Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
The best way to convince your loved ones to go vegan? Be nice to them!
Jackie Day has been vegan for more than 30 years, but it wasn’t until the release of 2016’s The Vegan Way: 21 Days to a Happier, Healthier Plant-Based Lifestyle That Will Transform Your Home, Your Diet, and You that the plant-based world took note. Celebrities such as Mayim Bialik and James Cameron heralded the 320-page tome—which includes vegan recipes, plant-based facts, and photographs taken by Day—that serves as a lifestyle guide for anyone looking to go (or stay) vegan. With a writing style that gives readers a sense of empathy, Day evokes a feeling of sincerity throughout the book, as if she is by readers’ sides as they flip through the pages. And because the holidays are all about being mindful of the good in our lives, we decided now was a good time to speak to Day regarding her book and how her fans have inspired her to spread her cruelty-free message.
VegNews: What inspired you to write The Vegan Way?
Jackie Day: I always wanted to write a book to help people transition to a healthy vegan way of life, but the opportunity to do so actually just landed in my lap. A literary agent who was impressed with my work asked if I’d be interested in writing a book. I seized the opportunity on the spot, of course!
VN: What have been the biggest rewards and challenges of being an author?
JD: I had to get over the fright of knowing I had to write a minimum of 70,000 words. Once I found my groove, though, I went well past the goal and then had difficulty letting go. Sending the final draft of my manuscript off to the publisher, knowing it was going to become a book, was more difficult than I’d ever imagined. The rewards? Ah, there are so many. Best of all, so many people who have read The Vegan Way are going vegan! That means there’s more wellness and happiness in the world and less suffering.
VN: What do you hope readers take away from the book?
JD: I hope readers feel inspired and empowered, and from what I’ve heard, they do. With every dollar we spend, and every bite we take, we have the power to make the world a better place, in an easy, affordable, fun, and delicious way. I want my words to reduce suffering throughout the world, and to increase happiness and wellness for all. I want people to read The Vegan Way and say, “Hey, this is easy, tasty, and fun.”
VN: What's the coolest thing about the vegan lifestyle?
JD: As a vegan, you live your ethics; there’s no cognitive dissonance. As I wrote in The Vegan Way, “When you’re vegan, no matter how bad your day goes, you always know you’re making someone else’s day a little bit better.”
VN: What’s your favorite compliment from a fan?
JD: People have told me The Vegan Way has helped them lose weight, feel healthier, and that it’s their “go-to” resource for everything vegan. One reader just sent the sweetest card saying, “I have gotten more out of your book than all the others I have read” and another said it’s “like talking to your best friend.” I’ve also heard from seasoned vegans that it’s a “game-changer” and that they, too, have learned tons of new things.
Robin Raven is a journalist and the author of Santa’s First Vegan Christmas.
We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
Were looking at you, Jay-Z, Tracee Ellis Ross, Big Freedia, and Dave Grohl.
Read More »
Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
Are you someone who practices mindful meditation? If so, heres why you should be vegan (if you arent already).
Read More »
Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
Lets put ethical, moral, and environmentally conscious champions in government.
Read More »
5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
A 10-night vegan cruise with healthy food and a plethora of plant-based celebs? Yes, please!
Read More »
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t