4 Stress-Busters to Keep Tax Season from Getting the Best of You
If the big push to file taxes on time has stress levels soaring, try these quick-fix tips.
In the eyes of many Americans, April 15 is the equivalent of Doomsday. The dreaded tax due date means swimming through reams of paperwork and reducing one's life to a series of itemized numbers. Once it's all said and done, taxpayers are often spent—spiritually, emotionally, and mathematically (so many numbers!). Fret not. Herbivorous healing, decompression, and mood-boosters are at your fingertips.
Colorful, luscious fruit is the perfect stress-eating antidote. It provides the palate with a much-deserved natural sugar high. Fruits are packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C, helping protect you from illness. Combat the headache caused by staring at tax forms in front of computer by setting out for a sunny stroll or vigorous bike ride to your nearest farmers' market, grocer, or urban garden. Nothing is more fun than weighing down your tote bag with a hefty treasure trove of fresh, seasonal, juicy treats. For a fruit-filled boost, try a novel Ambrosia Salad, Minty Yogurt Fruit Salad, or Tofu Cream Sauce Fruit Salad. Now, go ahead and gorge on this guilt-free smorgasbord!
It's a given that tax season causes stress, which takes a toll on your health in a big way. Looking to avoid fatigue, headaches, high blood pressure, and backaches? Successfully addressing stress is as easy as indulging in a heart-pumping, mood-boosting, endorphin-rushing 30-minute workout. Exercise not only promotes health, but also increases confidence, sustains energy levels, and ramps up the libido—and, despite what marketers would have you believe, it's absolutely 100-percent free. Practice yoga or Pilates in your bedroom, or hit the ground running or walking. Take to the outdoors and stimulate your chi with a session of Qigong, a moving meditation, or Tai Chi, a gentle martial art. You'll not only melt away the tension from tax day, but also extra calories.
To let loose, sometimes you just want to party like a college freshman—consequences, like the inevitable hangover, be damned. So long as it isn't a lifestyle, it's ok to live and let live—just be sure that your libations are vegan drinks. Keep it chic with vegan wines, such as Four Chimneys Organic Wines, Hip Chicks Do Wine, or Yellowtail reds. Go no-holds-barred with saucy sippers, such as Smirnoff vodka, Jack Daniel's whiskey, Seagram's gin, or Malibu rum. Let the sin begin with more ease than ever before by downloading Barnivore's iPhone app—it provides a handy, comprehensive list of veg-friendly beverages.
The Big Finish
Tax season is over! No matter your tax-day remedy of choice, be sure to find time for family and friends—socializing and laughing with other people is one of the single-most important things that you can do for your health. It produces serotonin, endorphins, and oxytocin, leaving you with good feelings all over.
9 Tips to Rid Yourself of Winter Woes
Don't let winter drain your spirits this year with this how-to guide on toughing out the icy winds.
Read More »
3 Vegan Thanksgiving Sides from the Experts
Three culinary geniuses share scrumptious vegan sides perfect for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
Thanksgiving Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Caramelized Pecans
VegNews' co-founder Colleen Holland shares one of her favorite holiday dishes, complete with sweet, caramelized pecans that are sure to dazzle your guests.
Read More »
Quinoa Quandry: The Truth Behind South Americas Superfood
Can you consume quinoa and still be an ethical eater? We explore the hype surrounding the Mother Grain.
Read More »
3 Simple Timelines for a Stress-Free Vegan Thanksgiving
Your ultimate checklist for getting everything done for UnTurkey Day.
Read More »
- 5 Pancakes for a Cheerfully Decadent Holiday Season
- 10 Downright Delicious Dessert Thanksgiving Recipes
- VN Thanksgiving Exclusive: Five Holiday Centerpieces
- 10 Amazing Savory Thanksgiving Recipes
- Toddy Takeover: 10 Amazing Vegan Cold-Weather Cocktails
- 5 Unforgettable Vegan Fall Getaways
- 3 Creative Trimmings for 3 Classic Holiday Pies
- Thanksgiving Tool Kit: Four Great Ways To Do Turkey Day Your Way
- Vegan Weddings 2013 (Jenny Uehisa & Scott Jurek)
- The Ultimate Vegan Getaway: The Stanford Inn
- How Loving Animals Can Benefit Your Health
- 7 Inflammation-Reducing Food Groups
- 14 Game-Changing Avocado Recipes
- The Vegan Zombie Dream Team
- Budget Vegan: Four Ways to Save Big When Going Veg
- 5 Foods to Beautify Your Hair from the Inside Out
- VN Recipe Round Up: 7 Fall Favorites
- VegNews Exclusive: Top Tips for An All-Star Vegan Brunch
- Just In Time for Halloween! The 2013 VegNews Guide to Vegan Candy
- The Ultimate Vegan Halloween Party Tips & Menu