Cardi B Feasts on Vegan Food at Coachella
The celebrated songstress and fellow musicians Migos, Daniel Caesar, Ghostface Killah, Kelela, and Beyoncé's crew enjoyed vegan food at Coachella thanks to vegan chef Lauren Von Der Pool.
Dominican/Trinidadian singer Belcalis Almanzar (known professionally as “Cardi B”) enjoyed vegan food provided by catering service/food truck Food Art by Lauren at this year’s Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Food Art by Lauren founder Lauren Von Der Pool told VegNews that a number of artists performing at this year’s festival “caught wind” of the availability of her vegan food and either “trekked” the one-mile stretch outside of the performing area to acquire her plant-based dishes or ordered her food via text message or Instagram. “They loved my Coachella menu, which featured everyone’s favorite, my Cornbread Chik-un and Waffles topped with White Sweet Potato Purée, Coconut Braised Greens, and a Blue Majik Mango Butter,” Von Der Pool said. “I’ve already gotten calls from everyone with requests for more. A few people ordered multiple times in the same day.” Celebrities who enjoyed Von Der Pool's vegan food during the festival included rap group Migos, Canadian singer Daniel Caesar, musician Kelela, instrumentalist Sudan Archives, rapper Ghostface Killah, writer/actress Jade Novah, Grammy-nominated singer Luke James, former professional basketball player John Salley, and singer Beyoncé’s crew. Von Der Pool began her journey into vegan cooking by selling vegan tarts at the age of 16 in front of Howard University Business School in Washington, DC, before attending acclaimed culinary school Le Cordon Bleu in California at the age of 21, when she worked with Wolfgang Puck Catering to provide vegan food to ceremonies such as the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards, and American Music Awards. Von Der Pool has since worked with former first lady Michelle Obama on her “Let’s Move” campaign, musicians Stevie Wonder, Patti LaBelle, and Erykah Badu, and was the impetus behind tennis star Venus Williams adopting a mostly plant-based diet to combat Sjögren's syndrome. Von Der Pool believes that celebrity endorsement of vegan food is an important step in the right direction. “It’s important to impact celebrities with this knowledge and awareness because they naturally share it with the masses, which is what we need,” Von Der Pool said. “It is a global wake up call.”
IKEA to Debut Vegan Hot Dog at Boston Music Festival
The furniture superstore's newest plant-based food option will make its first appearance at music festival Boston Calling this weekend before expanding to IKEA locations nationwide this fall.
Read More »
Paul McCartney: "Meat-Free Is the New Rock and Roll"
McCartney reminisces about a time when meatless entreés meant a plate of steamed vegetables and believes that in 25 years, vegetarian diets will be the norm.
Read More »
Impossible Burger is Now Certified Kosher
The Orthodox Union deemed the plant-based patty kosher, broadening Impossible Burger's customer base to include those with religious dietary restrictions.
Read More »
Residents to Sue Iowa Over Hog Factory Farm Emissions
Factory farms in the largest hog-producing state in the United States are under fire for spewing toxic, ammonia-filled air into local communities.
Read More »
Oat-Based Milk Brand Launches Vegan Ice Cream Line
Swedish vegan milk brand Oatly debuts five flavors of oat-based ice cream.
Read More »
- Vegan-Friendly Pizza Slice Shop to Open in NYC
- Beyond Meat to Debut Beyond Breakfast Sausages
- World's First Vegan Chicken Shop Opens Convenience Store
- Vegan Coffee Shop Thrives in "Steak Country"
- Vegan French Macaron Shop Opens in New Orleans
- Kroger Launches Vegan Recipe Contest
- Vegan Shoe Brand MINK Sells 10,000 Pairs in 2018
- Global Pizza Chain Adds Vegan Cheese to US Locations
- DIY Asian Bowl Chain Adds Vegan Meat to Menu
- Kat Von D Plans to Throw a Big Fat Vegan Wedding
- Philly's First Vegan Deli to Open in Historic Food Hall
- Veganism Fueling Global Demand for Coconut Milk
- Animal Sanctuary in Mississippi Gets a Facelift
- Utah Mayor Goes Vegan to Set Example for Citizens
- UK Makeup Guru Says Vegan is "The Right Thing to Do"
- Karlie Kloss Touts Beyond Burger as the Future of Meat
- NY Fireman Credits Veganism for Helping Him Save Lives
- Researchers Uncover Plant-Based B12 Breakthrough
- Sacramento to Host Month-Long Vegan Burger Battle
- The Walking Dead Star Austin Amelio Goes Vegan