Celebrate Spring with a Vegan Twist
Put a progressive spin on holiday traditions without foregoing the festive feelings of the season.
The symbols of spring—life, birth, and renewal—are everywhere we turn this time of year. But because of factory farming and the way meat is processed in this country, this natural ebb and flow is definitely not represented in chicken eggs, which become even more ubiquitous than usual at Eastertime. Here are some ways to celebrate the spirit of the season while honoring our values of compassion and kindness.
Growing up, I relished our family’s annual egg-decorating ritual and the egg hunts that followed, but my fond memories have less to do with the eggs and more to do with the fact that the whole family was involved. The children were given full creative license, and we ran around with great anticipation with all the neighborhood kids. Painting wooden eggs or any wooden figure lets you enjoy the artwork year-round, including the winter holidays, when they can be hung on the tree. Other items (plastic eggs filled with treats, for example) allow for the same effect without contributing to unnecessary cruelty.
After drumming up an appetite during the “egg” hunt, children and adults alike can enjoy a compassionate spread complete with French toast and walnut maple syrup, drop biscuits with raspberry jam, tofu scramble, herbed hash browns, and smoked tofu. For a special treat, mix up some Mimosas, Bellinis, or Bloody Marys (virgin for the young ones, of course).
Put All Your Bulbs in One Basket
Our family always exchanged gifts this time of year, and the Easter basket was a veritable font of goodies. Create a special basket for a loved one by filling it with ingredients for your favorite coffee cake or muffins, along with a recipe or a cookbook. Festoon the basket with daffodils, or include Easter lily bulbs, the quintessential symbol of spring. Include egg-shaped cookies, carrot cake, or chocolate bunnies.
Reap What You Sow
What better way is there to honor the end of the winter and the promise of spring than to plant an herb or vegetable garden? Purchase heirloom and organic seeds from a local nursery and begin the process that embodies the true meaning of the season. A basic herb garden will thrive as long as you have sun, and basics like lettuce, kale, and collards will keep you in the green stuff for many months to come.
Are you ready for that Belllini yet? Try this updated recipe of the Champagne-based classic courtesy of Emily Barth Webber. Redolent of ginger and fruit, this refreshing elixir is spicy, effervescent, and downright delicious.
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup white peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 bottle dry Champagne, chilled
- 8 slices white peach for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine ginger, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain ginger syrup into a blender, and add peaches. Blend until smooth. Pour 2 tablespoons purée into the bottom of eight champagne glasses and top with champagne. Garnish each glass with a peach slice.
Easy Vegan Apple-Raisin Fruit Crisp
Made with rolled oats, Sucanat, vanilla, and spices, this topping takes fall-favorite fruit to a new level. For added crunch and nutrition, add some chopped nuts or sunflower seeds.
Read More »
34 Easy Vegan Meals
These dishes make it easy to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying summer.
Read More »
9 Vegan Ramen Options Across America
Chewy noodles swimming in flavorful broth surrounded by succulent veggies is our idea of heaven in a bowl.
Read More »
13 New Ways to Eat Peanut Butter & Jelly
Whip up these innovative PB&J-inspired recipes that go beyond bread.
Read More »
10 Best Vegan Oreo Hacks on Instagram
From cheesecakes to smoothies to deep-fried delights, theres no Oreo iteration we wont try.
Read More »
- Disease-Fighting Superfoods You Should be Eating
- 5 Great Ways to Get More Calcium
- Vegan Lemon Glaze
- Vegan Blueberry-Orange Bundt Cake
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- 10 (Mouthwatering) Vegan Frappuccinos at Starbucks
- Vegan Eggplant and Portabello Enchiladas with Paprika-Lime Cashew Cream
- Vegan Portabello Pot Roast
- Ultimate Guide to Nut Butters
- Vegan Blueberry Scones
- How to Make Incredible Vegan Cheesecake
- 12 Surprising Vegan Meals at Fast-Food Restaurants
- 32 Easy Vegan Weekday Meals
- Vegan Lemon Curd
- Vegan Thai Vegetable Curry
- Vegan Banana-Oat Waffles
- 7 Protein-Packed Pastas
- 14 Recipes Filled with Springs Best Greens
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Vegan Berry Hand Pies