6 Vegan-Friendly Cat Cafés Where You Can Celebrate National Cat Day
Cats, coffee, and cruelty-free food? We must be dreaming.
Although there seems to be one in every city, cat cafés in the United States is a relatively new concept. Unlike going to an animal shelter to adopt a feline, these businesses allow potential adopters to interact with several cats in a designated room attached to the café. Typically, the cafés charge an hourly fee to play with the cats, which goes towards the felines’ care. Not only is this experience fun for the customer but it’s also important for the cats because it gets them accustomed to human interaction, which, in turn, helps them feel safe and secure in their forever homes. With so many cat cafés opening around the country, and because it’s National Cat Day, we’re highlighting six vegan-friendly cat cafés where visitors can enjoy a dairy-free treat while seeing some adorable felines. Keep in mind that many of these places require—or at least strongly recommend—making a reservation, so be sure to plan ahead if you want to play with the kitties. Maybe you’ll leave with a new best friend!
1. Kawaii Kitty Cafe
Kawaii means “cute” in Japanese, and this Philadelphia cat café shows its kawaii aesthetic through not only its drinks but also the pink, lilac, and Hello Kitty-themed art that adorns the walls. Hang out with adorable adoptable cats while sipping on a vegan Unicorn Cocoa with pink whipped cream, grab a vegan Kawaii Kitty Cafe Milkshake with a colorful chocolate sprinkle rim, or enjoy a vegan purple bubble tea. Chow down on one of the numerous bagel options, including vegan cream cheese and vegan whitefish from Miss Rachel’s Pantry, or share a vegan Kawaii Sundae topped with cotton candy and marshmallows.
2. Morgan’s Cat Café
Located in Red Hook, NY, Morgan’s is an all-vegan cat café, so no need to second-guess what you’re ordering. The eatery’s Asian-inspired menu includes items such as Asian Guacamole, Cold Noodle Salad, and an Asian Slaw Burger. And, for dessert, satisfy your sweet tooth with a Coconut Layer Cake or the Cat-shaped Cookie. Morgan’s also offers fun events such as cat rescue training and cat lovers’ singles nights. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find the vegan cat lover of your dreams.
3. Blue Cat Café
Austin, Texas is home to vegan cat café Blue Cat Café, where visitors can hang with cool cats and get some punny food (such as the BBQ Briscat Sandwich or the Alley Cat Tacos). Wash down that plant-based grub with drinks like the Cinnful Kitty, the Caramel Meowcchiato, or the seasonal Pumpkitten Spice Latte. If you like yoga, be sure to check out the Kitty Yoga class on Sundays, but be prepared to share your mat with some adorable kitties.
4. Eat Purr Love Cat Café
Although this Columbus, OH café allows guests to bring their own food and beverages, there’s no need to because all of its yummy treats are cruelty-free! Supplied by local bakery Pattycake Bakery, food and drink options include lattes, hot chocolate, cupcakes, brownies, and whoopie pies. When you’re done eating, be sure to check out Purrs & Palettes, a two-hour painting class held every third Thursday of the month.
5. Cat Therapy
This Santa Barbara, CA cat café allows guests to nourish their bodies and souls while enjoying cat cuddles with a nutritious smoothie, a refreshing Brazilian juice, or a wholesome açaí bowl. Continuing with the healthy theme, Cat Therapy also offers feline yoga every Wednesday and Sunday. Try not to get jealous when a kitty shows you up in cat pose: remember—they’ve had more practice.
6. Cat Town
Oakland’s Cat Town has been open since 2011 and bears the distinction of being the first cat café in the United States. While there, purchase a pour-over coffee from the “wet food” menu and a bagel with vegan cream cheese from the “dry food” menu to bring with you into the Cat Zone, where you’ll meet upwards of 20 felines. Cat Town also sells plant-based treats such as homemade Pop-Tarts and vegan brownies. Even better: if you’re interesting in fostering a cat, the café also runs a fostering program.
Perri Lerner is a freelance writer eating her way around Portland, OR.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer