Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Oakland
Vegan soul food, doughnuts, and pizza? You must be in Oakland.
To celebrate VegNews naming the Top 10 Best Vegan Cities in America (found in our May+June 2017 issue), we asked our favorite vegans to explain why their winning town should be atop every meat-free traveler’s list.
Due to the array of people fleeing the expensive rents in San Francisco, the city of Oakland is booming. And so are the region’s vegan options. There are many vegan-only locations from which to choose, but plant-based options are not hard to find in pretty much every restaurant, coffee shop, or bar in town. I’ve lived in Oakland for five years, and I still haven’t been able to try all the vegan treasures within the city limits (I’m looking at you, Two Mammas’ Vegan Kitchen). Luckily, these eateries aren’t going anywhere, and I plan to hit them up ASAP. That said, I have tried a lot of food, and I have not been disappointed. So, if you’re visiting the San Francisco Bay Area, don’t forget to visit Oakland if you want to be a satisfied and satiated vegan.
Top 3 vegan eateries
1. Millennium Restaurant: This was my favorite restaurant in San Francisco, and now I live only about 10 minutes away from its latest location! My boyfriend and I love going on special occasions, especially when they have prix fixe dinners such as the Annual Southern Comfort Dinner or the recent four-course beer brunch featuring Cajun Spiced Cornmeal Crusted Cauliflower and a Dark Chocolate Pretzel Tartlet.
2. Souley Vegan: I also love Souley Vegan near Jack London Square because I’m a big sucker for comfort food. My favorites are the Creole Pop’ens (a veganized version of jalapeño poppers) and the Southern Fried Tofu Burger. If you’re looking for a pint of craft beer to drink along with your delicious meal, Beer Revolution is next door (featuring 50 taps of rotating craft beer) and allows you to eat your vegan soul food on their outdoor patio.
3. Donut Farm: I am very fond of the brunch at Donut Farm, previously known as Pepples Donut Farm. The location is a bit of a tight space, but the Biscuits (or doughnuts) and Gravy Plate is worth the cramped area.
Top 3 non-vegan restaurants with vegan options
1. Analog: Located in downtown Oakland, Analog is 50-percent vegan and features sandwiches such as The Rachel (with homemade corned-beef seitan, citrus slaw, pickled onions, and chipotle and lime aioli) and a vegan twist on the Bánh mì called “Banh Mi? No, Banh You!” Don’t forget to save some room for the sweet potato salad on the side.
2. Zachary’s Pizza: This pizzeria is also great if you’re looking for a filling Chicago-style pizza. They can make a pizza with vegan cheese and a wheat crust.
3. Homeroom: If you’re craving vegan macaroni and cheese, look no further than Homeroom in Oakland’s Piedmont neighborhood. The restaurant has a decadent Vegan Mac, which you can customize to your tastes with add-ons such as peas, spinach, vegan chorizo, or potato chips!
Favorite vegan item in Oakland
I’m not good at picking favorites, but the menu item I get the most is the Vegan Pilgrim sandwich from Ike’s Place. The sandwich includes vegan turkey and cheese, cranberry sauce, and sriracha, treating your taste buds to sweet, savory, and spicy flavors.
Ultimate vegan meal
My dream Oakland vegan meal is the Coriander & Arborio Crusted King Trumpet mushrooms from Millennium as an appetizer, the Fiery Vegetables with Tofu from Burma Superstar as an entrée, and a vegan ice cream sandwich from Cream for dessert.
First-stop for a visiting vegan friend
Every vegan wants to hit up Hella Vegan Eats, which features an ever-changing menu. The eatery was recently serving a Chicken Parm Burger, which looked utterly mouthwatering.
Top three vegan desserts
1. Donut Farm: I absolutely love the salted caramel doughnut from Donut Farm.
2. Millennium: I’ll take any of the assorted confections from Millennium, especially the truffled white chocolate-hazelnut and pecan mousse truffles.
3. Ben & Jerry’s: There’s nothing wrong with a bowl of vegan PB and Cookies ice cream from Ben & Jerry’s, which, by the way, is not very far away from Souley Vegan.
Favorite non-food activity
I love watching movies at the historic Grand Lake Theater near Lake Merritt, which opened in 1926. Be sure to catch a matinée to save on dough.
Vegan king and/or queen of Oakland
I admire vegan chef Bryant Terry, who resides with his family in Oakland. His soul food-inspired vegan cookbooks are awesome, but he’s also an amazing food-justice activist. He currently is the Chef-in-Residence at the Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD) in San Francisco, bringing together food, farming, health, activism, art, culture, and the African Diaspora. He’s truly an inspiration.
One amazing vegan thing in Oakland every city should have
I know many cities have a vegetarian festival, but the Oakland VegFest is one of the best! Admission is free, there’s tons of free food, and the speakers are great.
Lyndsay Orwig is a full-time accountant and part-time vegan recipe tester living in Oakland, CA.
7 Vegan Sins to Commit in Amsterdam
Let VegNews Travel Editor Aurelia dAndrea be your guide to Amsterdams naughtier plant-based community.
Read More »
7 Vegan-Friendly Yoga Retreats Around the Globe
Reconnect with yourself (and your commitment to do no harm to others) at yoga retreats offering asanas, meditation, and delicious vegan food.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Dallas
Thanks to an array of plant-based options, the Big D might want to consider changing its name to the Big V.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Detroit
Motown is rocking once again thanks to a plethora of plant-based food.
Read More »
A Vegan Wine Escape to Monterey County
A short drive from San Francisco, Monterey County is quickly becoming a vegan haven for wine lovers and nature enthusiasts alike.
Read More »
- Mauis Most Vegan-Friendly Hotels
- Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Las Vegas
- 5 Unlikely Countries Where Veganism is About to Blow Up
- Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Philadelphia
- Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: New York City
- Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Portland
- Top 10 Vegan Cities in America: Chicago
- 5 Incredible Rookie Vegan US Cities
- 5 Ways to Pack Your Bag Like a (Vegan) Pro
- 5 Vegan Destinations for a Romantic Springtime Getaway
- Top 10 Vegan Cities in America
- 4 Vegan-Friendly Eateries in Fox Cities
- How to Have the Best Day Ever at Your Local Veg Fest
- 4 Takeaways from the Vegan Street Fair
- A Vegan Guide to Des Moines
- A Vegan Guide to Downtown San Jose
- 5 Vegan-Friendly Places to Move if Youre Thinking the US Isnt for You
- A Guinness-Soaked Vegan Road Trip through Ireland
- Great Big Vegan Tour of the Twin Cities
- A Vegan Restaurant Guide to Malaysia