7 Vegan Summer Beers
Enjoy breezy summer nights and Fourth of July pool parties with these tasty, refreshing vegan brews.
There’s nothing better than a crisp, chilled drink to cool you down on a hot summer day. VN shares some of the best seasonal beers there are to offer, plus a few that provide sensational summer taste year-round.
1. Abita Wheat (Abita Beer, Abita Springs, LA)
Enjoy the light, crisp taste of this seasonal lager from May to September. This brew, made in small batches in a brewery 30 miles north of New Orleans, is heavy on the wheat, which creates a simple taste that is still full of flavor. This is a great anytime beer, wonderful alone with a twist of lemon or with summertime fare.
2. Allagash White (Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, ME)
This traditional Belgian-style brew is bottle-conditioned, which means yeast and a little bit of sugar are added after the beer is bottled. The resulting fermentation leads to natural carbonation and added tastiness. Coriander and curaçao orange peel create the fruity taste of this year-round brew.
3. ZŌN (Boulevard Brewing Company, Kansas City, MO)
Flemish for “sun,” this seasonal selection is a Belgian-style witbier, or white beer. The light body and mild taste are prefect for pairing with veggie burgers and hot dogs (and a handful of potato chips, while you’re at it). Brewed by Missouri’s largest independent brewery, the ZŌN won the gold medal for Belgian-style witbier at the 2009 Great American Beer Fest.
4. India Pale Ale (Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, CA)
This “homicidally hoppy” ale is made with 43 different hops and 65 malts, creating a complex, intense flavor. If you live in the Bay Area, stop by the brewery for a free tour. Afterwards, nosh on delicious grub, try the IPA (Lagunitas’ flagship beer), and listen to some live music at the brewery’s outdoor beer garden.
5. Somersault Ale (New Belgium Brewing Company, Fort Collins, CO)
Well-known for its Fat Tire Amber Ale, New Belgium also hosts some pretty tasty seasonal selections—enter: Somersault Ale. Easy to drink and caramel in color, apricot, ginger, and citrus make the taste anything but simple. The brewery itself is not to be missed, either—it’s employee-owned and 100-percent focused on sustainability. The bar stools are made from recycled bicycle rims!
6. Summer Pils (Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Houston, TX)
Texas’ oldest craft brewery can do no wrong when it comes to beer—its seasonal selections are so popular they don’t even make it onto grocery store shelves. Their Summer Pils uses hops imported from the Czech Republic and malt from Germany, which create a sweet, delicate, drink-at-anytime flavor.
7. Samuel Adams Summer Ale (The Boston Beer Company, Boston, MA)
The seasonal selection from one of America’s best-known breweries is a grocery-store staple to grab for any summer moment. The not-so-secret ingredient? Grains of Paradise, a rare African pepper. Wheat and lemon peel are added to the brew, resulting in a pint that is nothing short of addicting.
Want even more ideas? Check out Barnivore. Packed with hundreds of breweries, wineries, and distilleries, this handy site will take the guesswork out of choosing a vegan pint (or two). Cheers!
Vegan Stuff to Stuff
This Thanksgiving, get stuffed (literally) by filling one delicious food with another.
Read More »
11 Best Vegan Thanksgiving Instagram Posts
From quinoa stuffing to pumpkin pie smoothies, weve rounded up the most like-worthy Thanksgiving posts on Instagram.
Read More »
Two-Ingredient Thanksgiving Hacks from Trader Joe's
Throw a holiday feast with enough items to breeze through the express line at TJ's.
Read More »
5 Ways to Veganize Desserts for Diwali
Celebrate the Hindu festival of light with dairy-free versions of some of Indias favorite sweet treats.
Read More »
The 2015 Veggie Awards
Our annual list of the very best of all-things vegan is here! Read on for this years reader and editors picks for todays hottest vegan people, places, and products.
Read More »
- 5 Weeds You Should Be Eating
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Cheese
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy
- Ultimate Guide to Vegan Caramel
- Move Over Hummus: There's a New Dip in Town!
- 5 Vegan Bachelor Hacks
- Cape Cod Restaurants Take On Vegan Challenge
- The 9 Best Vegan Breakfasts on Instagram
- 10 Drinks with Benefits
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- Blueberry Lavender Popsicles
- Mango Slushie
- Three Cool-Down Treats for Hot Summer Days
- 8 Best Places for Vegan Frozen Yogurt
- Guide to Vegan Ethiopian Food
- Vegan Meal Delivery Services (with Discount Codes!)
- 9 Game-Changing Nut Butters Were Loving
- An Open Letter to Coffeehouses Who Charge for Soy Milk ...
- 5 Ways to Create a Great Vegan Picnic
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Milk