6 Vegan Lip Glosses Perfect for Summer
Summers the time for days at the beach, warm nights under the stars, and lips that sport the perfect coat of gloss.
Some things go hand in hand with the summer’s bright, steamy days: eating al fresco, trips to the beach (or lake, for us inland folk), and glossy lips that perfectly accompany sun-kissed skin. In order to give you more time to soak in the sun, we’ve found six cruelty-free lip glosses that’ll give you a classic—and ethical—summertime look.
1. Tarte LipSurgence
If you’re looking to infuse your hot weather look with a little summertime peach, Tarte’s LipSurgence in Blissful is a wonderful lip color. Offering a fair amount of shine and a nice natural shade, LipSurgence makes a great go-to gloss to tote with you at all times. Wear it with a full face of makeup for a sexy polished look or with your bare skin to add just a bit of shine. For something on the bronzer end of the spectrum, try the gloss in Park Ave Princess. You can pick from eight shades (all vegan and cruelty-free) at the Tarte website, or test them in person at Sephora.
2. e.l.f. Lip Lacquer
Maybe you’re a purist who doesn’t want any pigment in your pretty gloss. If so, for a little bit of shine to achieve a color-free natural look, try e.l.f.’s Lip Lacquer in clear, which is only $2 at the e.l.f. website. All e.l.f. makeup is vegan, so if you decide you want the affordability of an e.l.f. gloss but crave a little color, you can pick from an assortment of shades from purple to beige. Widely available in drugstores, e.l.f. can also be found at the Target, Amazon, and Ulta websites.
3. Milk Makeup Holographic Lip Gloss
It’s always nice when a cosmetics company labels its vegan products as such, so cruelty-free Milk Makeup gets extra points for indicating its vegan status at its Sephora displays. With an edgy aesthetic, Milk Makeup’s glosses are great for those of us who want a bit of drama mixed with our gloss. With its post-modern white sheen, the Holographic Lip Gloss is great for those who want a look that’s more avant-garde than the usual gloss offerings. If you can’t get to a store to purchase it, you can order it online.
4. Modern Minerals Lip Gloss
For high gloss and a splash of color, Modern Minerals’ Goddess Lotus Wei infused Lip Gloss is a sheer red shade deliciously scented with lavender, chamomile, rose, and neroli (an essential oil derived from the bitter orange tree) that packs a bit of a (nonviolent) punch. As a moisturizing gloss, this shiny, high impact shade will smooth your lips to prepare you when your date leans in for a smooch. Best of all, Modern Minerals makeup is 100-percent vegan, so you can feel good about supporting a business that supports animals.
5. Hourglass Extreme Sheen
Hourglass cosmetics offers many products that are vegan, including the luxurious Extreme Sheen lip gloss in Ignite. The shade brings a glowing light bronze gloss with the subtlest sparkle to summertime lips. With its sheer color and medium level shine, Ignite is a great daytime gloss you can carry in your beach bag as well as a nighttime lip color to complement your evening dress. If you crave more Hourglass makeup, stop by the company’s website to assess which products are vegan.
6. Arbonne Glossed Over Lip Gloss
All-vegan Arbonne has been offering makeup for many years. Available from the Arbonne website for $25, the Glossed Over Lip Gloss in Cosmos is a fun, strong magenta shade with plenty of shine (which is perfect for when more color is in order), while Cosmos works equally well for a hot summer night out or for bringing some summer fun to days at work. There are 10 other shades from which to choose, from the perfectly pink Linden to the deep purple Hyacinth.
Maya Gottfried is the author of Vegan Love: Dating and Partnering for the Cruelty-Free Gal and Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary.
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and 10 parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too