Fraud Uncovered in Target's Removal of Hampton Creek
Investigators reveal unsigned letters sent to retailers, including Target, from an anonymous source that intended to disrupt Hampton Creek's business.
Food technology company Hampton Creek—known for its eggless vegan condiment Just Mayo—recently hired an investigative team to uncover the circumstances surrounding its products being inexplicably pulled from shelves at major retailer Target as well as other efforts to disrupt its business. The incident transpired on June 22, when Target began to remove Hampton Creek products from its shelves based on unsubstantiated allegations regarding product safety—namely allegations that some products were mislabeled, contained undeclared ingredients, and posed salmonella and listeria threats—made by media outlet Bloomberg.
The investigative team has since found several fraudulent, unsigned letters sent to retailers—of which, only Target took action, removing the company's products without an official recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The return address on the envelope of one letter sent to retailer(s) and turned over to investigators fraudulently purported to be from [Hampton Creek’s] CEO Josh Tetrick,” an unnamed party close to the investigation tells VegNews. “The letter itself was unsigned, addressed to retail partner executives, and cc’s Bloomberg.”
Andrew Noyes, spokesperson for Hampton Creek, tells VegNews that the FDA has since cleared the company of all purported safety claims. “We’ve remained confident that our products were safe and properly labeled, and that when presented with the facts, the FDA would agree,” Noyes says. “They informed us, after reviewing applicable evidence, that the matter is closed. We’ve reached out to Target to determine the steps needed to get back on shelves and restore our partnership. We're thankful to the millions of consumers and growing number of partners who continue to support our mission to build a food system where everyone is eating well.”
In 2015, the company was involved in a similar scandal, where 600 emails uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act request revealed a conspiracy between Unilever and the American Egg Board (AEB). Amongst many shocking developments, the documents revealed that a contractor for AEB, Anthony Zoletzzi, was paid an undisclosed sum to remove Hampton Creek’s eggless products from the shelves at Whole Foods Market. Just Mayo became popular after the 2015 outbreak of bird influenza—which, according to a new report, cost one egg industry company, Cal-Maine Foods, $74 million in profits due to vegan alternatives.
Costco Debuts $5 Vegan Breakfast Bowls Nationwide
The food court at the big-box retailer is about to get a lot more refreshing thanks to a plant-based berry-and-granola loaded açaí bowl, available by the end of this month at locations nationwide.
Read More »
Montreal Bans Cruel Horse-Drawn Carriages
Beginning on New Year's Eve 2019, horses will no longer be forced to pull passengers across the cobblestone streets of the Canadian city.
Read More »
New Locator Finds Vegan Food at Ballparks
New guide Veggie Happy helps sports fans locate vegan options at stadiums nationwide.
Read More »
New Vegan Butcher Shop Opens in Texas
San Antonio's Hip Peaz Vegan Eats offers a rotating menu of vegan meat sandwiches, burritos, and gumbo.
Read More »
Vegan Shoe Brand No One's Skin Debuts in London
The new footwear brand aims to eliminate the pollution caused by the animal-based leather industry with comparable, vegan alternatives.
Read More »
- Vegan Eatery Expands to Serve Historic Black Town
- Dairy Farmers Make Beer as Milk Industry Sours
- The Hamptons Gets Its First Vegan Café
- CA Senate Passes Mandatory Vegan Prison-Food Bill
- Natalie Portman Survives Fiery Vegan Wings on Hot Ones
- Prince's Estate Pledges to Remain Meat-Free
- Iceland's Vegan Bleeding Burgers Outsell Wagyu Beef
- Bangalore Elects Vegan Legislative Member
- Detroit Restaurant Debuts Eight-Course Vegan Menu
- Australia's Top Airline Promotes Vegan Bacon and Eggs
- Hospital-Scented Meat Candles Debut for Father's Day
- IKEA's Doughnuts Are Vegan
- NadaMoo! Opens Its First Vegan Scoop Shop in Austin
- Moby Sells His Entire Record Collection to Help Animals
- Vegan Chain Copper Branch Expands to 60 Locations
- Five Synagogues Will Go Vegan For One Year
- Fly-Over Protest to Ruffle Feathers at Tyson
- Comedian James Corden Ditches Meat
- California Pizza Pioneer Debuts Cheesy Vegan Pie
- PayPal CEO: "Dead-Cow Wallets" to Be Obsolete by 2028