8 Vegan Hair Care Companies for Your Tresses
Make every day a good hair day with these cruelty-free tips.
Whether you don flowing hippie tresses, bounce around with a bob, or let your locks fall somewhere in between, healthy, shiny, and gorgeous hair is what we all want. When you’re vegan, many of the products on the market promising perfect hairdos turn out to be absolute don’ts. Like so much man-made merchandise, hair products can be loaded with animal products hiding behind the guise of long, unpronounceable names. Luckily, we’ve put together a list of chemicals to avoid and a few hair care suggestions to ensure that everyday is a good hair day.
The next time you’re lathering up, check the back of the bottle for Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, which is mostly derived from cows, pigs, and chickens. In shampoo, it’s used to add gloss or reduce split ends. Luckily, vegan shampoo products are easy to find. For dry hair, Aubrey Organics promises to replenish with reparative oils. Giovanni’s Four Elements gives the salon experience at home without the harmful additives. Kiss My Face Miss Treated Shampoo helps to undo everything chemicals have done to your hair.
Conditioner provides your hair with the strength conditioning to be healthy and voluminous—but can also be full of animal derivatives. Stearic Acid, sometimes derived from cows, sheep, dogs, and cats can be found in conditioner. The same goes for steroids, often derived from animal glands and also used in hair conditioners. Some ethical alternatives include Desert Essence coconut conditioner, which in addition to being vegan is fragrance- and gluten-free. For fuller, more voluminous hair, Jason’s Biotin Conditioner promises to thicken strands and add moisture.
The finishing touches give your locks a little oomph. But from hairspray to smoothing creams, finishing products are often not vegan. Keratin is found in permanent wave solutions, and is made from animal horns and hooves. Cysteine, an amino acid, can also come from animals, and is sometimes used in creams. For some animal-friendly alternatives, try Aveda volumizing tonic with certified organic aloe that is sure to add height to your hair. And Beauty Without Cruelty hairspray has been cruelty-free since 1963, and will give your hair extra hold.
Walk through any hair care aisle and you’ll see that there are more hair products out there than you’d care to count. Ingredients are the first place to start in your search for the perfect ‘do. Some ethical companies, such as Avalon Organics, have a complete ingredient glossary on their websites. Vegan Beauty Review gives detailed descriptions of tested products. The Kind Life and PETA also have databases detailing which companies are vegan and animal-friendly, and which are not. Craving a change of color? Check out VN’s Hue How To and find out how to dye your locks cruelty-free, while avoiding harmful chemicals.
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching, and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2017? Here are your top 10 favorite reads of the year.
Read More »
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me