkey vodka, then garnished with a spicy rum. Order this with a breakfast pizza, and your day just got awesome.
4. Chocolate Spice Smoothie from B’Gabs Goodies (Chicago, IL)
Want to enjoy a healthy chocolate beverage? If so, head to B’Gabs Goodies in Chicago for a chocolate-spice smoothie. Made with cashew milk, raw cacao, maple syrup, and cayenne, this drink is ideal for either breakfast or a post-workout snack because it contains only simple, wholesome ingredients.
5. Checkpoint Cocktail from Au Lạc (Los Angeles, CA)
Known for its beautiful, fresh, plant-based Vietnamese cuisine, Au Lạc also has unique and creative cocktails. Case in point: the Checkpoint, a delicious combination of vodka, chocolate syrup, maca, coconut cream, blueberries, and grapes. Although it seems like a lot, this combination is rich and smooth and goes down easy.
Perri Lerner is a freelance writer and blogger eating her way around Portland, OR.
Photo courtesy of Nicole Axworthy
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
Thanks to us, theres no reason your babies behinds shouldnt be as vegan as the rest of their bodies.
Read More »
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Décor