In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
The definition of “recycling” is the use of something for a purpose other than its original intended use and modifying an item to fit a new use. And while, in the 21st century, recycling can often appear to be a recent trend, the idea of repurposing older items has existed for much longer than a few years. In fact, in some Asian countries, recycling has been a traditional way of life, as older items are passed down from generations to younger family members. This idea isn’t found only in Asia, as all across the world, people are realizing that abundance and waste are not luxuries, and this heightened awareness of recycling has lent itself to include cruelty-free furniture into our recycling routines. By avoiding materials that originate from living creatures, that are animal by-products, or are tested on animals, we can help save the planet, people, and animals. With our greater knowledge about the benefits of recycling, including how vegan design fits into this reusable revolution, we’re teaching you five ways in which you can recycle home or office furniture in an eco-friendly way:
1. Donate, sell, or give away
Nonprofit organizations and charities will redecorate their offices with your lived-in couch and chairs. Yard sales are also an option if you want to make some money for your new purchase.
2. Repair, refinish, or reupholster
Tightening screws, a bit of sanding, applying a fresh coat of paint, or replacing broken parts can extend the life your furniture (and save you money, too).
3. Buy used
Check recycling centers or consignment shops for good-as-new items. Be sure to check the amount of packaging.
4. Don’t throw away
Keep the plastic, cardboard, and other packaging materials that your deliveries arrive in. Store them in a bin, and reuse them to pack and mail gifts, or transport items in your next move.
5. Repurpose items and furniture
Found an old door leading to nowhere but a junkyard? Make it your headboard to cultivate some serious history and charm in your bedroom. Have an old bookcase? Instead of throwing it away, clean it, and use it as a bar to store liquor and glasses. Need a kitchen island but are short on money? Place two vintage demilune chests together to create a round island. Want a beautiful vanity? Use an antique wedding chest and stand (adding a sink and plumbing is easy!). Furthermore, attach wheels to a sturdy large basket and a rolling storage cart is born. Create a nightstand by stacking vintage suitcases on top of another, and use small side tables as stools (or stools as small side tables). Reach the heights of smart design with a small step ladder nightstand that you can keep next to your bed for easy access to all your books, alarm clock, lamp, and other bedside necessities. Next, old benches can be stacked to become shelves. Finally, when your mirror on the wall is no longer the fairest of them all, place it on a table, and attach handles for a chic serving tray.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism