Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
Carrot cake, peanut-butter pie, and doughnuts are just a few ways were breaking the cookie-cutter tradition (pun intended).
1. Carrot cake
Besides Santa, you know who else likes treats? His reindeer, that’s who. With this in mind, we’re leaving a plate of carrots for St. Nick’s hard-working team and a generous slice of vegan carrot cake for Santa. For a gluten-free recipe, check out the Minimalist Baker’s version. Her cake is divine, and it makes the perfect vessel for her vegan cream cheese frosting. Instead of milk, we’re leaving Santa a Mason jar of this sweet stuff—it’s that good.
2. Red velvet cake (or cheesecake!)
If Santa’s anything like us, he will be thrilled to find a thick slice of vegan red velvet cake alongside a tall glass of almond milk. If you live near a Sprinkles, pick up one of their signature red velvet vegan cupcakes. No Sprinkles in town? Many generic boxed cake mixes are accidentally vegan and can be prepared using a vegan egg replacer and plant-based butter (or seltzer water). Even better? Surprise Santa with No-Bake Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes from vegan recipe blog Pickles & Honey. These mostly raw bites use beets for their glowing red hue, which will perfectly match Santa’s suit.
3. OMG Oreo-Peanut Butter-Fudge Brownies
Technically, there are cookies involved in this dessert, but they’re covered with gobs of peanut butter and a fudgy brownie, so we’re including them. We love our triple-threat layered brownies because they combine a chocolate chip cookie base with a middle layer of chocolate sandwich cookies (a la Oreos or Joe-Joe’s) and dollops of peanut butter before being topped with a decadent brownie. Serve these to Santa, and you’ll earn yourself a permanent spot on his “nice” list.
4. Peppermint Cremes
Santa has a lot of territory to cover, and even with the power of magic on his side, he will likely be in a rush all night, which is why we’re certain he’ll appreciate these minty chocolate bites that he can easily throw in his pocket and eat on the sleigh. The raw, whole-foods ingredients such as coconut butter and cashews will also give him a break from the sugar rush. Check out the recipe on the PLANTLAB blog, and don’t forget to make a few extra for yourself.
5. Thanksgiving pie
With Thanksgiving more than a month prior to Christmas, Santa is surely on crunch time during this foodie holiday, and we doubt he has time to enjoy a full Thanksgiving feast between supervising the elves, double-checking his list, and performing test-runs on his sleigh. Of course, we believe he deserves to celebrate this holiday as much as anyone, and nothing says “Thanksgiving” like pie. Whether you serve pumpkin, apple, pecan, or sweet potato pie, Santa is sure to appreciate the gesture. Revive your favorite pie recipe, or try chef Rachel Carr’s Sweet Potato Pecan Pie with Bourbon Maple Caramel. This Thanksgiving pie might be a bit late, but you know what they say: better late than never.
A majority of Santa’s journey takes place during the wee hours of the morning, which means he should have breakfast at some point. Doughnuts are a sweet breakfast staple and far more convenient than pancakes or cinnamon rolls. Stop by your favorite vegan doughnut shop, and leave Santa a pretty pink box of his own. Or, get in the kitchen to make our seasonal Vegan Cranberry Citrus Doughnuts.
7. Peanut-butter pie
We’re throwing this in here mainly because we’d like to see a reindeer eat peanut butter. We imagine it would be hilarious, like watching a dog lap up this sticky stuff. Also, peanut-butter pie is delicious, and we’re sure the reindeer would love it. Popular vegan blog Oh, LadyCakes offers multiple spins on this nutty dessert, but we recommend the Hot Fudge Peanut Butter Pie and the Chocolate Mousse Pie with Peanut Butter Whip + Pretzel Crust. Santa and the reindeer will go nuts!
Photo courtesy of Minimalist Baker
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
From cruelty-free lipsticks to animal-shelter donations, the swag bag at the 90th Academy Awards is brimming with lavish vegan gifts.
Read More »
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day