Vegan Weddings 2012 (Kathleen King & Matt Berry)
Meet Kathleen and Matt, one of 2012s eight fabulous wedding couples.
Kathleen King & Matt Berry
Location: Revolution Brewing Company
Date: September 24, 2011
Their story: When Kathleen and Matt first met at a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign animal-welfare student group meeting, their age difference “precluded anything romantic” (Matt was in graduate school, while Kathleen was only a freshman). A move or two and six-and-a-half years later, however, the duo met again in their hometown of Chicago at a friend’s vegan Thanksgiving. It took Matt a while to ask her out for a casual stroll around the city and $1 PBRs (“I think I made my feelings known,” says Kathleen), but once he did, love was in the air. Roughly two years later, Matt got down on one knee and proposed to Kathleen during a Hawaiian vacation.
Mushroom caps with pepper relish
Crispy polenta squares with Italian-style seitan, marinara sauce, and grilled asparagus
Potato salad with truffle oil and endives
Mini-flatbreads topped with basil purée, beer-battered onion, tomato, and arugula
Tamales with seitan chorizo, poblano peppers, and salsa verde
Asian stir-fry lettuce wraps with rice noodles, vegetables, and cashews
Mini Chicago-style tofu dogs with pickles, relish, yellow mustard, peppers, and celery salt
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, topped with candied carrots, sliced pears, and roasted walnuts
Cookies: Lemon drop, chocolate coffee, chocolate chip, oatmeal scotchie, pumpkin pie, and caramel apple
Meet all of our 2012 Vegan Wedding couples:
Alicia Guzman & Nik Sadler (San Diego, CA)
Mae Stier & Bryan Laubhan (Grand Rapids, MI)
Cher Muzyk & Joseph Longobardo (Detroit, MI)
Jaya Bhumitra & Christopher Locke (Palos Verdes Estates, CA)
Kathleen King & Matt Berry (Chicago, IL)
Sarah Stride & Steve Schwass (Las Vegas, NV)
Stacey Bhaerman & Adam Shapiro (Philadelphia, PA)
Stephanie Bain & Ryan Shapiro (Wheaton, MD and New York, NY)
For a complete list of caterers, dressmakers, and photographers from each of this year’s wedding couples, visit our 2012 Guide to Vegan Weddings. Want to read all about their actual wedding day and see more photos? Check out the July+August edition of VegNews!
Interested in being a part of next year's VegNews Wedding Feature? Apply now!
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
From cruelty-free lipsticks to animal-shelter donations, the swag bag at the 90th Academy Awards is brimming with lavish vegan gifts.
Read More »
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day