Fraud Uncovered in Target's Removal of Hampton Creek
Investigators reveal unsigned letters sent to retailers, including Target, from an anonymous source that intended to disrupt Hampton Creek's business.
Food technology company Hampton Creek—known for its eggless vegan condiment Just Mayo—recently hired an investigative team to uncover the circumstances surrounding its products being inexplicably pulled from shelves at major retailer Target as well as other efforts to disrupt its business. The incident transpired on June 22, when Target began to remove Hampton Creek products from its shelves based on unsubstantiated allegations regarding product safety—namely allegations that some products were mislabeled, contained undeclared ingredients, and posed salmonella and listeria threats—made by media outlet Bloomberg.
The investigative team has since found several fraudulent, unsigned letters sent to retailers—of which, only Target took action, removing the company's products without an official recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The return address on the envelope of one letter sent to retailer(s) and turned over to investigators fraudulently purported to be from [Hampton Creek’s] CEO Josh Tetrick,” an unnamed party close to the investigation tells VegNews. “The letter itself was unsigned, addressed to retail partner executives, and cc’s Bloomberg.”
Andrew Noyes, spokesperson for Hampton Creek, tells VegNews that the FDA has since cleared the company of all purported safety claims. “We’ve remained confident that our products were safe and properly labeled, and that when presented with the facts, the FDA would agree,” Noyes says. “They informed us, after reviewing applicable evidence, that the matter is closed. We’ve reached out to Target to determine the steps needed to get back on shelves and restore our partnership. We're thankful to the millions of consumers and growing number of partners who continue to support our mission to build a food system where everyone is eating well.”
In 2015, the company was involved in a similar scandal, where 600 emails uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act request revealed a conspiracy between Unilever and the American Egg Board (AEB). Amongst many shocking developments, the documents revealed that a contractor for AEB, Anthony Zoletzzi, was paid an undisclosed sum to remove Hampton Creek’s eggless products from the shelves at Whole Foods Market. Just Mayo became popular after the 2015 outbreak of bird influenza—which, according to a new report, cost one egg industry company, Cal-Maine Foods, $74 million in profits due to vegan alternatives.
Target Severs Ties with Hampton Creek
Just Mayo and other vegan products will not be returning to Target despite FDA clearance.
Read More »
Natalie Portman to Receive Vegan Activism Award
The Environmental Media Academy will honor the actress for her promotion of a plant-based diet.
Read More »
Trump Dumps Climate Change Advisory Board
The administration let the Advisory Committee for the Sustained National Climate Assessment dissolve as part of its ongoing effort to distance the United States from the world's environmental crisis.
Read More »
UC Berkeley Opens New Plant-Based Meat Lab
The university aims to be at the forefront of discovering plant-based alternatives to eradicate the meat industry.
Read More »
Al Gore's New "Resign Trump" Video Promotes Veganism
A new viral video interview with the eco-warrior politician promotes consuming a plant-based diet to fight climate change.
Read More »
- Upscale Toronto Eatery Opens Spinoff Vegan Burger Spot
- New Vegan Group Launches to Promote Diversity
- World's Largest Meat Company Profits Drop 80 Percent
- New Plant-Based Culinary Course Comes to Florida
- Six-Course Vegan Wine Pairing Dinner Lands in PA
- NYC Vegan Grocery Throws Ice Cream Social for Justice
- More Than One Quarter of Brits Slash Meat Intake
- Vogue Names "Vegan" Top Wedding Trend in 2017
- Vegan Company Launches "Chucky" Bath Bombs
- VegNews Stands Against Racism
- Ne-Yo Embraces New Vegan Diet
- Texas Vegan Bakery Wins $25,000 Grand Prize
- Vegan Cupcake Decorating Studio Opens in Miami
- USC Gets New "Hogwarts" Vegan Dining Station
- Jon Bon Jovi Removes Leather from His Clothing Line
- Vegan Bacon Cone Rolls into London
- Hampton Creek to License Clean Tech to Meat Companies
- German International School in India Goes Vegan
- P90X Founder Tony Horton Sticks to Vegan Diet
- Hawaiians Fight eBay Founder's Plans to Open Dairy Farm