7 Vegan Summer Beers
Enjoy breezy summer nights and Fourth of July pool parties with these tasty, refreshing vegan brews.
There’s nothing better than a crisp, chilled drink to cool you down on a hot summer day. VN shares some of the best seasonal beers there are to offer, plus a few that provide sensational summer taste year-round.
1. Abita Wheat (Abita Beer, Abita Springs, LA)
Enjoy the light, crisp taste of this seasonal lager from May to September. This brew, made in small batches in a brewery 30 miles north of New Orleans, is heavy on the wheat, which creates a simple taste that is still full of flavor. This is a great anytime beer, wonderful alone with a twist of lemon or with summertime fare.
2. Allagash White (Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, ME)
This traditional Belgian-style brew is bottle-conditioned, which means yeast and a little bit of sugar are added after the beer is bottled. The resulting fermentation leads to natural carbonation and added tastiness. Coriander and curaçao orange peel create the fruity taste of this year-round brew.
3. ZŌN (Boulevard Brewing Company, Kansas City, MO)
Flemish for “sun,” this seasonal selection is a Belgian-style witbier, or white beer. The light body and mild taste are prefect for pairing with veggie burgers and hot dogs (and a handful of potato chips, while you’re at it). Brewed by Missouri’s largest independent brewery, the ZŌN won the gold medal for Belgian-style witbier at the 2009 Great American Beer Fest.
4. India Pale Ale (Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, CA)
This “homicidally hoppy” ale is made with 43 different hops and 65 malts, creating a complex, intense flavor. If you live in the Bay Area, stop by the brewery for a free tour. Afterwards, nosh on delicious grub, try the IPA (Lagunitas’ flagship beer), and listen to some live music at the brewery’s outdoor beer garden.
5. Somersault Ale (New Belgium Brewing Company, Fort Collins, CO)
Well-known for its Fat Tire Amber Ale, New Belgium also hosts some pretty tasty seasonal selections—enter: Somersault Ale. Easy to drink and caramel in color, apricot, ginger, and citrus make the taste anything but simple. The brewery itself is not to be missed, either—it’s employee-owned and 100-percent focused on sustainability. The bar stools are made from recycled bicycle rims!
6. Summer Pils (Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Houston, TX)
Texas’ oldest craft brewery can do no wrong when it comes to beer—its seasonal selections are so popular they don’t even make it onto grocery store shelves. Their Summer Pils uses hops imported from the Czech Republic and malt from Germany, which create a sweet, delicate, drink-at-anytime flavor.
7. Samuel Adams Summer Ale (The Boston Beer Company, Boston, MA)
The seasonal selection from one of America’s best-known breweries is a grocery-store staple to grab for any summer moment. The not-so-secret ingredient? Grains of Paradise, a rare African pepper. Wheat and lemon peel are added to the brew, resulting in a pint that is nothing short of addicting.
Want even more ideas? Check out Barnivore. Packed with hundreds of breweries, wineries, and distilleries, this handy site will take the guesswork out of choosing a vegan pint (or two). Cheers!
A Romantic Valentine's Dinner for Two
This Valentines Day, treat your sweetheart to a memorable gourmet meal with these recipes from our favorite chefs.
Read More »
VegNews Guide to Vegan Vietnamese Food
From pho to bánh mì sandwiches, Vietnamese cuisine offers a range of veg-friendly options.
Read More »
Spicy Cauliflower Steak with Miso Sauce
Cauliflower, miso, and sriracha combine for an instant classic.
Read More »
Dear Vegan Food, Love VegNews
Vulnerable, emotionally naked, and forever longing, the VegNews staff has written love letters to some of our favorite plant-based foods.
Read More »
3 Raw Vegan Desserts for Valentine's Day
Show how much you love someone with these three sweet treats from raw recipe guru Amy Lyons of Fragrant Vanilla Cake.
Read More »
- Valentine's Day Giveaway: Vegan Raspberry Macaroons
- Eat These 7 Vegan Foods for the Best Valentines Day (and Night) Ever
- 25 Best Vegan Food Finds at Target
- 7 Vegan Super Bowl Recipes That Rule
- Healthy Super Bowl Snack Hacks
- 10 Healthful Foods You Should Be Eating Right Now
- 4 Mouthwatering Vegan Super Bowl Recipes
- 9 Sources of Vegan Protein to Get You Ripped
- 5 Vegan Foods for a Healthy Immune System
- 5 Kitchen Staples Every Vegan Should Have
- VegNews Guide to the Winter Farmers' Market
- 10 Creative Ways to Use Nut Butters
- National Peanut Butter Day, Vegans, & Bachelors
- Macrobiotics 101
- 6 Surprising Ways to Get Vitamin C
- The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
- Four Fun Ways to Incorporate Matcha into Your Meals
- The Vegan Baristas Guide to Healthy Starbucks Drinks
- 6 Vegan Superfoods to Eat Now
- 10 Vegan Drink Recipes for New Years Eve