Vegan Weddings 2010 (Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella)
From multi-tiered cakes to the perfect honeymoon, eight couples share their secrets to throwing an unforgettable celebration.
Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella
Honeymoon: Costa Rica
Words of wisdom: “Make sure you save yourself a plate and take home the leftovers. We forgot and were very upset about it later that night when we wanted to pig out.”
Their story: A class project in college brought Emily and Matt together initially, but it wasn’t until they connected a few years after graduating that they realized their compatibility as a couple. Food was often the focus of their early encounters, and they somehow managed to balance their love of whole foods and healthy eating with the somewhat-more-than-occasional indulgence. On their first date, they satisfied their sweet tooth with Green & Black’s dark chocolate and strawberries, setting the tone for many future forays to forage for decadent desserts.
Emily and Matt cemented their bond over broccoli and kale but found equal enjoyment in “insanely long walks” across the Brooklyn Bridge and beyond in search of the most sumptuous sweets they could find. Matt chose one seemingly typical lazy Sunday to pop the question, nonchalantly musing about their future before pulling a ring out from under the bed. Their shared love of greens, beans, quinoa, and vegan dark chocolate guarantees the pair a lifetime of luscious and antioxidant-fueled meals together.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose Galapagos Art Space (New York’s first LEED-certified cultural events space) as the site for their celebration, soliciting help from friends for nearly every aspect of their event. They personalized the processional by playing Leonard Cohen’s “Suzanne” and say having their first dance to The Turtles’ “Happy Together” was one of their favorite moments of the day. True to their foodie form, they called in help from Candle Café, and guests grazed at three separate stations (Mexican, Italian, and Indian) before diving into the pièce de résistance—a fourtier chocolate cake (with one vanilla layer) coated in vegan marzipan icing.
Nori rolls with creamy wasabi
Stuffed potatoes with tofu sour cream and hijiki caviar
Seitan cake with tartare sauce
Pigs in a blanket
Chickpea cakes with mango chutney
Pico de gallo
Marinated pulled seitan Strips
Bean & Rice Pilaf
Fajita and sautéed zucchini, red peppers, onions
Fresh herb mesclun Salad
Rigatoni with seitan meatballs and tofu cheese
Grilled seasonal vegetable platters
Curried vegetables with chickpeas
Cardamom infused basmati rice
Assorted Indian breads
Four-tier chocolate and vanilla cake with vegan marzipan icing
Chocolate and blond raw coconut macaroons
Meet all of our 2010 Vegan Wedding Couples:
Sadaf Hussain & Brandon Juhl (Mercer Island, Wash.)
Traci Medeiros & Patrick Bagan (Riverside, Calif.)
Heidi Grosskamp & Dennis Crean (Redwood Valley, Calif.)
Kathryn Fangsrud & Steven Carpenter (Guanajuato, Mexico)
Emily Shapiro & Matt Pascarella (Brooklyn, NY)
Candy Tolentino & Josh Black (Beverly Hills, Calif.)
Leslie Ramos & Jason Carmona (Austin, Texas)
Danielle Distefano & Matthew Miller (New York City, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2010 Guide to Vegan Weddings.
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply Now!
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2017? Here are your top 10 favorite reads of the year.
Read More »
No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
Hemp seeds are a healthy superfood that can help vegans (and everyone else) get the protein and healthy fats they need for optimal health.
Read More »
10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
Your local drugstores makeup aisles are full of cruelty-free hidden treasures.
Read More »
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me
- 6 Vegan Thanksgiving Dinners for Any Food-Obsessed New Yorker
- 15 Vegan Hacks for Your Favorite Fast-Food Joints