Fraud Uncovered in Target's Removal of Hampton Creek
Investigators reveal unsigned letters sent to retailers, including Target, from an anonymous source that intended to disrupt Hampton Creek's business.
Food technology company Hampton Creek—known for its eggless vegan condiment Just Mayo—recently hired an investigative team to uncover the circumstances surrounding its products being inexplicably pulled from shelves at major retailer Target as well as other efforts to disrupt its business. The incident transpired on June 22, when Target began to remove Hampton Creek products from its shelves based on unsubstantiated allegations regarding product safety—namely allegations that some products were mislabeled, contained undeclared ingredients, and posed salmonella and listeria threats—made by media outlet Bloomberg.
The investigative team has since found several fraudulent, unsigned letters sent to retailers—of which, only Target took action, removing the company's products without an official recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The return address on the envelope of one letter sent to retailer(s) and turned over to investigators fraudulently purported to be from [Hampton Creek’s] CEO Josh Tetrick,” an unnamed party close to the investigation tells VegNews. “The letter itself was unsigned, addressed to retail partner executives, and cc’s Bloomberg.”
Andrew Noyes, spokesperson for Hampton Creek, tells VegNews that the FDA has since cleared the company of all purported safety claims. “We’ve remained confident that our products were safe and properly labeled, and that when presented with the facts, the FDA would agree,” Noyes says. “They informed us, after reviewing applicable evidence, that the matter is closed. We’ve reached out to Target to determine the steps needed to get back on shelves and restore our partnership. We're thankful to the millions of consumers and growing number of partners who continue to support our mission to build a food system where everyone is eating well.”
In 2015, the company was involved in a similar scandal, where 600 emails uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act request revealed a conspiracy between Unilever and the American Egg Board (AEB). Amongst many shocking developments, the documents revealed that a contractor for AEB, Anthony Zoletzzi, was paid an undisclosed sum to remove Hampton Creek’s eggless products from the shelves at Whole Foods Market. Just Mayo became popular after the 2015 outbreak of bird influenza—which, according to a new report, cost one egg industry company, Cal-Maine Foods, $74 million in profits due to vegan alternatives.
IKEA to Debut Vegan Hot Dog at Boston Music Festival
The furniture superstore's newest plant-based food option will make its first appearance at music festival Boston Calling this weekend before expanding to IKEA locations nationwide this fall.
Read More »
Paul McCartney: "Meat-Free Is the New Rock and Roll"
McCartney reminisces about a time when meatless entreés meant a plate of steamed vegetables and believes that in 25 years, vegetarian diets will be the norm.
Read More »
Impossible Burger is Now Certified Kosher
The Orthodox Union deemed the plant-based patty kosher, broadening Impossible Burger's customer base to include those with religious dietary restrictions.
Read More »
Residents to Sue Iowa Over Hog Factory Farm Emissions
Factory farms in the largest hog-producing state in the United States are under fire for spewing toxic, ammonia-filled air into local communities.
Read More »
Oat-Based Milk Brand Launches Vegan Ice Cream Line
Swedish vegan milk brand Oatly debuts five flavors of oat-based ice cream.
Read More »
- Vegan-Friendly Pizza Slice Shop to Open in NYC
- Beyond Meat to Debut Beyond Breakfast Sausages
- World's First Vegan Chicken Shop Opens Convenience Store
- Vegan Coffee Shop Thrives in "Steak Country"
- Vegan French Macaron Shop Opens in New Orleans
- Kroger Launches Vegan Recipe Contest
- Vegan Shoe Brand MINK Sells 10,000 Pairs in 2018
- Global Pizza Chain Adds Vegan Cheese to US Locations
- DIY Asian Bowl Chain Adds Vegan Meat to Menu
- Kat Von D Plans to Throw a Big Fat Vegan Wedding
- Philly's First Vegan Deli to Open in Historic Food Hall
- Veganism Fueling Global Demand for Coconut Milk
- Animal Sanctuary in Mississippi Gets a Facelift
- Utah Mayor Goes Vegan to Set Example for Citizens
- UK Makeup Guru Says Vegan is "The Right Thing to Do"
- Karlie Kloss Touts Beyond Burger as the Future of Meat
- NY Fireman Credits Veganism for Helping Him Save Lives
- Researchers Uncover Plant-Based B12 Breakthrough
- Sacramento to Host Month-Long Vegan Burger Battle
- The Walking Dead Star Austin Amelio Goes Vegan