Top 5 Vegan Hybrid Books of 2012
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2012's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Though I’ve been writing these “Top Books” lists for years, last year was the first time I complied the best “hybrid” books of the most recent 12 months. A hybrid book is one that doesn’t qualify as a cookbook, but has too many recipes for my annual non-fiction list. Usually the book begins with a narrative, often on a specific subject or health concern, then finishes with a large section of recipes that complement the first half. Here are my top 5 of 2012.
Eat Vegan on $4 a Day: A Game Plan for the Budget Conscious Cook by Ellen Jaffe Jones (Book Publishing Company)
Ellen Jaffe Jones had the surprise book of the year, a very worthy “budget” conscious work for these lean, still-recovering-from-the-recession times. After a quick yet thorough primer about the whys and economics of veganism, she delivers a healthy variety of mostly easy, tasty recipes that will save both your wallet and your health.
I’m Mad as Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore: Taking Control of Your Health and Your Life—One Vegan Recipe at a Time by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If you are sick food politics, government subsidies, and crappy health, Christina Pirello is for you. In full-on Network fashion, the award-winning TV host and chef tackles all that is wrong with our current food system, then gives you nutritious recipes to assist in fixing it, one bite and one meal at a time.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Physician Neal Barnard and chef Jason Wyrick team up for this one, a vegan weight-loss classic that provides a top-notch education on health (courtesy of Barnard) along with an amazing assortment of kick-butt recipes and menu plans from the talented Wyrick. Either half could have easily been its own book.
The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today by Sharon Palmer (The Experiment)
Registered Dietitian Sharon Palmer wrote a book that is much like a superfood: dense with the good stuff. The abundance of information in the first half is worth its weight in kale, then followed by 75 of the author’s own, family-tested recipes. This is a tome ideal for flexitarians and new vegans who are still learning.
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! by John McDougall, MD and Mary McDougall (Rodale Books)
Four decades into his career advocating a vegan diet, internist John McDougall presents a plan that boils down his practical advice to: eat carbs—the good ones. This book will settle the issue for you once and for all, along with his wife Mary’s recipes, delicious and inviting as always. Starch it up.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism