Fraud Uncovered in Target's Removal of Hampton Creek
Investigators reveal unsigned letters sent to retailers, including Target, from an anonymous source that intended to disrupt Hampton Creek's business.
Food technology company Hampton Creek—known for its eggless vegan condiment Just Mayo—recently hired an investigative team to uncover the circumstances surrounding its products being inexplicably pulled from shelves at major retailer Target as well as other efforts to disrupt its business. The incident transpired on June 22, when Target began to remove Hampton Creek products from its shelves based on unsubstantiated allegations regarding product safety—namely allegations that some products were mislabeled, contained undeclared ingredients, and posed salmonella and listeria threats—made by media outlet Bloomberg.
The investigative team has since found several fraudulent, unsigned letters sent to retailers—of which, only Target took action, removing the company's products without an official recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The return address on the envelope of one letter sent to retailer(s) and turned over to investigators fraudulently purported to be from [Hampton Creek’s] CEO Josh Tetrick,” an unnamed party close to the investigation tells VegNews. “The letter itself was unsigned, addressed to retail partner executives, and cc’s Bloomberg.”
Andrew Noyes, spokesperson for Hampton Creek, tells VegNews that the FDA has since cleared the company of all purported safety claims. “We’ve remained confident that our products were safe and properly labeled, and that when presented with the facts, the FDA would agree,” Noyes says. “They informed us, after reviewing applicable evidence, that the matter is closed. We’ve reached out to Target to determine the steps needed to get back on shelves and restore our partnership. We're thankful to the millions of consumers and growing number of partners who continue to support our mission to build a food system where everyone is eating well.”
In 2015, the company was involved in a similar scandal, where 600 emails uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act request revealed a conspiracy between Unilever and the American Egg Board (AEB). Amongst many shocking developments, the documents revealed that a contractor for AEB, Anthony Zoletzzi, was paid an undisclosed sum to remove Hampton Creek’s eggless products from the shelves at Whole Foods Market. Just Mayo became popular after the 2015 outbreak of bird influenza—which, according to a new report, cost one egg industry company, Cal-Maine Foods, $74 million in profits due to vegan alternatives.
Luxury Hotel Adds Vegan Butchers Meats to Menus
The Herbivorous Butcher's vegan meats are now available at luxe Loews Minneapolis Hotel as part of the chain's new Flavor by Loews Hotels initiative.
Read More »
Miyoko's Debuts Philadelphia-Style Vegan Cream Cheese
The vegan cheese company is expanding its product line thanks to a new state-of-the-art factory.
Read More »
Vegan Ground Beef Expands to 600 Stores in Denmark
Dansk Supermarked—the country's largest retailer—has made the Danish version of Beyond Burger available to 1.5 million shoppers.
Read More »
Vice News Likens Dairy Farm to The Handmaid's Tale
A Michigan dairy farmer forcibly impregnates cows with embryos of elite cows to create genetically superior animals, unlike the dystopian storyline of Hulu original The Handmaid's Tale.
Read More »
Indian Startup Debuts Vegan Mutton
Good Dot has developed a vegan replacement for mutton—India's second most-consumed meat—in an effort to fight the country's increased meat consumption.
Read More »
- Ruby Rose Blasts Prada for Using Her Face on Leather Bag
- Vegan Lunch Introduced at 35 More LAUSD Schools
- Groundbreaking Vegan Documentary Debuts in 2018
- McDonald's Expands McVegan Burger Across Nordic Region
- $4 Trillion Investor Firm Warns Meat Tax is Inevitable
- Hollywood Writer Demands Vegan Dog Food at Shelters
- Vegan Cheese Market to Be Worth $4 Billion by 2024
- Factory Farm Workers Routinely Denied Bathroom Breaks
- Vegan Ice Cream Brand Raises $4 Million to Expand
- Plant-Based Investors Unite to Form Influential Group
- Vegan Burger Brand Incentivizes Restaurants with Cash
- Tyson Increases Investment in Vegan Brand Beyond Meat
- UK Supermarket Launches Vegan Mince Pies
- Farm Sanctuary Gala Invites Attendees to Wear PJs
- What the Health Nominated for Major Film Award
- Airline Adds Vegan Menu to Meet Passengers' Demands
- VegNews Receives Award for Taking Veganism Mainstream
- Amys Kitchen Debuts New Vegan Pizza Rolls
- Top Chefs Predict Tempeh Burgers Will Trend in 2018
- Tesco Doubles Meat-Free Options for Christmas