7 Vegan Ways to Eat Your Beer on National American Beer Day
Whats even better than cracking open a cold one? Cracking open a cold one, and cooking with it!
If you’re thinking that we’re going to have a beverage today in honor of National American Beer Day, you’d be correct. But what you might not know is that we’re stepping up our oat-soda game by featuring seven plant-based dishes that are made with this frosty drink. Beer has made its way into the food-trend scene, which means everyone can enjoy a frosty libation. From moist stout cupcakes and beer-battered tofu tacos to chocolate stout brownies and beer macaroni and cheese, we’ve compiled a list of the tastiest beer-infused vegan dishes to whet your appetite. So, raise your glass, but don’t take a sip. Instead, enjoy beer cooked into your food. Cheers!
1. Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Ganache + Irish Cream Frosting
Although the alcohol cooks out, these Oh, Ladycakes creations are truly addicting. The chocolate cake is moist and rich, but it’s the inclusion of the Irish whiskey ganache that’ll have you going back for seconds. In fact, these cupcakes are so good that the blogger used the recipe for her multi-tiered wedding cake. And if something is good enough for a bride, it’s certainly good enough for the rest of us.
2.Thai BBQ Beer Can Cabbage with Daikon Slaw
If you’re the kind of person who likes to experiment with your food, try these inventive sliders from cookbook author (and VegNews contributor) Jackie Sobon. Packed with barbecued beer cabbage (which involves gutting a cabbage, adding beer into it, and slow-grilling the beer-stuffed cabbage until tender and infused with hoppy goodness), the sandwich’s Asian-inspired barbecue sauce and bright daikon slaw make for an incredible sandwich.
3. Beer & Brat Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Another delicious culinary invention from the kitchen of Jackie Sobon, this Oktoberfest-worthy macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. The cashew-based sauce is completely swoon-worthy thanks to its luxuriously creamy texture and added oomph from the Golden Ale beer. We’d smother almost anything with it, but Sobon pairs it with perfectly cooked pasta and hearty chunks of vegan seitan bratwurst.
4. Vegan Beer Chili
Is it okay to drink alone if you pour the beer into a pot of chili? We say yes, which is why Minimalist Baker’s one-bowl wonder is our staple for cold autumn nights spent curled up on the couch. Although the recipe serves eight, we find it’s best suited for the single lifestyle. Simple ingredients? Check. Easy prep? Yep (less than an hour). Freezer-friendly? You bet! Plus, the beer gives it a robust flavor, and the beans give this soup substance. Serve it in a pint glass for a festive touch and enjoy your party of one.
5. Vegan Beer & Cheddar Bread Bowl Dip
Beer and cheese is the harmonious adult equivalent to peanut butter and jelly, which might explain why Hot for Food created the ultimate gooey, cheesy, plant-based dip to serve at your National American Beer Day party. The dip relies on potatoes and cashews for its classically thick consistency, while the beer, spices, and pickled jalapeños enhance its bold, complex flavor. The dip is poured into a bread bowl and topped with vegan cheddar, green onion, and coconut bacon, so don’t be surprised if your guests forgo the accoutrements and start ripping this bowl apart.
6. Crispy Beer-Battered Tofu Tacos
Those who say they don’t like tofu obviously have never had Kathy Patalsky’s beer-battered creation. The blogger transforms these bland bricks of soy into craveable, beer-soaked bites that are simple yet satisfying when paired with pickled onions, cabbage, avocado, vegan chipotle mayonnaise, and hot sauce. The tofu is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and tastes delicious inside a warm tortilla. We’re making extra to add to our salads, sandwiches, and Buddha bowls.
7. Chocolate Stout Brownies
Stout is an acquired taste, but everyone can learn to love its chocolate accents, thanks to these decadent vegan brownies. Concocted by healthy vegan dessert blog Chocolate Covered Katie, these guiltless brownies are fudgy, stuffed with chocolate-chips, and are a surefire crowd pleaser on gameday. Note: Katie highly recommends you let these sit overnight in the refrigerator before serving, so plan ahead and make these the night before National American Beer Day. We won’t judge if you celebrate a day early by eating the batter.
Photo courtesy of Jackie Sobon
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching, and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2017? Here are your top 10 favorite reads of the year.
Read More »
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me