Top 5 Vegan Hybrid Books of 2012
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2012's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Though I’ve been writing these “Top Books” lists for years, last year was the first time I complied the best “hybrid” books of the most recent 12 months. A hybrid book is one that doesn’t qualify as a cookbook, but has too many recipes for my annual non-fiction list. Usually the book begins with a narrative, often on a specific subject or health concern, then finishes with a large section of recipes that complement the first half. Here are my top 5 of 2012.
Eat Vegan on $4 a Day: A Game Plan for the Budget Conscious Cook by Ellen Jaffe Jones (Book Publishing Company)
Ellen Jaffe Jones had the surprise book of the year, a very worthy “budget” conscious work for these lean, still-recovering-from-the-recession times. After a quick yet thorough primer about the whys and economics of veganism, she delivers a healthy variety of mostly easy, tasty recipes that will save both your wallet and your health.
I’m Mad as Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore: Taking Control of Your Health and Your Life—One Vegan Recipe at a Time by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If you are sick food politics, government subsidies, and crappy health, Christina Pirello is for you. In full-on Network fashion, the award-winning TV host and chef tackles all that is wrong with our current food system, then gives you nutritious recipes to assist in fixing it, one bite and one meal at a time.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Physician Neal Barnard and chef Jason Wyrick team up for this one, a vegan weight-loss classic that provides a top-notch education on health (courtesy of Barnard) along with an amazing assortment of kick-butt recipes and menu plans from the talented Wyrick. Either half could have easily been its own book.
The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today by Sharon Palmer (The Experiment)
Registered Dietitian Sharon Palmer wrote a book that is much like a superfood: dense with the good stuff. The abundance of information in the first half is worth its weight in kale, then followed by 75 of the author’s own, family-tested recipes. This is a tome ideal for flexitarians and new vegans who are still learning.
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! by John McDougall, MD and Mary McDougall (Rodale Books)
Four decades into his career advocating a vegan diet, internist John McDougall presents a plan that boils down his practical advice to: eat carbs—the good ones. This book will settle the issue for you once and for all, along with his wife Mary’s recipes, delicious and inviting as always. Starch it up.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer