Vegan Weddings 2010 (Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella)
From multi-tiered cakes to the perfect honeymoon, eight couples share their secrets to throwing an unforgettable celebration.
Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella
Honeymoon: Costa Rica
Words of wisdom: “Make sure you save yourself a plate and take home the leftovers. We forgot and were very upset about it later that night when we wanted to pig out.”
Their story: A class project in college brought Emily and Matt together initially, but it wasn’t until they connected a few years after graduating that they realized their compatibility as a couple. Food was often the focus of their early encounters, and they somehow managed to balance their love of whole foods and healthy eating with the somewhat-more-than-occasional indulgence. On their first date, they satisfied their sweet tooth with Green & Black’s dark chocolate and strawberries, setting the tone for many future forays to forage for decadent desserts.
Emily and Matt cemented their bond over broccoli and kale but found equal enjoyment in “insanely long walks” across the Brooklyn Bridge and beyond in search of the most sumptuous sweets they could find. Matt chose one seemingly typical lazy Sunday to pop the question, nonchalantly musing about their future before pulling a ring out from under the bed. Their shared love of greens, beans, quinoa, and vegan dark chocolate guarantees the pair a lifetime of luscious and antioxidant-fueled meals together.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose Galapagos Art Space (New York’s first LEED-certified cultural events space) as the site for their celebration, soliciting help from friends for nearly every aspect of their event. They personalized the processional by playing Leonard Cohen’s “Suzanne” and say having their first dance to The Turtles’ “Happy Together” was one of their favorite moments of the day. True to their foodie form, they called in help from Candle Café, and guests grazed at three separate stations (Mexican, Italian, and Indian) before diving into the pièce de résistance—a fourtier chocolate cake (with one vanilla layer) coated in vegan marzipan icing.
Nori rolls with creamy wasabi
Stuffed potatoes with tofu sour cream and hijiki caviar
Seitan cake with tartare sauce
Pigs in a blanket
Chickpea cakes with mango chutney
Pico de gallo
Marinated pulled seitan Strips
Bean & Rice Pilaf
Fajita and sautéed zucchini, red peppers, onions
Fresh herb mesclun Salad
Rigatoni with seitan meatballs and tofu cheese
Grilled seasonal vegetable platters
Curried vegetables with chickpeas
Cardamom infused basmati rice
Assorted Indian breads
Four-tier chocolate and vanilla cake with vegan marzipan icing
Chocolate and blond raw coconut macaroons
Meet all of our 2010 Vegan Wedding Couples:
Sadaf Hussain & Brandon Juhl (Mercer Island, Wash.)
Traci Medeiros & Patrick Bagan (Riverside, Calif.)
Heidi Grosskamp & Dennis Crean (Redwood Valley, Calif.)
Kathryn Fangsrud & Steven Carpenter (Guanajuato, Mexico)
Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella (Brooklyn, NY)
Candy Tolentino & Josh Black (Beverly Hills, Calif.)
Leslie Ramos & Jason Carmona (Austin, Texas)
Danielle Distefano & Matthew Miller (New York City, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2010 Guide to Vegan Weddings.
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply Now!
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
Wear cool clothing, give amazing gifts, and watch Okja, and you can be my Valentine.
Read More »
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert
- 34 Reasons Why Vegans Are in the Cool Kids Club