6 Ways to Recharge this Weekend
Get refreshed and feel brand new with these tips for making the most of your two days off.
Whether it’s school, work, or general stress, the week can take its toll on anyone. So when you’re wishing you had a reboot button to press Sunday night, consider these tips that will have you refreshed and ready to take on the week by the time Monday rolls around.
Indulge in Brain Food
Remember that book you’ve been meaning to finish? Use your weekends to read and recharge. There’s no better way to get your brain flowing after a rough week than spending time cozied up to a book. With a blanket over your lap and some hot tea on the side table, try out some of VN’s favorite page-turners from our Media Lounge section in the May+June 2016 Issue.
Get Your Green Thumb On
Whether planting new vegetables and fruits, or tending to ones you already have, weekend gardening is a great way to relieve stress. Time in the sun will boost your vitamin D supply—just make sure to put on the SPF if you plan on gardening for more than an hour. For those in typically less garden-friendly cities, get inspired by Urban Gardeners across the country. Plus, you’ll literally get to watch your rewards grow with each passing week.
Have a Recipe Showdown
Always wanted to try making vegan Macaroni and Cheese or Chocolate Truffle Cake? Plan a recipe showdown for the weekend with friends, family, neighbors—anyone who wants to cook, or just eat, some delicious vegan food. Talented authors Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero, Robin Robertson, and more, make it easy to compile a menu of tasty recipes ready to whip up in a home kitchen. Surrounded by loved ones and heaps of food, you’ll forget anything stressful about the previous week.
Rise and Stretch
Being strapped for time during the weekday mornings makes it hard to shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast, let alone make it to a yoga class or do stretches at home. Starting each day with some relaxing yoga or meditation will help boost energy levels and keep your mind clear. If you’re looking to make your weekend completely relaxation-filled, arrange an extended stay at an Eco-Veg Resort or Spa.
Play with Puppies
Studies show that petting animals reduces stress and improves your mood, so make the weekend particularly special for your companion animal. Go to the beach or park, or get them the toy of their dreams—you’ll benefit, too. If you don’t have an animal of your own, volunteer at a local shelter and spend a Saturday or Sunday morning playing with the dogs and cats that need it most. For a special trip to hang out with animals beyond canines and felines, visit Farm Sanctuary or Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.
The ultimate way to give yourself a long-lasting energy boost? Sleep. The average American adult only gets 6.7 hours of sleep during the weekday, and that number is often much less for those with longer work hours. For the weekend, make sure you aren’t staying up until 4am browsing vegan blogs or cleaning your kitchen, and make the time to rest. Getting those necessary hours of shut-eye will keep you wide-eyed during the day.
From reading to cooking to getting restful sleep, these simple tips will ease you back into the work week without having to reach for a cup of coffee.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism