Top 5 Vegan Hybrid Books of 2012
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2012's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Though I’ve been writing these “Top Books” lists for years, last year was the first time I complied the best “hybrid” books of the most recent 12 months. A hybrid book is one that doesn’t qualify as a cookbook, but has too many recipes for my annual non-fiction list. Usually the book begins with a narrative, often on a specific subject or health concern, then finishes with a large section of recipes that complement the first half. Here are my top 5 of 2012.
Eat Vegan on $4 a Day: A Game Plan for the Budget Conscious Cook by Ellen Jaffe Jones (Book Publishing Company)
Ellen Jaffe Jones had the surprise book of the year, a very worthy “budget” conscious work for these lean, still-recovering-from-the-recession times. After a quick yet thorough primer about the whys and economics of veganism, she delivers a healthy variety of mostly easy, tasty recipes that will save both your wallet and your health.
I’m Mad as Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore: Taking Control of Your Health and Your Life—One Vegan Recipe at a Time by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If you are sick food politics, government subsidies, and crappy health, Christina Pirello is for you. In full-on Network fashion, the award-winning TV host and chef tackles all that is wrong with our current food system, then gives you nutritious recipes to assist in fixing it, one bite and one meal at a time.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Physician Neal Barnard and chef Jason Wyrick team up for this one, a vegan weight-loss classic that provides a top-notch education on health (courtesy of Barnard) along with an amazing assortment of kick-butt recipes and menu plans from the talented Wyrick. Either half could have easily been its own book.
The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today by Sharon Palmer (The Experiment)
Registered Dietitian Sharon Palmer wrote a book that is much like a superfood: dense with the good stuff. The abundance of information in the first half is worth its weight in kale, then followed by 75 of the author’s own, family-tested recipes. This is a tome ideal for flexitarians and new vegans who are still learning.
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! by John McDougall, MD and Mary McDougall (Rodale Books)
Four decades into his career advocating a vegan diet, internist John McDougall presents a plan that boils down his practical advice to: eat carbs—the good ones. This book will settle the issue for you once and for all, along with his wife Mary’s recipes, delicious and inviting as always. Starch it up.
The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
Find yourself in need of some healthy habits? Its a lot easier to train your brain than you might think!
Read More »
Surprising Vegan Finds at Mainstream Grocery Stores with The Laziest Vegans
No Whole Foods? No Trader Joes? No problem! Thanks to The Laziest Vegans, finding vegan eats at your typical American supermarket is easier than you think.
Read More »
5 Tips for Choosing the Right Acupuncturist
Dont let needles or the no know-hows scare you; weve got the information you need to pick the perfect acupuncturist.
Read More »
The 5 Best Moms of All Time
This Mothers Day, we wanted to give a shout out to some of the worlds best moms and the amazing things they do.
Read More »
50 Years Young: The Enduring Vitality of Vegans
For many vegans, age does not mean illness, but an opportunity to run more marathons, write books, and live a richer life.
Read More »
- Sarno Brothers Secret to Getting Wicked Healthy
- 5 Reasons Im Glad to Be Vegan
- Earth Day Interview with NASCARs Vegan Leilani Münter
- 72 Hours With The Big Bang Theorys Mayim Bialik
- Exclusive Interview: Kim & Kanye Go Vegan for Baby
- Exclusive VegNews Issue Preview
- 13 Adoptable Pups for National Puppy Day
- 5 Tips for Making Your Career Dreams Come True
- Colleen Hollands 15 Most-Anticipated Vegan Cookbooks of 2013
- 72 Hours with the Goo Goo Dolls Mike Malinin
- Chloe's Desserts Sneak Peek: 3 Exclusive Recipes from Chloe Coscarelli's New Cookbook
- Cookbook Sneak Preview: Vegan Tiramisu Pancakes
- Cookbook Sneak Preview: Mojito Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookbook Sneak Preview: Hot-Fudge-on-the-Bottom Cake
- Your Valentine on Veganism: An Infographic
- Animals in Love: 5 Species That Commit
- VegNews Dessert Contest with Chloe Coscarelli
- Mardi Gras: A Vegans Survival Guide to New Orleans
- 6 Delicious Ways to Get Vitamin C
- Veganism Saved My Life: Judy Temkin