4 Vegan Cookbooks For Your Holiday Gift List, Plus What to Pre-Order for 2018
Give the most delicious gift of all with one of these outstanding vegan cookbooks.
This year, we’ve spent hours poring over tantalizing vegan cookbooks and, in turn, have been captivated by the gorgeous photography and drool-worthy recipes. Through our “research,” we found reliable new vegan cookbooks that range from elaborate coffee-table books you’ll want to display in a glass case and our new go-to references that we dog-ear with daily use. And because the holiday season has us in a giving mood, we’re highlighting not only our favorite 2017 cookbooks that we think you should gift to everyone on your lists this season but also seven cookbooks slated for a 2018 release over which we’re already salivating.
For the Matthew Kenney groupies, serious home chefs, and photography junkies, the chef’s latest work is a sensory masterpiece. We’re transfixed by the beautiful photography, which not only includes pictures of the precisely plated recipes but also scenes from the kitchen and breathtaking nature shots. Beyond the photography component, Kenney included more than 100 plant-based recipes inspired by his restaurant concepts (hello, Truffle Pizza from Double Zero!) around the world. Kenney is known for his innovation and creative use of culinary techniques, so the recipes are a bit advanced and some require special equipment such as a smoker or sous vide. We suggest you commit to a recipe, follow the instructions exactly, and let Kenney lead you to “craft the future of food.”
2. The Edgy Veg: 138 Carnivore-Approved Vegan Recipes
You’re following a recipe online, and you need to scroll or the screen goes black. Your hands are covered in flour, the pot is boiling too quickly, and there’s no time to wash your hands. Ah!!! Thankfully, YouTube recipe curator Candice Hutchings (aka, The Edgy Veg) released her first cookbook so you don’t have to worry about messing up your computer keys. Known for veganizing animal-based comfort foods such as Crunchy Taco Wrap Supreme, Drunken Fish and Chips, and Sriracha Beer Waffles, Hutchings’ recipes require some preparation time and a solid list of ingredients, but (as we’ve discovered) the wait is worth the work.
3. Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen: Epic Anytime Recipes with a World of Flavor
Richa Hingle’s second publication is full of vibrant and unique recipes inspired by her popular vegan recipe blog Vegan Richa. Although Hingle can veganize and perfectly execute almost any dish, her specialty is Indian food. Ringle’s book also includes recipes for creative burgers and pizzas such as Samosa Sliders and Barbecue Pizza with Jerk Beans and Vegetables. We love the fact that she’s also a big proponent of sauces, and even dedicates a special section to “Awesome Sauce.”
4. Planting Our Roots
This e-book is the first publication from vegan couple Jasmine Briones and Chris Petrellese (aka, Sweet Simple Vegan and Conscious Chris). The recipes celebrate a melding of their families’ Filipino and Italian cultures, as well a few modern favorites such as Petrellese’s Breakfast Burrito, Kare Kare, Buffalo Cauliflower Fried Rice, and Mango Sticky Rice Thumb Print Cookies.
Bonus: 7 Books to pre-order
Just because we have enough recipes to last us until 2025 doesn’t mean we also can’t wait for some highly anticipated cookbooks in 2018. Do a friend (or yourself) a favor by pre-ordering these books now, as many pre-orders come with perks such as exclusive free recipes, e-books, and special book-signing invitations. Here are seven upcoming cookbooks we can’t wait to get in our hands.
1. Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals by Gena Hamshaw. Available January 23.
2. Sweet Potato Soul: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes for the Southern Flavors of Smoke, Sugar, Spice, and Soul by Jenne Claiborne. Available February 6.
3. Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face by Lauren Toyota. Available February 27.
4. Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan by Chloe Coscarelli. Available March 6.
5. Food is the Solution: What to Eat to Save the World—80+ Recipes for a Greener Planet and a Healthier You by Matthew Prescott. Available March 27.
6. The Plantpower Way: Italia: Delicious Vegan Recipes from the Italian Countryside by Julie Piatt and Rich Roll. Available April 24.
7. Vegan Yack Attack On the Go!: Plant-Based Recipes for Your Fast-Paced Vegan Lifestyle by Jackie Sobon. Available July 3.
Photo courtesy of PLANTLAB
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
From cruelty-free lipsticks to animal-shelter donations, the swag bag at the 90th Academy Awards is brimming with lavish vegan gifts.
Read More »
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day