2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
True foodies know that its only a matter of time for vegan wine and cheese to be recognized in the culinary world as the new standard.
From creamy almond brie to sharp cashew cheddar, vegan cheese has expanded in beautiful ways to position 2018 as the most tasteful year of vegan food ever. In addition, winemakers are also realizing the benefits of plant-based vinos and are creating amazing vegan wines that are better than the traditional bottles. These delicious advancements in culinary creations are why we’re calling 2018 the year when vegan wine and cheese pairings take over the world. To help get your year started as deliciously as possible, here are six combinations that’ll have you satiated and satisfied until next New Year’s Eve.
1. Vtopian Caramelized Onion and Pizzolato Cabernet
The notes of tanginess and creaminess of Vtopian’s cashew-based cheese base and date-like sweetness of the carmelized onion (along with the right amount of salt) make this cheese perfect to pair with the Pizzolato cabernet. Due to its boldness and sweet aftertaste, the strong cabernet fills your mouth with flavor and tames the cheese’s sweetness. For an ideal pairing, include purple grapes and sliced toasted baguette on your cheese platter.
2. Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese Style Spread with En Mémoire du Malbec
Kite Hill’s chive cream cheese smears lightly and smoothly across a dry cracker or toasted baguette, while the delicately bold flavor matches well with the Malbec, which complements the cream cheese due to its blackberry-esque taste. The wine complements this cheese very much like jam does with cream cheese, making it a great combination when served with toasted bagel crackers, blackberries, jam, sourdough bread, oat crackers, carrot lox, pickles, or sweet potato crackers.
3. Miyoko’s Kitchen Aged English Smoked Farmhouse with Frey Vineyards Pinot Noir
If you love sharp cheese, you will love Miyoko’s smoked farmhouse. With a smoky, woody flavor and an acidic kick that fills your tastebuds, this cheese is tempered perfectly by the pinot noir. The smoked farmhouse is a great cheese for those who love strong cheddars, while combining the flavors releases a satisfaction for those who love sharp and blended tastes thanks to the wine’s plum notes. For the ultimate cheese platter, include apples and toasted almonds on seeded crackers.
4. Peace Cheese Jalapeño Love and La Crema Chardonnay
Peace Cheese’s Jalapeño Love is spicy and buttery, but also has a little tang to it that makes this treat truly unique. Use it as a spread-like pub cheese or heat it by baking it on a French boule slice for a gooey effect. The spice puckers your lips, which is ideal for La Crema Chardonnay to temper the cheese’s buttery taste. This pairing becomes a smooth delicacy that allows the spice to settle nicely and is best served with corn chips, chocolate, French boule, seeded baguette, and dried cherries. This cheese would go well with a good beer as well.
5. Vromage Brie-Truffle and Red Truck Rosé
Vromage’s Brie-Truffle is light and decadent and comes with a hint of truffle that pairs well with the rosé’s creamy, strawberry notes. This combination tastes divine when served on a cheese platter with cranberry or raisin crackers, figs, and sunflower seed bread.
6. The Herbivorous Butcher Smoked Gouda and Les Hauts de Lagarde Bordeaux Red
This smoked Gouda’s spice is well paired with the Bordeaux, which is fruity with a little spice at the end. With its smoky hint and smooth taste, the cheese is impactful on the taste buds, while the Bordeaux pairing gives you a full-bodied experience. Ciabatta, green grapes, and cherries would make this a delicious pairing.
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
Thanks to us, theres no reason your babies behinds shouldnt be as vegan as the rest of their bodies.
Read More »
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Décor
- Vegan Holiday Table-Setting is a Thing, and It is Amazing