8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
From Asian-influenced and Greek to Indian and pizza-inspired, there are flavors from around the world waiting to be incorporated into your favorite tortilla.
Everyone loves burritos, but sometimes a little change is necessary. And by “change,” we mean burritos that aren’t filled with just beans, rice, guacamole, and salsa. With this in mind, and because it’s National Burrito Day, we’re highlighting eight plant-based burritos that’ll make you rethink how to approach your next burrito experience.
1. Indian Curried Cauliflower & Chickpea Burrito
Similar to a samosa but in a burrito package, this recipe from Oh My Veggies is a great way to use leftover Indian food in an inspired way. Using coconut basmati rice, cauliflower, chickpeas, and a heavy dose of spices, this dish comes together quickly and satisfies all of your Indian food cravings.
2. Greek burrito
Veggies Save the Day’s Greek burrito is much like a gyro but with tortilla instead of pita. This recipe features “traditional” burrito ingredients such as lettuce, tomato, and red onion, but the “meaty” bean/nut mixture made by combining lentils, chickpeas, and walnuts with tomato sauce and spices is what gives this meal its Greek influence.
3. Pizza burrito
As if we needed more reason to eat pizza, Veggies Don’t Bite has provided us with this simple recipe for a pizza burrito. In its simplest form, the dish combines pizza sauce, spinach, mushrooms, cream sauce, and sausage crumbles before baking in the oven.
4. Fall Harvest Burrito
If you’re looking for a meal with the taste of fall flavors or a tasty way to eat more grains and vegetables, look no further than this burrito from Veggies Don’t Bite. With Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, brown rice, apples, and pistachios, this concoction is packed with healthy ingredients ready to dip into a homemade raspberry mayonnaise.
5. Jamaican jerk jackfruit Caribbean burrito
Jackfruit has become a recent star of the vegan world, taking the place of meat in many recipes. For this dish from Vegan Richa, homemade Jamaican jerk seasoning, mango, black beans, and cucumber give the burrito a Caribbean feel … even when you’re thousands of miles away from the islands.
6. White bean and avocado-baked burrito
These burritos are more traditional but come with a slight variation due to the use of white beans over refried or black beans and the addition of mushrooms. Baking these burritos gives them more of an enchilada feel, but you can smother them with sauce in the oven or dip them in the zesty avocado lime dressing once out of the oven.
7. Macnocheeto burrito
Sadly, this burrito is not a recipe, but it just sounds too good not to include. From famed vegan food truck Homegrown Smoker in Portland, OR comes this burrito filled with smoked soy curls, barbecued beans, homemade vegan cheese, grilled peppers and onions, barbecue sauce, and cheese sauce.
8. Bánh mì burrito
The Bánh mì has quickly become another popular hand-held meal perfect for those on the run or fond of food trucks. These mushroom Bánh mì burritos from Pickles & Honey offer plenty of alternatives for those who prefer to use tofu in place of the marinated mushrooms, collard greens instead of the tortilla (for a gluten-free version), or quinoa instead of brown rice. The options are endless, but each result is totally tasty!
Hayden Seder is the Content Editor of SVPN Magazine in Sun Valley, Idaho and has been vegan for 14 years.
Photo courtesy of Vegan Richa
A Vegan Father's Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
Read More »
- 7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List