8 Vegan Treats for Your Companion Animals (and Maybe You)
While youre still eating vegan Halloween candy, its important to make sure that your furry friend has something to munch on, too.
If you’re the type of person who loves spoiling your cats and/or dogs, surely you’ve discovered that a large number of edible animal treats aren’t vegan. This is a bummer for many reasons, but, fortunately, there are a few new brands on the market that make all-natural, plant-based treats for your vegan cat or dog. Similar to humans, animals have taste buds that react to sweet and tart flavors (as well as savory and salty ones). Therefore, the “inherent” craving or positive reaction to an animal-based treat is not always prefered to a plant-based food. In fact, cats and dogs enjoy the taste of fruits such as cranberries and apples and fats like peanuts and coconuts just as much as people. With this in mind, we’re highlighting eight vegan products your companion animals will love. Even better? All of these treats are fit for human consumption and include healthy ingredients such as coconut oil, peanut butter, and sweet potato.
1. Cat Chums
Vegan cat treats are hard to find in today’s pet food market, as many are made with animal byproducts that use grease, blood, feathers, and offal from a variety of sources (including animals euthanized at animal shelters). Luckily, Cat Chums is a plant-based cat treat brand offering four flavors (cheddar cheese, rye, Catnip Cookies, and Low Fat Kitty Treats). Sadly, giving Cat Chums to your feline friend still doesn’t guarantee he or she won’t jump on your sheets after you take them out of the dryer.
2. Shaded Trails All Natural, Vegan Crunchy Dog treats
If you have a dog, you know there’s nothing they like more than a spoonful of peanut butter for dessert, which is why we love giving Shaded Trails dog treats to our canine companions. These human-grade cookies are also grain-free and contain no wheat, corn, fillers, soy, preservatives, or artificial flavors.
3. Vecado Cranberry Chewy Treats
These chewy cranberry treats from Vecado contain only three ingredients: cranberries, yeast, and maltose, and are suitable for both cats and dogs. Cranberries help your pet’s health by preventing bacteria from adhering to the walls of the urinary tract and causing infections, similar to what they do for the human body. In other words, don’t worry if your little monster has one too many.
4. Sam’s Yam’s Daily’s Carrot Cookies
Your dog will love these apple-and-carrot cookies from Sam’s Yams. With sweet potato and applesauce mixed for added sweetness, these treats also have a nice crunch to them for texture and are made from 100-percent farm-grown ingredients and are free or grain, glycerin, and gluten.
5. V-Dog Peanut Butter Wiggle Biscuits
V-Dog’s peanut butter-flavored biscuits are the top-rated organic dog treat in the United States and are made with only USDA Organic and non-gmo ingredients. They’re more than just tasty, too, as Wiggle Biscuits are packed with nutritious ingredients such as flaxseed, cinnamon, banana, and coconut oil. One of these is enough to make your canine happy, but give him or her two.
6. Vecado Sweet Potato Treats
Dogs love the taste of dried sweet potato, and that’s exactly what Vecado sweet potato treats are. Sweet potato also delivers essential nutrients such as vitamins A and C throughout our bodies. This single-ingredient treat has no additives or preservatives and comes with a crunchy texture. Give your pal one of these, and watch as he or she chews for a while.
7. Benevo Pawtato Sticks
If you’re looking for an extra-special treat to feed your pup, Benevo Pawtato Sticks are a delicious low-fat option. The combination of sweet potato and rice is a great source of fiber for healthy digestion, and the fact that these treats are gluten-free makes us want to chase our tails in excitement.
8. Soopa Papaya Dog Chews
Not only is Soopa Pets’ dried papaya juicy, delicious and tropical tasting but it contains an enzyme known for aiding in digestion of proteins, which your dog eats a lot of. If your pet has bad breath, the root of the problem might be stomach issues, which papaya soothes when it’s upset. What’s better than treats that make you feel good, too?
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
Wear cool clothing, give amazing gifts, and watch Okja, and you can be my Valentine.
Read More »
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert
- 34 Reasons Why Vegans Are in the Cool Kids Club