Vegan Weddings 2010 (Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella)
From multi-tiered cakes to the perfect honeymoon, eight couples share their secrets to throwing an unforgettable celebration.
Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella
Honeymoon: Costa Rica
Words of wisdom: “Make sure you save yourself a plate and take home the leftovers. We forgot and were very upset about it later that night when we wanted to pig out.”
Their story: A class project in college brought Emily and Matt together initially, but it wasn’t until they connected a few years after graduating that they realized their compatibility as a couple. Food was often the focus of their early encounters, and they somehow managed to balance their love of whole foods and healthy eating with the somewhat-more-than-occasional indulgence. On their first date, they satisfied their sweet tooth with Green & Black’s dark chocolate and strawberries, setting the tone for many future forays to forage for decadent desserts.
Emily and Matt cemented their bond over broccoli and kale but found equal enjoyment in “insanely long walks” across the Brooklyn Bridge and beyond in search of the most sumptuous sweets they could find. Matt chose one seemingly typical lazy Sunday to pop the question, nonchalantly musing about their future before pulling a ring out from under the bed. Their shared love of greens, beans, quinoa, and vegan dark chocolate guarantees the pair a lifetime of luscious and antioxidant-fueled meals together.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose Galapagos Art Space (New York’s first LEED-certified cultural events space) as the site for their celebration, soliciting help from friends for nearly every aspect of their event. They personalized the processional by playing Leonard Cohen’s “Suzanne” and say having their first dance to The Turtles’ “Happy Together” was one of their favorite moments of the day. True to their foodie form, they called in help from Candle Café, and guests grazed at three separate stations (Mexican, Italian, and Indian) before diving into the pièce de résistance—a fourtier chocolate cake (with one vanilla layer) coated in vegan marzipan icing.
Nori rolls with creamy wasabi
Stuffed potatoes with tofu sour cream and hijiki caviar
Seitan cake with tartare sauce
Pigs in a blanket
Chickpea cakes with mango chutney
Pico de gallo
Marinated pulled seitan Strips
Bean & Rice Pilaf
Fajita and sautéed zucchini, red peppers, onions
Fresh herb mesclun Salad
Rigatoni with seitan meatballs and tofu cheese
Grilled seasonal vegetable platters
Curried vegetables with chickpeas
Cardamom infused basmati rice
Assorted Indian breads
Four-tier chocolate and vanilla cake with vegan marzipan icing
Chocolate and blond raw coconut macaroons
Meet all of our 2010 Vegan Wedding Couples:
Sadaf Hussain & Brandon Juhl (Mercer Island, Wash.)
Traci Medeiros & Patrick Bagan (Riverside, Calif.)
Heidi Grosskamp & Dennis Crean (Redwood Valley, Calif.)
Kathryn Fangsrud & Steven Carpenter (Guanajuato, Mexico)
Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella (Brooklyn, NY)
Candy Tolentino & Josh Black (Beverly Hills, Calif.)
Leslie Ramos & Jason Carmona (Austin, Texas)
Danielle Distefano & Matthew Miller (New York City, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2010 Guide to Vegan Weddings.
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply Now!
A Vegan Father's Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
Read More »
- 7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List