From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
A dire diagnosis can turn your life into a timeline grimly defined by “before” and “after,” making you face the unimaginable—the looming possibility of your early mortality. But for some, a frightening diagnosis is also an opportunity to heal. VegNews’ annual feature, “Veganism Saved My Life”—available now in the January+February Health and Wellness Issue—features the heart-wrenching stories of five individuals whose lives were saved by veganism.
Brooke Goldner, MD
Systemic lupus erythematosus, Stage 4 kidney failure, stroke
Six months to live, risk of death if pregnant, major stroke
How Brooke Did It
When Brooke Goldner was 16, she was was in stage 4 kidney failure due to a serious case of lupus. Initially told she had six months to live, Goldner defied all odds by staying alive with the help of intense chemotherapy, and upon completion, was able to wean herself off all medications. But her struggle was far from over.
When she entered medical school in her twenties, Goldner developed anti-phospholipid antibodies—a painful malady that causes blood clots, which in turn gave her double vision and even resulted in a stroke. She dealt with this new diagnosis by injecting her stomach with blood thinners every day, while stomaching the likely reality that she would never be able to bear children.
When all seemed lost, Goldner became romantically involved with fitness trainer Thomas Tadlock, who encouraged her to stop consuming cheese and eggs (she was a long-time vegetarian by that point). Trading in her animal products for a high-raw diet rich in fresh vegetables, after four months, Goldner no longer suffered from joint pain, migraines, fatigue, and more shockingly, her lupus and blood clot-inducing antibodies disappeared too. After two years of perfect lab results, she weaned herself off blood thinners, and four years later—even though she was still warned against it—Goldner became pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy. Now healthy as ever at 40, Goldner has dedicated her career as a medical doctor to advocating for disease prevention and treatment by way of vegetables.
What Brooke Eats In a Day
Green smoothie with kale, chia seeds, and pear
Avocado sandwich on sprouted bread
Spicy curry lentils with steamed broccoli, tofu, and peanut sauce
Raw vegan cheesecake
Peaches, nectarines, and pears
“Focus on what you want for your life and health, instead of what you think you might miss out on.”
For more of VegNews’ Veganism Saved My Life series, check out Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams’ story, and check back next week for more. And be sure to pick up a copy of the January+February issue of VegNews, on newsstands now!
After photo courtesy of Mellisa Schwartz
Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
Are you someone who practices mindful meditation? If so, heres why you should be vegan (if you arent already).
Read More »
Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
Lets put ethical, moral, and environmentally conscious champions in government.
Read More »
5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
A 10-night vegan cruise with healthy food and a plethora of plant-based celebs? Yes, please!
Read More »
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown