5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mothers Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
A vegan Mother's Day is the perfect way to celebrate everything your mom has done for you. And with so many amazing cruelty-free foods, cosmetics, restaurants, and films, you can spoil your mother all of Sunday, and well into Monday! From treating her to a yummy plant-based lunch or buying her adorable vegan jewelry, here are our five favorites ways we’ll be celebrating with our moms this weekend.
1. Cook her a vegan meal
Breakfast in bed has always been the cliché of Mother’s Day, so don’t do it. Instead, cook her a vegan breakfast to enjoy in the kitchen so no one makes a mess in bed. However, why not surprise your mom with a vegan breakfast for dinner? Breakfast burritos with tofu scramble, bell peppers, onions, and roasted potatoes is a delicious way to celebrate your mom, and she’ll never expect it! Or, why not make something sweet for her such as maple-peanut butter pancakes or a vegan lemon curd for dessert?
2. Take her to a vegan restaurant
If cooking isn’t your forté, take your mom to a vegan restaurant and let her splurge. This tip might seem obvious, but sometimes obvious is best. By taking your mom out for a meal, you’re expressing your thanks for all of her hard work. Plus, everyone likes having someone else prepare their meals (and do the dishes), so going out to eat definitely earns you mega-points in the parent-offspring relationship. A few of our favorites include No Bones Beach Club, Millennium, Crossroads Kitchen, Chicago Diner, Fare Well, Modern Love Brooklyn, and Vedge.
3. Give her a personalized gift
With the hassle of making food (or going to a restaurant) out of the way, it’s time for gifts. There’s nothing wrong with giving flowers and vegan chocolates, but if these are too generic for you, try Etsy.com, where you’ll find a plethora of unique vegan gifts. One shop called Crobinson Design sells vegan jewelry such as heart-shaped necklaces that say “Vegan Mom” on them, but designer/owner Christy Robinson can do custom orders if you want your jewelry to say something else. There are many other vegan options (ranging from t-shirts to vegan soap) on Etsy if you want to get your mom something other than jewelry.
4. Watch a movie
Who doesn’t love staying in and binge watching TV shows and movies, especially with your best friend? No one, so pick up some of your mom's favorite movies and maybe some movies with some vegan actors such as Joaquin Phoenix or Rooney Mara. You can always watch documentaries such as Cowspiracy, What The Health, and Vegucated to educate each other more on the vegan lifestyle. Seeing as how no movie night is complete without a slice or three, make your mom some vegan pizza with pineapple, mushrooms, and/or peppers. Once the pizza is gone, bust out a carton of NadaMoo’s Rocky Road, Birthday Cake, Snickerdoodle, or chocolate peanut butter flavors. Now that’s a happy Mother’s Day!
5. Vegan spa day
A vegan spa day is not only a wonderful idea for your mom but for yourself as well, so treat her like a queen with a fun outing that includes getting a mani-pedi, a massage, and a haircut. However, finding vegan spas/salons can be difficult, so call your local spas/salons to see if they carry any cruelty-free, vegan friendly lines, such as Aveda. Another option is to treat her in the comfort of her (or your) home. Hire a massage therapist to come to your house, and you can supply the cruelty-free massage oils. A DIY home spa—think facial masks and manicures—is another fun way to spend time together while pampering Mom. For inspiration, check out YouTube star Rawvana’s easy-to-make skincare recipes.
Rebecca Sykes is a writer and passionate vegan who is hoping to open her own animal sanctuary one day.
Top 10 Instagram Posts of 2017
From innovative new products to mouthwatering meals, countless great moments were captured on Instagram in 2017. Here are your favorites.
Read More »
4 Vegan Cookbooks For Your Holiday Gift List, Plus What to Pre-Order for 2018
Give the most delicious gift of all with one of these outstanding vegan cookbooks.
Read More »
5 Fun Holiday Movies that Vegans Can Enjoy
Enjoy the spirit of the season while learning a message about compassion with these five flicks.
Read More »
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
- VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
- 18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
- Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For