5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mothers Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
A vegan Mother's Day is the perfect way to celebrate everything your mom has done for you. And with so many amazing cruelty-free foods, cosmetics, restaurants, and films, you can spoil your mother all of Sunday, and well into Monday! From treating her to a yummy plant-based lunch or buying her adorable vegan jewelry, here are our five favorites ways we’ll be celebrating with our moms this weekend.
1. Cook her a vegan meal
Breakfast in bed has always been the cliché of Mother’s Day, so don’t do it. Instead, cook her a vegan breakfast to enjoy in the kitchen so no one makes a mess in bed. However, why not surprise your mom with a vegan breakfast for dinner? Breakfast burritos with tofu scramble, bell peppers, onions, and roasted potatoes is a delicious way to celebrate your mom, and she’ll never expect it! Or, why not make something sweet for her such as maple-peanut butter pancakes or a vegan lemon curd for dessert?
2. Take her to a vegan restaurant
If cooking isn’t your forté, take your mom to a vegan restaurant and let her splurge. This tip might seem obvious, but sometimes obvious is best. By taking your mom out for a meal, you’re expressing your thanks for all of her hard work. Plus, everyone likes having someone else prepare their meals (and do the dishes), so going out to eat definitely earns you mega-points in the parent-offspring relationship. A few of our favorites include No Bones Beach Club, Millennium, Crossroads Kitchen, Chicago Diner, Fare Well, Modern Love Brooklyn, and Vedge.
3. Give her a personalized gift
With the hassle of making food (or going to a restaurant) out of the way, it’s time for gifts. There’s nothing wrong with giving flowers and vegan chocolates, but if these are too generic for you, try Etsy.com, where you’ll find a plethora of unique vegan gifts. One shop called Crobinson Design sells vegan jewelry such as heart-shaped necklaces that say “Vegan Mom” on them, but designer/owner Christy Robinson can do custom orders if you want your jewelry to say something else. There are many other vegan options (ranging from t-shirts to vegan soap) on Etsy if you want to get your mom something other than jewelry.
4. Watch a movie
Who doesn’t love staying in and binge watching TV shows and movies, especially with your best friend? No one, so pick up some of your mom's favorite movies and maybe some movies with some vegan actors such as Joaquin Phoenix or Rooney Mara. You can always watch documentaries such as Cowspiracy, What The Health, and Vegucated to educate each other more on the vegan lifestyle. Seeing as how no movie night is complete without a slice or three, make your mom some vegan pizza with pineapple, mushrooms, and/or peppers. Once the pizza is gone, bust out a carton of NadaMoo’s Rocky Road, Birthday Cake, Snickerdoodle, or chocolate peanut butter flavors. Now that’s a happy Mother’s Day!
5. Vegan spa day
A vegan spa day is not only a wonderful idea for your mom but for yourself as well, so treat her like a queen with a fun outing that includes getting a mani-pedi, a massage, and a haircut. However, finding vegan spas/salons can be difficult, so call your local spas/salons to see if they carry any cruelty-free, vegan friendly lines, such as Aveda. Another option is to treat her in the comfort of her (or your) home. Hire a massage therapist to come to your house, and you can supply the cruelty-free massage oils. A DIY home spa—think facial masks and manicures—is another fun way to spend time together while pampering Mom. For inspiration, check out YouTube star Rawvana’s easy-to-make skincare recipes.
Rebecca Sykes is a writer and passionate vegan who is hoping to open her own animal sanctuary one day.
Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
EatSoulGoods organic food is converting people to veganism by showing customers that cruelty-free doesnt have to taste like cardboard.
Read More »
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It