A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
A dire diagnosis can turn your life into a timeline grimly defined by “before” and “after,” making you face the unimaginable—the looming possibility of your early mortality. But for some, a frightening diagnosis is also an opportunity to heal. VegNews’ annual feature, “Veganism Saved My Life”—available now in the January+February Health and Wellness Issue—features the heart-wrenching stories of five individuals whose lives were saved by veganism.
Heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea
Two to five years to live, lifelong blindness, lung transplant
How Kate Did It:
An average of three out of every million people are plagued with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension—a degenerative disease that restricts blood flow to the lungs, weakening the heart—and Kate McGoey-Smith was one of them. Shortly after her shocking diagnosis, she found herself beholden to an oxygen tank, and given the deteriorating state of her health, had no choice but to stop working. The bad news kept coming when McGoey-Smith began to lose her eyesight (caused by a lack of oxygen to her eyes), developed diabetic retinopathy, and was prescribed a mixed cocktail of drugs. After being placed on a lung transplant monitoring list—one of her last signs that if she didn’t undergo a radical change, death would be imminent—something serendipitous happened.
Flipping on the TV one night, she found herself watching the powerful, plant-promoting documentary Forks Over Knives. Intrigued and desperate, McGoey-Smith scheduled a consultation with famed plant-based medical doctor Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. She promptly attended his workshop on the healing power of plants, and decided once and for all to take charge of her own healing. Teaching herself how to cook while she was still blind and unable to stand up, she was finally on her way to a radical recovery. Today, McGoey-Smith is down 110 pounds and nearly all of her symptoms have vanished—her last attempt to save her own life worked. Her risk for heart failure and dependency on medication both plummeted, she no longer needed a lung transplant, and, astoundingly, her eyesight has been fully restored—proving that without a doubt, Kate McGoey-Smith can finally see the full impact of veganism.
What Kate Eats In A Day
Oatmeal with blueberries and steamed greens
Pita pizza with roasted vegetables, and a sweet potato with steamed broccoli and cauliflower cheese
Potato-leek soup, kale salad with oil-free dressing, and steamed vegetables
Vegan chocolate mousse
Seasonal fruit, including berries, apples, and pears
“Your plant-based diet will prove that true healing is at the end of your fork!”
For more of VegNews’ Veganism Saved My Life series, check out Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams’ story, heart attack survivor Paul Figueroa’s story, and medical doctor Brook Goldner's story, and check back next week for more. And be sure to pick up a copy of the January+February issue of VegNews, on newsstands now!
A Vegan Father's Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
Read More »
- 7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List