Fraud Uncovered in Target's Removal of Hampton Creek
Investigators reveal unsigned letters sent to retailers, including Target, from an anonymous source that intended to disrupt Hampton Creek's business.
Food technology company Hampton Creek—known for its eggless vegan condiment Just Mayo—recently hired an investigative team to uncover the circumstances surrounding its products being inexplicably pulled from shelves at major retailer Target as well as other efforts to disrupt its business. The incident transpired on June 22, when Target began to remove Hampton Creek products from its shelves based on unsubstantiated allegations regarding product safety—namely allegations that some products were mislabeled, contained undeclared ingredients, and posed salmonella and listeria threats—made by media outlet Bloomberg.
The investigative team has since found several fraudulent, unsigned letters sent to retailers—of which, only Target took action, removing the company's products without an official recall issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “The return address on the envelope of one letter sent to retailer(s) and turned over to investigators fraudulently purported to be from [Hampton Creek’s] CEO Josh Tetrick,” an unnamed party close to the investigation tells VegNews. “The letter itself was unsigned, addressed to retail partner executives, and cc’s Bloomberg.”
Andrew Noyes, spokesperson for Hampton Creek, tells VegNews that the FDA has since cleared the company of all purported safety claims. “We’ve remained confident that our products were safe and properly labeled, and that when presented with the facts, the FDA would agree,” Noyes says. “They informed us, after reviewing applicable evidence, that the matter is closed. We’ve reached out to Target to determine the steps needed to get back on shelves and restore our partnership. We're thankful to the millions of consumers and growing number of partners who continue to support our mission to build a food system where everyone is eating well.”
In 2015, the company was involved in a similar scandal, where 600 emails uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act request revealed a conspiracy between Unilever and the American Egg Board (AEB). Amongst many shocking developments, the documents revealed that a contractor for AEB, Anthony Zoletzzi, was paid an undisclosed sum to remove Hampton Creek’s eggless products from the shelves at Whole Foods Market. Just Mayo became popular after the 2015 outbreak of bird influenza—which, according to a new report, cost one egg industry company, Cal-Maine Foods, $74 million in profits due to vegan alternatives.
Leonardo DiCaprio Invests in Vegan Brand Beyond Meat
The mega-celebrity puts his money where his mouth is in an effort to advance the future of plant-based meat.
Read More »
Boston Celtics' Kyrie Irving Adopts Plant-Based Diet
The professional basketball player reveals he is moving away from animal products this season to fuel his performance.
Read More »
Lack of Vegan Menus Top Complaint at UK Hotels
Independent hotel review company The Good Hotel Guide found that lack of vegan options is a top gripe among hotel guests.
Read More »
Vegan Makeup Brand for POC Raises $1 Million
Mented founders Amanda Johnson and KJ Miller became the 15th and 16th African-American women to raise that much in capital funding.
Read More »
Natalie Portman Urges Award Show Attendees to Go Vegan
The vegan actress delivered a moving award-acceptance speech urging everyone to consider a plant-based diet.
Read More »
- Vegan Chocolate Hummus Raises $600K on Shark Tank
- Cadbury Heir Launches Vegan Avocado Chocolate Bar
- Meat-Free Apartment Complex to Open in Russia
- Vegan Chickpea Snack Brand Raises $10 Million
- Popular Shoe Brand Launches New Vegan Line
- Grilled Cheese Truck Transforms into Vegan Restaurant
- New Program Rehabilitates Inmates with Vegan Diet
- Major Italian Chain Launches Expansive Vegan Menu
- Spanish Company Invents Diet Avocado
- 24-Hour Vegan Vending Machine Lands in Melbourne
- Plant-Based Foods Slated to Be Mega-Trend of 2018
- Ryan Gosling Rocks Custom Vegan Coat in Blade Runner
- Sales at Vegan Treats Spike Thanks to Jon Stewart
- Vegan Faux Fur-Lined Hemp Parkas Debut in US
- Vegan Taco Face-Off Hits Los Angeles This Weekend
- Gucci Bans Fur
- Miley Cyrus Skips Tour to Care for Pigs
- Belgian Food Pyramid Puts Vegan Foods on Top
- The Office Star Adopts Vegan Diet
- Futuristic Animal-Free Aquarium Opens in NYC