Top 5 Vegan Hybrid Books of 2012
Publisher Joseph Connelly suggests five of 2012's best vegan book-cookbook hybrids.
Though I’ve been writing these “Top Books” lists for years, last year was the first time I complied the best “hybrid” books of the most recent 12 months. A hybrid book is one that doesn’t qualify as a cookbook, but has too many recipes for my annual non-fiction list. Usually the book begins with a narrative, often on a specific subject or health concern, then finishes with a large section of recipes that complement the first half. Here are my top 5 of 2012.
Eat Vegan on $4 a Day: A Game Plan for the Budget Conscious Cook by Ellen Jaffe Jones (Book Publishing Company)
Ellen Jaffe Jones had the surprise book of the year, a very worthy “budget” conscious work for these lean, still-recovering-from-the-recession times. After a quick yet thorough primer about the whys and economics of veganism, she delivers a healthy variety of mostly easy, tasty recipes that will save both your wallet and your health.
I’m Mad as Hell, and I’m Not Going to Eat It Anymore: Taking Control of Your Health and Your Life—One Vegan Recipe at a Time by Christina Pirello (Perigee Trade)
If you are sick food politics, government subsidies, and crappy health, Christina Pirello is for you. In full-on Network fashion, the award-winning TV host and chef tackles all that is wrong with our current food system, then gives you nutritious recipes to assist in fixing it, one bite and one meal at a time.
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD (Grand Central Life & Style)
Physician Neal Barnard and chef Jason Wyrick team up for this one, a vegan weight-loss classic that provides a top-notch education on health (courtesy of Barnard) along with an amazing assortment of kick-butt recipes and menu plans from the talented Wyrick. Either half could have easily been its own book.
The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today by Sharon Palmer (The Experiment)
Registered Dietitian Sharon Palmer wrote a book that is much like a superfood: dense with the good stuff. The abundance of information in the first half is worth its weight in kale, then followed by 75 of the author’s own, family-tested recipes. This is a tome ideal for flexitarians and new vegans who are still learning.
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! by John McDougall, MD and Mary McDougall (Rodale Books)
Four decades into his career advocating a vegan diet, internist John McDougall presents a plan that boils down his practical advice to: eat carbs—the good ones. This book will settle the issue for you once and for all, along with his wife Mary’s recipes, delicious and inviting as always. Starch it up.
10 Dreamy Smoothie Bowl Recipes
With more than 1 million images under the smoothie bowl hashtag on Instagram, this food trend is here to stay.
Read More »
5 Reasons to Reconsider Your Local Animal Shelter
Similar to their lovable four-legged residents, many shelters just need a second chance.
Read More »
10 Questions with Former WWE Wrestler Austin Aries
What does a 200-pound vegan wrestler eat to maintain his size and strength? Plant-based food, of course!
Read More »
6 Tips for Vegan Cosplay and Costumers
Save the world, one plant-based costume at a time.
Read More »
The Busy Life of Esther the Wonder Pig
VegNews sits down with Esther's dads to chat about favorite snacks, vegan cruises, and take an exclusive first look at her upcoming children's book.
Read More »
- 5 Connections Between the Food and Fashion Industries
- 14 Ways to Eat Vegan Smores
- 4 Ways to Talk to Young People About Going Vegan
- 8 Animal Sanctuaries on My Bucket List
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Alana Cowl & Daniel Ferens)
- 5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
- 4 Ways to Celebrate National Ice Cream Sandwich Day—Vegan Style!
- 7 Ways Going Vegan Helps a Middle-Aged Man
- VegNews Launches 16th Annual Veggie Awards
- 5 Things I Learned Working as a Vegan Camp Counselor for Teenagers
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Lindsay Jones & Daniel Cano)
- 6 Vegan Lip Glosses Perfect for Summer
- The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Camping
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Monica Pandian & Praveen Raj)
- 5 Ways Roosters Help Me Stay Sober
- 7 Facebook Groups You Need to Join if You're a New Vegan
- 9 Questions with Vegan Pro Wrestler Zack Sabre, Jr
- 7 Steps to Getting Over Vegan Heartbreak
- Vegan Weddings 2017 (Emily Brobeck & Pierre Wooldridge)
- A Vegan Guide to Eugene, Oregon