6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
For LGBTQ vegans and their biggest fans, February 14 is about to get a whole lot gayer. VegNews Senior Editor Jasmin Singer will settle for no less.
These days, I’m in the mood to #resist—and since part of that resistance means being even louder and prouder about my gayness than ever before, I’m ready to queer anything that crosses my path, including Valentine’s Day. Are you with me? Then here’s what I suggest:
1. Gay vegan music
Set the mood with music. As a child of the '80s, I strongly believe that those tunes should take the form of queer vegan rocker Joan Jett—your perfect (and perfectly hot) V-Day serenader. While it’s true that “I Love Rock and Roll,” what I might love more is Jett’s commitment to the cause, which leaves me very much in the mood (for philanthropy, that is).
2. Gay vegan chocolate
Chocolate is obviously mandatory on Valentine’s Day, so I recommend queering it up by biting into a Furious Vulva made by artisanal vegan chocolate-maker Lagusta’s Luscious. And there’s really nothing more I need to say about that.
3. Gay vegan dining
No, but really, there’s nothing I love more on Valentine’s Day than eating out. That’s why I recommend that you find your favorite local queer-owned vegan eatery. Some possibilities for rainbow veggie destinations include Two Mammas Vegan Kitchen in Oakland, CA; Vtopia Restaurant and Cheese Shop in Portland, OR; and Viva Vegeria in San Antonio, TX. Support your local plant-based queer.
4. Gay vegan ice cream
If you’re like me, you’re a gay man trapped in a lesbian’s body, so after you’re done belting the entire soundtrack to anything-Sondheim, you might want to treat yourself to some Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream by VegNews Bloggy Award Winner Vegan Mos. Headed by dapper husbands Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment (whose book NYC Vegan is about to drop—along with my homesick tears), you’ll fall in love with this duo’s talent to make food delicious, luscious, and sexy.
5. Gay vegan ethics
Speaking of “the Mos,” they are main players in a video I produced called “Coming Out for Animals,” which captures the stories of how LGBTQ activists have made the connection to animal-rights. It’s a different-spoke, same-wheel kinda thing—you catch my drift. Animal-rights and LGBTQ rights are actually intimately enmeshed, which is a reminder to each of us to celebrate our love for V-Day by showing solidarity for other oppressed groups.
6. Gay vegan sex
Right. And no Valentine’s Day is successfully queered without a hemp rainbow flogger. Rest assured that nobody was harmed in the making of that sexiness (unless they wanted to be).
Jasmin Singer is the Senior Editor (and love columnist) for VegNews, the author of the memoir Always Too Much and Never Enough, and the co-host of the Our Hen House podcast.
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert
- 34 Reasons Why Vegans Are in the Cool Kids Club