6 Ways to Recharge this Weekend
Get refreshed and feel brand new with these tips for making the most of your two days off.
Whether it’s school, work, or general stress, the week can take its toll on anyone. So when you’re wishing you had a reboot button to press Sunday night, consider these tips that will have you refreshed and ready to take on the week by the time Monday rolls around.
Indulge in Brain Food
Remember that book you’ve been meaning to finish? Use your weekends to read and recharge. There’s no better way to get your brain flowing after a rough week than spending time cozied up to a book. With a blanket over your lap and some hot tea on the side table, try out some of VN’s favorite page-turners from our Media Lounge section in the May+June 2016 Issue.
Get Your Green Thumb On
Whether planting new vegetables and fruits, or tending to ones you already have, weekend gardening is a great way to relieve stress. Time in the sun will boost your vitamin D supply—just make sure to put on the SPF if you plan on gardening for more than an hour. For those in typically less garden-friendly cities, get inspired by Urban Gardeners across the country. Plus, you’ll literally get to watch your rewards grow with each passing week.
Have a Recipe Showdown
Always wanted to try making vegan Macaroni and Cheese or Chocolate Truffle Cake? Plan a recipe showdown for the weekend with friends, family, neighbors—anyone who wants to cook, or just eat, some delicious vegan food. Talented authors Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero, Robin Robertson, and more, make it easy to compile a menu of tasty recipes ready to whip up in a home kitchen. Surrounded by loved ones and heaps of food, you’ll forget anything stressful about the previous week.
Rise and Stretch
Being strapped for time during the weekday mornings makes it hard to shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast, let alone make it to a yoga class or do stretches at home. Starting each day with some relaxing yoga or meditation will help boost energy levels and keep your mind clear. If you’re looking to make your weekend completely relaxation-filled, arrange an extended stay at an Eco-Veg Resort or Spa.
Play with Puppies
Studies show that petting animals reduces stress and improves your mood, so make the weekend particularly special for your companion animal. Go to the beach or park, or get them the toy of their dreams—you’ll benefit, too. If you don’t have an animal of your own, volunteer at a local shelter and spend a Saturday or Sunday morning playing with the dogs and cats that need it most. For a special trip to hang out with animals beyond canines and felines, visit Farm Sanctuary or Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.
The ultimate way to give yourself a long-lasting energy boost? Sleep. The average American adult only gets 6.7 hours of sleep during the weekday, and that number is often much less for those with longer work hours. For the weekend, make sure you aren’t staying up until 4am browsing vegan blogs or cleaning your kitchen, and make the time to rest. Getting those necessary hours of shut-eye will keep you wide-eyed during the day.
From reading to cooking to getting restful sleep, these simple tips will ease you back into the work week without having to reach for a cup of coffee.
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
Wear cool clothing, give amazing gifts, and watch Okja, and you can be my Valentine.
Read More »
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert
- 34 Reasons Why Vegans Are in the Cool Kids Club