8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
From Asian-influenced and Greek to Indian and pizza-inspired, there are flavors from around the world waiting to be incorporated into your favorite tortilla.
Everyone loves burritos, but sometimes a little change is necessary. And by “change,” we mean burritos that aren’t filled with just beans, rice, guacamole, and salsa. With this in mind, and because it’s National Burrito Day, we’re highlighting eight plant-based burritos that’ll make you rethink how to approach your next burrito experience.
1. Indian Curried Cauliflower & Chickpea Burrito
Similar to a samosa but in a burrito package, this recipe from Oh My Veggies is a great way to use leftover Indian food in an inspired way. Using coconut basmati rice, cauliflower, chickpeas, and a heavy dose of spices, this dish comes together quickly and satisfies all of your Indian food cravings.
2. Greek burrito
Veggies Save the Day’s Greek burrito is much like a gyro but with tortilla instead of pita. This recipe features “traditional” burrito ingredients such as lettuce, tomato, and red onion, but the “meaty” bean/nut mixture made by combining lentils, chickpeas, and walnuts with tomato sauce and spices is what gives this meal its Greek influence.
3. Pizza burrito
As if we needed more reason to eat pizza, Veggies Don’t Bite has provided us with this simple recipe for a pizza burrito. In its simplest form, the dish combines pizza sauce, spinach, mushrooms, cream sauce, and sausage crumbles before baking in the oven.
4. Fall Harvest Burrito
If you’re looking for a meal with the taste of fall flavors or a tasty way to eat more grains and vegetables, look no further than this burrito from Veggies Don’t Bite. With Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, brown rice, apples, and pistachios, this concoction is packed with healthy ingredients ready to dip into a homemade raspberry mayonnaise.
5. Jamaican jerk jackfruit Caribbean burrito
Jackfruit has become a recent star of the vegan world, taking the place of meat in many recipes. For this dish from Vegan Richa, homemade Jamaican jerk seasoning, mango, black beans, and cucumber give the burrito a Caribbean feel … even when you’re thousands of miles away from the islands.
6. White bean and avocado-baked burrito
These burritos are more traditional but come with a slight variation due to the use of white beans over refried or black beans and the addition of mushrooms. Baking these burritos gives them more of an enchilada feel, but you can smother them with sauce in the oven or dip them in the zesty avocado lime dressing once out of the oven.
7. Macnocheeto burrito
Sadly, this burrito is not a recipe, but it just sounds too good not to include. From famed vegan food truck Homegrown Smoker in Portland, OR comes this burrito filled with smoked soy curls, barbecued beans, homemade vegan cheese, grilled peppers and onions, barbecue sauce, and cheese sauce.
8. Bánh mì burrito
The Bánh mì has quickly become another popular hand-held meal perfect for those on the run or fond of food trucks. These mushroom Bánh mì burritos from Pickles & Honey offer plenty of alternatives for those who prefer to use tofu in place of the marinated mushrooms, collard greens instead of the tortilla (for a gluten-free version), or quinoa instead of brown rice. The options are endless, but each result is totally tasty!
Hayden Seder is the Content Editor of SVPN Magazine in Sun Valley, Idaho and has been vegan for 14 years.
Photo courtesy of Vegan Richa
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket