Vegan Weddings 2017 (Jackie Johnson & Adam McCabe)
A chance meeting at a mutual friends party turned into a lifetime of happiness for this California couple.
The big day: July 16, 2016
The place: Topanga Canyon, CA
Honeymoon: London, Paris, and Amsterdam
The cake: Doughnut buffet from Los Angeles’ Donut Friend, including the Polar Berry Club (lemon glaze, mixed berries, and mint) and the X-Ray Speculoos (cookie butter filling and topped with chocolate glaze and salt)
Menu standouts: Portabello cordon bleu with cashew-macadamia cheese; vegan chorizo and vegetable empanadas; grilled asparagus with a pinenut sauce
Guest swag: Pink tiki glasses and potted pink cacti
Jackie and Adam's story: Six years ago, Johnson and McCabe locked eyes at an Upright Citizen’s Brigade house party, but officially got to know each other later, the modern way, via Facebook. On their first date, they discovered they were both living the plant life. After the “I’m a vegan,” “me, too” exchange, they were all-in. Five years later, Adam proposed in the Bahamas after surprising Jackie with her dream day of swimming alongside wild pigs on Pig Island, snorkeling in the Thunderball grotto (made famous in the eponymous James Bond film), and drinking fresh coconut water from coconuts cut right from the tree.
The wedding day: The wedding day was an all-pink affair, from Jackie’s dress to the vintage decor to the champagne—and even her dog’s dip-dyed pink tail. There were also several DIY touches as Jackie made all of the cake stands out of thriftshop candlesticks and plates, including their Simpson's cake topper, and the bowties and pocket squares worn by all of the male family members and groomsmen.
Can't get enough of vegan weddings? Pick up a copy of the July+August 2017 issue of VegNews, on newsstands now! And discover all of the caterers, cake makers, wedding venues, and photographers used by our 2017 couples by clicking here. Don't miss these other spectacular plant-based weddings:
Emily Brobeck & Pierre Wooldridge
Monica Pandian & Praveen Raj
Lindsay Jones & Daniel Cano
Alana Cowl & Daniel Ferens
Check out all of our 2016 vegan weddings couples here!
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books