5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mothers Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
A vegan Mother's Day is the perfect way to celebrate everything your mom has done for you. And with so many amazing cruelty-free foods, cosmetics, restaurants, and films, you can spoil your mother all of Sunday, and well into Monday! From treating her to a yummy plant-based lunch or buying her adorable vegan jewelry, here are our five favorites ways we’ll be celebrating with our moms this weekend.
1. Cook her a vegan meal
Breakfast in bed has always been the cliché of Mother’s Day, so don’t do it. Instead, cook her a vegan breakfast to enjoy in the kitchen so no one makes a mess in bed. However, why not surprise your mom with a vegan breakfast for dinner? Breakfast burritos with tofu scramble, bell peppers, onions, and roasted potatoes is a delicious way to celebrate your mom, and she’ll never expect it! Or, why not make something sweet for her such as maple-peanut butter pancakes or a vegan lemon curd for dessert?
2. Take her to a vegan restaurant
If cooking isn’t your forté, take your mom to a vegan restaurant and let her splurge. This tip might seem obvious, but sometimes obvious is best. By taking your mom out for a meal, you’re expressing your thanks for all of her hard work. Plus, everyone likes having someone else prepare their meals (and do the dishes), so going out to eat definitely earns you mega-points in the parent-offspring relationship. A few of our favorites include No Bones Beach Club, Millennium, Crossroads Kitchen, Chicago Diner, Fare Well, Modern Love Brooklyn, and Vedge.
3. Give her a personalized gift
With the hassle of making food (or going to a restaurant) out of the way, it’s time for gifts. There’s nothing wrong with giving flowers and vegan chocolates, but if these are too generic for you, try Etsy.com, where you’ll find a plethora of unique vegan gifts. One shop called Crobinson Design sells vegan jewelry such as heart-shaped necklaces that say “Vegan Mom” on them, but designer/owner Christy Robinson can do custom orders if you want your jewelry to say something else. There are many other vegan options (ranging from t-shirts to vegan soap) on Etsy if you want to get your mom something other than jewelry.
4. Watch a movie
Who doesn’t love staying in and binge watching TV shows and movies, especially with your best friend? No one, so pick up some of your mom's favorite movies and maybe some movies with some vegan actors such as Joaquin Phoenix or Rooney Mara. You can always watch documentaries such as Cowspiracy, What The Health, and Vegucated to educate each other more on the vegan lifestyle. Seeing as how no movie night is complete without a slice or three, make your mom some vegan pizza with pineapple, mushrooms, and/or peppers. Once the pizza is gone, bust out a carton of NadaMoo’s Rocky Road, Birthday Cake, Snickerdoodle, or chocolate peanut butter flavors. Now that’s a happy Mother’s Day!
5. Vegan spa day
A vegan spa day is not only a wonderful idea for your mom but for yourself as well, so treat her like a queen with a fun outing that includes getting a mani-pedi, a massage, and a haircut. However, finding vegan spas/salons can be difficult, so call your local spas/salons to see if they carry any cruelty-free, vegan friendly lines, such as Aveda. Another option is to treat her in the comfort of her (or your) home. Hire a massage therapist to come to your house, and you can supply the cruelty-free massage oils. A DIY home spa—think facial masks and manicures—is another fun way to spend time together while pampering Mom. For inspiration, check out YouTube star Rawvana’s easy-to-make skincare recipes.
Rebecca Sykes is a writer and passionate vegan who is hoping to open her own animal sanctuary one day.
6 Vegan Thanksgiving Dinners for Any Food-Obsessed New Yorker
The Big Apple and its surrounding communities is redefining Thanksgiving with a cruelty-free twist.
Read More »
15 Vegan Hacks for Your Favorite Fast-Food Joints
Drive through one of these eateries for the most vegan National Fast Food Day ever.
Read More »
Olympic Medalist Bicycles Into Massive Vegan Concert, FTW
Dotsie Bausch is one of many high-profile vegans speaking at this weekends vegan music and food event.
Read More »
8 Ways to Veganize Everything in Your Fridge Without Anyone Noticing
National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day is one more reason to ditch the animal products.
Read More »
Is Your Meat-Eating Loved One Driving You Up the Wall? Here's How to Deal.
Melanie Joys latest book teaches us everything we need to know about communicating with the omnivores (and vegans) in our lives.
Read More »
- 10 Foolproof Ways to Make Your Vegan Holiday Celebration Fabulous and Unforgettable
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- 9 Vegan Ways to Hack Classic Holiday Pies
- 11 Vegan Nacho Recipes That Will Make You Forget About Taco Tuesday
- 9 Ways to Ensure Your Vegan Fall Wardrobe Makes You Look Hella Cute
- 6 Vegan Songs to Add to Your Fall Music Playlist
- 8 Vegan Treats for Your Companion Animals (and Maybe You)
- Vegan Parenting is Taking Over the Internet
- 6 New Vegan Pastas That Will Change the Way You Eat Dinner
- And the Winners of the 2017 Veggie Awards are …
- How Moby is Changing the World One Vegan Concert at a Time
- 10 Scary Halloween Costumes Only Vegans Will Understand
- 6 Vegan-Friendly Cat Cafés Where You Can Celebrate National Cat Day
- 5 Vegan Ways to Drink Your Chocolate
- The VegNews Guide to Perfect Halloween Pumpkins
- 7 Vegan Ways to Eat Your Beer on National American Beer Day
- 4 Innovative Vegan Companies We Found at Boston Veg Food Fest
- 12 Diners Where its Always National Greasy Food Day for Vegans
- 13 Things You Didn't Know About Nuts That Every Self-Respecting Vegan Should
- How a Vegan YouTube Megastar Finds Success By Catering to Meat-Eaters