Top 10 Vegan Cities in America
VegNews editors unveil their ranking of the most vegan-friendly cities in the United States—rich with food, fashion, and culture (sans animal products).
In the much-anticipated May+June issue of VegNews—on newsstands now—we’re thrilled to bring you the top 10 vegan cities in the country. From food to culture, these towns are at the forefront of plant-based trends. For all the delicious details on the can’t-miss dishes and events, pick up a copy today (or subscribe). But for now, here’s a sneak peek at the top 10 vegan cities in the country!
1. Los Angeles, CA took top spot due to it’s incredibly fast-growing vegan community. You can find everything from high-end dining at Crossroads to greasy-spoon vegan eats at Doomie’s Home Cookin’ in this Southern California city. In addition to the booming vegan food scene, there are several festivals and street fairs including the can’t miss Eat Drink Vegan Beer and Food Festival (happening this month), earning LA the top spot in our rankings.
2. New York City, NY came in second with wildly diverse food options and a quickly growing vegan fashion scene. MooShoes and Brave GentleMan are making a name for vegan style in this fashion-forward city, while restaurateurs like Ravi DeRossi are transforming the food scene into a vegan foodie’s daydream. Plus, there are no other cities that have an annual Veggie Pride Parade!
3. Philadelphia, PA sealed their third place position on our list and Philly.com seems to agree, as they foresaw last year as being “The Year of the Vegan.” Top Zagat-rated restaurant Vedge and the indulgent Blackbird Pizzeria help Philly earn high marks on our list, as well as fun veg-centric events like pop-up vegan flea markets at V Marks the Shop.
4. Portland, OR is known for being a vegan hotspot with it’s vegan mini-mall, featuring a bakery, clothing store, tattoo shop, and all-vegan grocery market, earning this hipster-rich Pacific Northwest city fourth place on our list. Indulge in vegan options at their booming food cart blocks and stop by their all vegan bar Bye & Bye for great eats and drinks.
5. Oakland, CA’s vegan food offerings have quickly expanded over the past few years, earning them recognition as the Bay Area’s hub for vegan dining, and fifth spot on our list. Top-rated high-end restaurant Millennium, vegan soul food restaurant Souley Vegan, and all-vegan coffee shop and bakery Timeless Coffee are just a few of the many eateries making sure Oakland’s vegan community is rich with delicious eats.
6. Miami, FL took sixth place, boasting an all-vegan butcher shop, high-end restaurant Plant Food + Wine with celebrity chef Matthew Kenney, and vegan bakery Bunnie Cakes. But what really won Miami a spot in our list is the amazing Seed Food and Wine Fest, held in November, which features celebrity plant-based chefs, exhibitors, athletes, and authors. This Floridian city is easily the most vegan-friendly in the state, and its beach locale has us planning our next vacation right this minute.
7. Chicago, IL snagged seventh place, thanks to spots like The Chicago Diner, an iconic veg eatery open since 1983, and the annual Chicago VeganMania festival, which recently attracted more than 5,000 attendees. With the recent opening of the National Vegetarian Museum, Chicago has sealed itself as one of the top vegan cities in the US.
8. Dallas, TX is putting an end to misconceptions about vegan food availability in Texas with numerous veg-friendly eateries and the Dallas, TX State Veggie Fair, which saw more 12,000 attendees last year. In Dallas, you can find classic Texas BBQ veganized and diner food served up in droves at the two locations of the all-vegan Spiral Diner.
9. Las Vegas, NV has a surprising burgeoning vegan food scene where you can find vegan eats in unlikely place like the Wynn Las Vegas casino and indulge in the all-vegan customizable cinnamon roll chain Cinnaholic. They take ninth place on our list with their expansive vegan eateries and all-vegan drive-thru, Vegeway, which serves up food inspired by In-N-Out-style burgers.
10. Detroit, MI secured their spot on our list thanks in part to the growing vegan food offerings from eateries like Detroit Vegan Soul and Greenspace Café, a whole foods-focused restaurant run by Dr. Joel Kahn—an internationally renowned, plant-based cardiologist of 25 years. In Detroit, you can get your vegan soul food fix while also keeping it healthy at juice bars like Drought Juice.
For more of VegNews' Top 10 Best Vegan Cities, check out what locals have to say about:
What to Do When You Feel Like the Only Vegan in Texas
Even the most Southern of Southerners can be sold on plant-based eating when a little vegan wizardry is applied to food that is traditionally derived from animals.
Read More »
4 Reasons Every Vegan Needs to Visit Oman
The Jewel of Arabia is also a vegan paradise.
Read More »
There Is More to Vegan Canada Than Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver
Venture further into the Great White North for a plethora of amazing plant-based foods.
Read More »
5 Hidden Vegan Gems Found Only in Nashville
Sometimes, the restaurants not explicitly specializing in vegan cuisine serve the most exceptional plant-based options.
Read More »
How to Celebrate a Vegan Halloween in Norfolk, VA
Ghosts, goblins, and delicious vegan grub await in the historic American city.
Read More »
- The Vegan Explosion thats Taking Over Binghamton, NY
- The Tropical Vegan Inn You Must Visit Now
- A Vegan Fall-Lovers Guide to the Hudson Valley
- A Vegan Guide to Ann Arbor
- A Vegan Guide to Cuba
- 4 Vegan Snacks at Gas Stations that are Perfect for Summer Road Trips
- 5 Vegan-Friendly Beach Towns Perfect for Late Summer
- The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART TWO
- The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
- Why Asheville is One of Americas Hottest Vegan Cities
- A Vegan Guide to Santo Domingo
- 5 Fabulous Vegan Experiences in Paris
- A Professional Vegan's Guide to Los Angeles
- A Vegan Guide to Huntsville, Alabama
- 5 Ways to Throw a Summer Vegan Birthday Party
- 7 Places to Meet Vegans this Summer
- The Ultimate Oregon Vegan Wine Trip
- A Vegan Guide to Montreal
- A Professional Vegan's Guide to Miami
- Vegan Guide to the Not-So-Vegan Food Network