6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
There was a time when most red makeup was derived from animal unfriendly carmine (made of crushed insects), but now there are plenty of compassionate options available. This is great news for vegans who want to wear some pizzazz on February 14, as Valentine’s Day presents the perfect opportunity to try some of the fun and fabulous cruelty-free red lipsticks on the market. Whether you’re a red lipstick devotee or are a bit red-curious, red lipstick makes a bold statement and demands attention, which is why we’re highlighting six brands that’ll help you paint your lips with this flashy, flirty, fun color.
1. Au Naturale
Au Naturale produces makeup for lips (and other parts of your face) that are vegan, organic, and paraben-free. The Eternity Lipstick is creamy and luscious and offers two red shades: a sexy and sophisticated version called Cha-Cha and the slightly metallic and shimmery Ruby. For a rich, deep, dark earthy red, try the Matte Lip Stain in Going Rouge, while the High Lustre Lip Gloss in sexy Samba is sure to impress your Valentine.
If you’re looking for a quick fix and are stocking up on your reds at the local drugstore, E.L.F. presents the perfect option, as the brand is available at many chain stores including CVS, Target, and Walmart, as well as online. E.L.F.’s vegan Essential Lip Stain—which has a Magic Marker-style brush—goes on easy and stays on for those long Valentine’s Day dates that you wish would never end. Crimson Crush is the perfect deep-red shade for a bit of drama painted on your lips. Other hot vegan options from E.L.F. include the strong-toned Liquid Matte Lipstick in Red Vixen and satiny classic Moisturizing Lipstick in Red Carpet. If you opt to go a little lighter, E.L.F.’s Highshine Liquid Lip Gloss in Red Apple is perfect for some polish without the weight of a heavier lipstick.
3. Kat Von D
Makeup maven and animal activist Kat Von D is in the process of veganizing her entire makeup line, which includes shades named after animals rescued by Farm Sanctuary (with a portion of proceeds donated to the organization). Easily available at Sephora stores, JC Penney, and online, the brand offers a number of luscious vegan red options. For an intense, bright, attention-grabber that goes on easily and stays on, try the Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw. Other gorgeous red shades include the strong Santa Sangre and the deep, dark Nahz Fur Atoo. If you’re more of a cream lipstick gal, try the Studded Kiss Crème Lipstick in Hexagram, a satin-matte blood red.
Though not fully vegan, Tarte has a long history of offering vegan lipstick options. The Tarteist™ creamy matte lip paint in Bae bathes lips in an intense, inviting, rich red that is perfect for Valentine’s Day dates. For something a little less dramatic, try the Quench Lip Rescue in Cherry, which offers a sheer hint of red. For a gorgeous rich color, try Tarte’s Lip Sculptor Lipstick & Lipgloss in Harlequin, a deeper shade of red. As the name suggests, this double-ended lip painting tool includes both a long-wearing lipstick and coordinated gloss. You’ll have full color coverage and the fun of a shiny gloss on top.
Hourglass is another vegan-friendly brand with some delightful animal-free red lip options. Known for its luscious and high-quality products, Hourglass offers a gorgeous, classic creamy lipstick with the Confession Ultra Slim High Intensity Refillable Lipstick in I Crave. For a lip color that’s a little lighter in weight but offers strong color, try Opaque Rouge in the bright Raven shade. Or, you might want to opt for it in the intense blue-toned Icon shade.
If you’re still missing that perfect Valentine’s Day red lipstick to finalize your face and are operating on a tight budget, head to Target.com to pick up Pacifica Devocean Lipstick in bright red Firebird. This moisturizing, glossy, strong-colored lipstick comes at an affordable $9.99. However, for the ultimate Valentine’s Day lipstick at under $10, try Pacifica’s appropriately named Power of Love lipstick, available in three shades of red: the rich and deep Nudie Red, the fun and bright Compassion Passion, and the pinkier Super Love.
Maya Gottfried is the author of Vegan Love: Dating and Partnering for the Cruelty-Free Gal and Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books