7 Vegan Summer Beers
Enjoy breezy summer nights and Fourth of July pool parties with these tasty, refreshing vegan brews.
There’s nothing better than a crisp, chilled drink to cool you down on a hot summer day. VN shares some of the best seasonal beers there are to offer, plus a few that provide sensational summer taste year-round.
1. Abita Wheat (Abita Beer, Abita Springs, LA)
Enjoy the light, crisp taste of this seasonal lager from May to September. This brew, made in small batches in a brewery 30 miles north of New Orleans, is heavy on the wheat, which creates a simple taste that is still full of flavor. This is a great anytime beer, wonderful alone with a twist of lemon or with summertime fare.
2. Allagash White (Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, ME)
This traditional Belgian-style brew is bottle-conditioned, which means yeast and a little bit of sugar are added after the beer is bottled. The resulting fermentation leads to natural carbonation and added tastiness. Coriander and curaçao orange peel create the fruity taste of this year-round brew.
3. ZŌN (Boulevard Brewing Company, Kansas City, MO)
Flemish for “sun,” this seasonal selection is a Belgian-style witbier, or white beer. The light body and mild taste are prefect for pairing with veggie burgers and hot dogs (and a handful of potato chips, while you’re at it). Brewed by Missouri’s largest independent brewery, the ZŌN won the gold medal for Belgian-style witbier at the 2009 Great American Beer Fest.
4. India Pale Ale (Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, CA)
This “homicidally hoppy” ale is made with 43 different hops and 65 malts, creating a complex, intense flavor. If you live in the Bay Area, stop by the brewery for a free tour. Afterwards, nosh on delicious grub, try the IPA (Lagunitas’ flagship beer), and listen to some live music at the brewery’s outdoor beer garden.
5. Somersault Ale (New Belgium Brewing Company, Fort Collins, CO)
Well-known for its Fat Tire Amber Ale, New Belgium also hosts some pretty tasty seasonal selections—enter: Somersault Ale. Easy to drink and caramel in color, apricot, ginger, and citrus make the taste anything but simple. The brewery itself is not to be missed, either—it’s employee-owned and 100-percent focused on sustainability. The bar stools are made from recycled bicycle rims!
6. Summer Pils (Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Houston, TX)
Texas’ oldest craft brewery can do no wrong when it comes to beer—its seasonal selections are so popular they don’t even make it onto grocery store shelves. Their Summer Pils uses hops imported from the Czech Republic and malt from Germany, which create a sweet, delicate, drink-at-anytime flavor.
7. Samuel Adams Summer Ale (The Boston Beer Company, Boston, MA)
The seasonal selection from one of America’s best-known breweries is a grocery-store staple to grab for any summer moment. The not-so-secret ingredient? Grains of Paradise, a rare African pepper. Wheat and lemon peel are added to the brew, resulting in a pint that is nothing short of addicting.
Want even more ideas? Check out Barnivore. Packed with hundreds of breweries, wineries, and distilleries, this handy site will take the guesswork out of choosing a vegan pint (or two). Cheers!
Morrissey Uses NYC Concert to Promote Veganism
International rock star sings about meatless diets at Madison Square Garden, where concession stands went vegetarian for the night.
Read More »
Top 10 Male Vegan Bloggers
Meet 10 meat-free men who rock out recipes, run marathons, and fight the good fight.
Read More »
How to Veganize Any Recipe: Sweet Edition
Dying to revamp a favorite dessert, but don't know where to start? These expert tips will help you convert any recipe vegan.
Read More »
10 Foods You Never Thought Youd Eat Again
Thought you had to say goodbye to lox, brie, and milk chocolate? Say no more with these 10 vegan foods that taste even better than the originals.
Read More »
5 Ingenius Ways to Eat Chocolate Chips
In honor of National Chocolate Chip Day, here are five revolutionary ways to eat the beloved chip—at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Read More »
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Miyoko's Kitchen
- A Vegan Mothers Day Your Mom Will Love
- A Vegan Cinco de Mayo Brunch
- Why Red Meat is at the Root of Americas Health Epidemic
- 14 Game-Changing Avocado Recipes
- Virgin America to Launch Vegan Airline
- 10 Foods to Help Get Rid of Stress
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
- 10 Creative Ways to Use Nut Butters
- 6 Delicious Ways to Get Vitamin C
- 3 Raw Vegan Desserts
- Valentine's Dinner for Two
- 4 Mouth-Watering Vegan Super Bowl Recipes
- 6 Vegan Superfoods to Eat Now
- 7 Steps to Becoming a Healthier Vegan
- 31 Changes in 31 Days
- The Top 15 Vegan Instagram Photos of 2014
- The Top 15 Stories of 2014
- Israeli Army to Offer Vegan Meals and Leather-Free Boots