Vegan Weddings 2012 (Kathleen King & Matt Berry)
Meet Kathleen and Matt, one of 2012s eight fabulous wedding couples.
Kathleen King & Matt Berry
Location: Revolution Brewing Company
Date: September 24, 2011
Their story: When Kathleen and Matt first met at a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign animal-welfare student group meeting, their age difference “precluded anything romantic” (Matt was in graduate school, while Kathleen was only a freshman). A move or two and six-and-a-half years later, however, the duo met again in their hometown of Chicago at a friend’s vegan Thanksgiving. It took Matt a while to ask her out for a casual stroll around the city and $1 PBRs (“I think I made my feelings known,” says Kathleen), but once he did, love was in the air. Roughly two years later, Matt got down on one knee and proposed to Kathleen during a Hawaiian vacation.
Mushroom caps with pepper relish
Crispy polenta squares with Italian-style seitan, marinara sauce, and grilled asparagus
Potato salad with truffle oil and endives
Mini-flatbreads topped with basil purée, beer-battered onion, tomato, and arugula
Tamales with seitan chorizo, poblano peppers, and salsa verde
Asian stir-fry lettuce wraps with rice noodles, vegetables, and cashews
Mini Chicago-style tofu dogs with pickles, relish, yellow mustard, peppers, and celery salt
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, topped with candied carrots, sliced pears, and roasted walnuts
Cookies: Lemon drop, chocolate coffee, chocolate chip, oatmeal scotchie, pumpkin pie, and caramel apple
Meet all of our 2012 Vegan Wedding couples:
Alicia Guzman & Nik Sadler (San Diego, CA)
Mae Stier & Bryan Laubhan (Grand Rapids, MI)
Cher Muzyk & Joseph Longobardo (Detroit, MI)
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke (Palos Verdes Estates, CA)
Kathleen King & Matt Berry (Chicago, IL)
Sarah Stride & Steve Schwass (Las Vegas, NV)
Stacey Bhaerman & Adam Shapiro (Philadelphia, PA)
Stephanie Bain & Ryan Shapiro (Wheaton, MD and New York, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2012 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the July+August edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and ten parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too