Top Five Vegan Fashion Trends
Check out our five favorite spring fashion trends and how to wear them with cruelty-free style.
Perhaps even more exciting than longer days, sunshine, and a thermometer reaching past the 40s is putting away those sweaters for shorts. This spring, bold colors, comfortable basics, creative prints, and much more were found on the runways, and we’ve picked out our top five favorite trends for men and women, plus picks from our favorite vegan clothiers and mainstream shops.
The Trend: Bold Colors
What better way to express the joy of sunshine than with bright smatterings of red, yellow, and blue? Spring runways featured pieces of bold hues in everything from skirts to shoes, with orange and blue leading the way. Many womens’ designers featured “colorblocking,” styling clothing (or a piece of it) with solid pieces of varying, yet complimentary, colors. For men, blue was a true standout, and khaki pieces were upgraded with reds, greens, and everything in between.
Wear It: For ladies, add some au courant color with a colorblocked dress, a stylish indigo windbreaker, colorful sandals, or an orange handbag. For men, bright blue khaki pants, a turquoise graphic tee, or a vintage orange carry-all will add color to your wardrobe.
The Trend: Neutrals
Black, beige, rust, and perhaps most of all, white, were a major trend on runways for spring. From khaki trench dresses to sheer peach skirts and lace, the neutral palate is a must-wear for women. Neutrals were also heavily featured on men’s runways, with white and tan jackets, double-breasted blazers in grey, and head-to-toe black.
Wear It: Rust-colored shorts, a sheer, oversized cotton shirt, or a casual lace racer-back dress will keep women in style this spring, while a double-breasted blazer, black over-the-shoulder bag, white pants, or tan chino jacket are perfect for men.
The Trend: Prints
This spring’s floral and abstract prints provide flashes of color bright as springtime blooms. Featured in more than just women’s dresses and skirts, designers not only showcased colorful and creative prints for men, but also combined them. Create a look that is both busy but entirely put-together by picking two patterns with the same main color. Using colors in the same color family (think reds and oranges or blues and greens) will work, too.
Wear It: With a tiered tank dress, paisley shirt, floral skirt, linen flats, or Ikat purse, women can add prints easily. For men, a geometric-print shirt or vibrant checkered shirt are an easy way to update for spring.
The Trend: 70s Chic
This spring’s 70s trend for women is a little less flower power and a little more Studio 54. The decade’s popular high-waisted jean is back for another season, metallic one-shoulder dresses and skirts give a nod to the disco area, and maxi dresses suggest hippie but say 2011.
Wear It: High-waist jeans, wide-leg trousers, or an embroidered kaftan will provide a solid nod to the 70s, while bringing in the era with a metallic handbag or oversized sunglasses says 70s, subtly.
The Trend: Casual Preppy
The chambray, boat shoes, and short-sleeved shirts on men’s spring runways reflected a trend toward prep. Classic, preppy warm-weather staples were everywhere, but when dressing this spring, don’t overdo it. Simple buttondowns with loafers, or a braided belt and plain shorts have the right amount of prep, no bow-tie necessary.
Wear It: A worn-in chambray shirt, short-sleeved shirt, or pastel swimming trunks will prep up any outfit, and both vegan boat shoes and hemp loafers will complete a preppy spring look.
A Vegan Father's Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
Read More »
- 7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List