5 Hot Vegan Shoes for Spring
With spring comes sunshine, rain, and all of the new shoe styles that designers have to offer.
There are a few things we can count on with the change in seasons each year, and a slew of fresh footwear is one of them. There was a time when being vegan meant limited shoe options or shopping for cheap synthetic footwear at large chain stores, but today there are many high-quality companies offering a range of fashion-forward styles that just so happen to be cruelty-free. Here’s a rundown of this season’s hottest footwear trends and how to recreate them without the cruelty.
1. Boots with heels
Though we might associate boots with fall and winter, designers such as Alexander McQueen, Celine, and Balenciaga are embracing boots this spring. Canada-based vegan company Matt & Nat has long been associated with gorgeous high quality handbags, but the brand also offers a large line of cruelty-free shoes. Their Venture collection includes styles such as the heeled “Knight” bootie in a warm beige that could have easily been plucked from this season’s runways. If you’re looking for something a little edgier, vegan Dr. Martens boots are always in style and perfect for a ‘90s retro or punk look. They can also be paired with a flowing dress in a surprising combination that intertwines femininity and street savvy.
2. Translucent heels
With some of the most stunning vegan shoe offerings available, Cri de Coeur’s collaborative line with Arden Wohl, called Arden Wohl X CDC, features a number of translucent heeled styles that capture the same look as this season’s runway offerings but are completely vegan. The Spartali Bootie has a stripe of fluorescent green across the sole that contrasts beautifully with a black open-toed shoe. A few Arden Wohl X CDC shoes also incorporate colorful florals, paying tribute to spring flowers.
3. Platforms with dynamic color
Fashion authority Harper’s Bazaar featured platforms as one of the season’s hottest trends, highlighting open-toed shoes with high platforms and contrasting color blocks. We found the same look made vegan by Melissa, producers of fun and fashionable plastic shoes. Furthermore, the Dani from designer Good Guys—available in a stunning bright red from vegan store MooShoes—has the dramatic look of a tall platform wedge featuring strong color, open toes, and a strappy heel, making this versatile shoe perfect for a cocktail party or a hot date.
4. Strappy clogs
Maison Margiela presents youthful whimsy this season with looks including a pair of brown clogs that feature a strap around the ankle and a low heel. Similarly, MooShoes’ house brand Novacas offers a sweet brown clog with an ankle strap and low wooden heel, delivering all of the charm of this look, without the cruelty of leather. Pair these with a swingy short skirt or denim shorts, depending on how casual you want to play it.
5. Spring styles for men
Though fashion designers often focus on women, many men like to upgrade their footwear for spring. Ethical vegan fashion authority Joshua Katcher’s Brave GentleMan line of footwear includes the Innovator, available in Camel or Black Pebble, which makes for the perfect finishing touch for a warm-weather linen suit. Since boots are in style this spring, push your look to an edgier place with the Wayward Boot, which features straps and buckles. Finally, Keep shoes are comfortable, casual, and are ideal for a spring stroll in the park. Their style The Ramos Deakin is a collaboration with the band Animal Collective’s co-founder and comes with a bonus cassingle and lyric sheet. If your style is more low-key, you might want the sleeker look of The Finn, a slip-on available for $60.
Maya Gottfried is the author of Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary and the forthcoming Vegan Love: Dating and Partnering for the Cruelty-Free Gal.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books