5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
Summer lovin' happens so fast, especially when you're taking your date on vegan adventures.
The sun is shining, the beach is beckoning, and summer love is in the air. But with so many outdoors activities this time of year, wouldn’t it be great to have someone with whom to share the gorgeous weather? The answer, of course, is yes, which is why we’ve got you covered for vegan date ideas sure to impress. From warm-weather cooking to breaking a sweat in the great outdoors, these five ideas are perfect for basking in the sun, vegan-style.
1. Park it
A picnic date might be a bit cliché, but there’s nothing better than relaxing in the shade, people watching, and noshing on nibbles such as artisanal vegan cheeses (Kite Hill is a personal fave) with seeded crackers, homemade plum basil jam, and a portable dessert. Having a date at a park is also a much less intimidating atmosphere—as opposed to a fancy restaurant—that ensures light and fun conversation will be flowing for as long as your inconspicuous Thermos is filled with wine.
You don’t want to break a sweat in front of your crush, so any cooking that has to do with a hot stove is a definite no-no. Instead, create raw dishes such as our Marinated Kale Salad that allow you to work together in the kitchen … with the windows open, of course. Doing so allows you to show off your knife skills and maybe hand-feed kale to one another. Whatever you choose to make, don’t forget the Very Berry Vegan Popsicles, which can help lovebirds cool down when the romance gets hot.
Want to know if that summer fling will last through Halloween? Take your date to a local animal shelter, and watch how he or she interacts with animals. A positive experience means you’ve got yourself a keeper! If you’re near a farmed animal sanctuary, save your snuggles for pigs, cows, and chickens who will return the love the same way as cats and dogs. You’ll learn a lot about your partner while helping animals, which is a total win-win.
4. Hot for hikes
Summer means breaking a sweat, and no physical activity does this better than a good hike up your favorite local mountain. Grab your backpack, and load up on snacks (we suggest dried mango from Trader Joe’s) before choosing a trail flat enough that you can have a good conversation while getting your heart pumping. If your hike is going to be an all-day activity, end your date by watching the sunset. If all goes well, watching the sunrise over a pair of Mason jars filled with overnight oats is just a few hours away.
5. Frozen fun
For the sweet-loving types (that’s us!), head to a frozen yogurt shop, where vegan options are easier to find than ever. Chains such as Pinkberry, Menchie's, and 16 Handles have recently introduced plant-based yogurt options, which allows us to swirl our yogurt before piling on nuts, fresh berries, and toasted coconut until our creations tower over the cup. If your date is also vegan (score!), they’ll understand if your excitement for dairy-free froyo trumps your remembering to share.
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever