6 Vegan Lip Glosses Perfect for Summer
Summers the time for days at the beach, warm nights under the stars, and lips that sport the perfect coat of gloss.
Some things go hand in hand with the summer’s bright, steamy days: eating al fresco, trips to the beach (or lake, for us inland folk), and glossy lips that perfectly accompany sun-kissed skin. In order to give you more time to soak in the sun, we’ve found six cruelty-free lip glosses that’ll give you a classic—and ethical—summertime look.
1. Tarte LipSurgence
If you’re looking to infuse your hot weather look with a little summertime peach, Tarte’s LipSurgence in Blissful is a wonderful lip color. Offering a fair amount of shine and a nice natural shade, LipSurgence makes a great go-to gloss to tote with you at all times. Wear it with a full face of makeup for a sexy polished look or with your bare skin to add just a bit of shine. For something on the bronzer end of the spectrum, try the gloss in Park Ave Princess. You can pick from eight shades (all vegan and cruelty-free) at the Tarte website, or test them in person at Sephora.
2. e.l.f. Lip Lacquer
Maybe you’re a purist who doesn’t want any pigment in your pretty gloss. If so, for a little bit of shine to achieve a color-free natural look, try e.l.f.’s Lip Lacquer in clear, which is only $2 at the e.l.f. website. All e.l.f. makeup is vegan, so if you decide you want the affordability of an e.l.f. gloss but crave a little color, you can pick from an assortment of shades from purple to beige. Widely available in drugstores, e.l.f. can also be found at the Target, Amazon, and Ulta websites.
3. Milk Makeup Holographic Lip Gloss
It’s always nice when a cosmetics company labels its vegan products as such, so cruelty-free Milk Makeup gets extra points for indicating its vegan status at its Sephora displays. With an edgy aesthetic, Milk Makeup’s glosses are great for those of us who want a bit of drama mixed with our gloss. With its post-modern white sheen, the Holographic Lip Gloss is great for those who want a look that’s more avant-garde than the usual gloss offerings. If you can’t get to a store to purchase it, you can order it online.
4. Modern Minerals Lip Gloss
For high gloss and a splash of color, Modern Minerals’ Goddess Lotus Wei infused Lip Gloss is a sheer red shade deliciously scented with lavender, chamomile, rose, and neroli (an essential oil derived from the bitter orange tree) that packs a bit of a (nonviolent) punch. As a moisturizing gloss, this shiny, high impact shade will smooth your lips to prepare you when your date leans in for a smooch. Best of all, Modern Minerals makeup is 100-percent vegan, so you can feel good about supporting a business that supports animals.
5. Hourglass Extreme Sheen
Hourglass cosmetics offers many products that are vegan, including the luxurious Extreme Sheen lip gloss in Ignite. The shade brings a glowing light bronze gloss with the subtlest sparkle to summertime lips. With its sheer color and medium level shine, Ignite is a great daytime gloss you can carry in your beach bag as well as a nighttime lip color to complement your evening dress. If you crave more Hourglass makeup, stop by the company’s website to assess which products are vegan.
6. Arbonne Glossed Over Lip Gloss
All-vegan Arbonne has been offering makeup for many years. Available from the Arbonne website for $25, the Glossed Over Lip Gloss in Cosmos is a fun, strong magenta shade with plenty of shine (which is perfect for when more color is in order), while Cosmos works equally well for a hot summer night out or for bringing some summer fun to days at work. There are 10 other shades from which to choose, from the perfectly pink Linden to the deep purple Hyacinth.
Maya Gottfried is the author of Vegan Love: Dating and Partnering for the Cruelty-Free Gal and Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary.
15 Vegan Hacks for Your Favorite Fast-Food Joints
Drive through one of these eateries for the most vegan National Fast Food Day ever.
Read More »
Olympic Medalist Bicycles Into Massive Vegan Concert, FTW
Dotsie Bausch is one of many high-profile vegans speaking at this weekends vegan music and food event.
Read More »
8 Ways to Veganize Everything in Your Fridge Without Anyone Noticing
National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day is one more reason to ditch the animal products.
Read More »
Is Your Meat-Eating Loved One Driving You Up the Wall? Here's How to Deal.
Melanie Joys latest book teaches us everything we need to know about communicating with the omnivores (and vegans) in our lives.
Read More »
10 Foolproof Ways to Make Your Vegan Holiday Celebration Fabulous and Unforgettable
Want to impress even the most stubborn omni guest this holiday season? We’ve got you covered.
Read More »
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- 9 Vegan Ways to Hack Classic Holiday Pies
- 11 Vegan Nacho Recipes That Will Make You Forget About Taco Tuesday
- 9 Ways to Ensure Your Vegan Fall Wardrobe Makes You Look Hella Cute
- 6 Vegan Songs to Add to Your Fall Music Playlist
- 8 Vegan Treats for Your Companion Animals (and Maybe You)
- Vegan Parenting is Taking Over the Internet
- 6 New Vegan Pastas That Will Change the Way You Eat Dinner
- And the Winners of the 2017 Veggie Awards are …
- How Moby is Changing the World One Vegan Concert at a Time
- 10 Scary Halloween Costumes Only Vegans Will Understand
- 6 Vegan-Friendly Cat Cafés Where You Can Celebrate National Cat Day
- 5 Vegan Ways to Drink Your Chocolate
- The VegNews Guide to Perfect Halloween Pumpkins
- 7 Vegan Ways to Eat Your Beer on National American Beer Day
- 4 Innovative Vegan Companies We Found at Boston Veg Food Fest
- 12 Diners Where its Always National Greasy Food Day for Vegans
- 13 Things You Didn't Know About Nuts That Every Self-Respecting Vegan Should
- How a Vegan YouTube Megastar Finds Success By Catering to Meat-Eaters
- A VegNews Exclusive with the Face of Vegan Russia