Top Five Vegan Fashion Trends
Check out our five favorite spring fashion trends and how to wear them with cruelty-free style.
Perhaps even more exciting than longer days, sunshine, and a thermometer reaching past the 40s is putting away those sweaters for shorts. This spring, bold colors, comfortable basics, creative prints, and much more were found on the runways, and we’ve picked out our top five favorite trends for men and women, plus picks from our favorite vegan clothiers and mainstream shops.
The Trend: Bold Colors
What better way to express the joy of sunshine than with bright smatterings of red, yellow, and blue? Spring runways featured pieces of bold hues in everything from skirts to shoes, with orange and blue leading the way. Many womens’ designers featured “colorblocking,” styling clothing (or a piece of it) with solid pieces of varying, yet complimentary, colors. For men, blue was a true standout, and khaki pieces were upgraded with reds, greens, and everything in between.
Wear It: For ladies, add some au courant color with a colorblocked dress, a stylish indigo windbreaker, colorful sandals, or an orange handbag. For men, bright blue khaki pants, a turquoise graphic tee, or a vintage orange carry-all will add color to your wardrobe.
The Trend: Neutrals
Black, beige, rust, and perhaps most of all, white, were a major trend on runways for spring. From khaki trench dresses to sheer peach skirts and lace, the neutral palate is a must-wear for women. Neutrals were also heavily featured on men’s runways, with white and tan jackets, double-breasted blazers in grey, and head-to-toe black.
Wear It: Rust-colored shorts, a sheer, oversized cotton shirt, or a casual lace racer-back dress will keep women in style this spring, while a double-breasted blazer, black over-the-shoulder bag, white pants, or tan chino jacket are perfect for men.
The Trend: Prints
This spring’s floral and abstract prints provide flashes of color bright as springtime blooms. Featured in more than just women’s dresses and skirts, designers not only showcased colorful and creative prints for men, but also combined them. Create a look that is both busy but entirely put-together by picking two patterns with the same main color. Using colors in the same color family (think reds and oranges or blues and greens) will work, too.
Wear It: With a tiered tank dress, paisley shirt, floral skirt, linen flats, or Ikat purse, women can add prints easily. For men, a geometric-print shirt or vibrant checkered shirt are an easy way to update for spring.
The Trend: 70s Chic
This spring’s 70s trend for women is a little less flower power and a little more Studio 54. The decade’s popular high-waisted jean is back for another season, metallic one-shoulder dresses and skirts give a nod to the disco area, and maxi dresses suggest hippie but say 2011.
Wear It: High-waist jeans, wide-leg trousers, or an embroidered kaftan will provide a solid nod to the 70s, while bringing in the era with a metallic handbag or oversized sunglasses says 70s, subtly.
The Trend: Casual Preppy
The chambray, boat shoes, and short-sleeved shirts on men’s spring runways reflected a trend toward prep. Classic, preppy warm-weather staples were everywhere, but when dressing this spring, don’t overdo it. Simple buttondowns with loafers, or a braided belt and plain shorts have the right amount of prep, no bow-tie necessary.
Wear It: A worn-in chambray shirt, short-sleeved shirt, or pastel swimming trunks will prep up any outfit, and both vegan boat shoes and hemp loafers will complete a preppy spring look.
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
From cruelty-free lipsticks to animal-shelter donations, the swag bag at the 90th Academy Awards is brimming with lavish vegan gifts.
Read More »
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day