Mardi Gras: A Vegans Survival Guide to New Orleans
If youre headed to the Big Easy, make sure to properly fuel your adventure with some of NOLAs best veg-friendly food.
The Big Easy is something of a misnomer each year when the Mardi Gras-induced excitement explodes in New Orleans. From the parades and parties to drinking and dancing, NOLA will be a hotbed of activity on February 12 this year. If you’re going to attempt to participate in the total madness, you’ll need a good hearty nutrition base to power you through the day. Check out these must-visit eateries for all your Mardi Gras munching (or just for the next time you find yourself in Louisiana).
At Bennachin Restaurant, a bustling African eatery, treat yourself to the signature Jama Jama. This fragrant sautéed spinach dish pairs nicely with black-eyed pea fritters, coconut rice, and fried ripe sweet plantains. Bennachin is conveniently located in the French Quarter, near Jackson Square and the New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park for all your sightseeing needs.
La Divina Gelateria, a local chain, is a refreshing choice for this cooling treat. Magazine Row, where you’ll find La Divina Gelateria, is particularly fun, as it offers shopping excursions from nearby boutiques to antique stores. The Peach Champagne sorbet might be the best thing of all time.
Mat & Naddie’s, a Creole-themed restaurant in the Riverbend area, offers a variety of vegetarian dishes, many of which are easily made vegan. The eclectic eats will definitely satisfy, and the organic greens and herbs are grown in the restaurant’s garden. Try the Roasted Banana With Green Lentil Flour Curry Paste.
Superfood Bar’s mainly raw menu will help detox your system after one too many Hurricanes. Or, if you’re still feeling indulgent, go for one of the signature fudgesicles.
Start your day off at Surrey’s Café & Juice Bar with fresh, organic juices or daily specials—don’t miss the Watermelon Limeade. Pair your juice of choice with the Avocado Pesto Sandwich and a bowl of seasonal fruit, and you’ve got yourself a breakfast of champions.
Korean food might not be the first thing you think of when planning a trip to Crescent City, but it should be. The Wandering Buddha, a completely vegan Korean restaurant, offers a stunning array of authentic dishes. Definitely try the bibimbap and scallion pancakes, and make sure to bring cash as credit cards are verboten here.
If experiencing Mardi Gras in New Orleans isn’t in your plans for this year, get in on the fun by throwing your own fabulous Fat Tuesday fête, complete with muffaletta, jambalaya, and King Cake. Beads are optional.
Cherylyn Tompkins is the creator of FabuNOLA and longtime New Orleans resident who enjoys the city's healthier side. VN Editorial Director Elizabeth Castoria would like some bibimbap, now, please.
Just Mayo: Why the FDA Got It Wrong
The US Food and Drug Administration tells Hampton Creek Foods to stop using the word "mayo" in its Just Mayo brand of vegan mayonnaise.
Read More »
9 Game-Changing Nut Butters Were Loving
Say hello to the craziest nut butters you wont be able to get enough of.
Read More »
An Open Letter to Coffeehouses Who Charge for Soy Milk ...
Would you like an upcharge with your soy (or almond or coconut or hemp) latte? No, thank you. Enough is enough.
Read More »
8 Vegan Foods You're Pronouncing Wrong
Take your veganism to the next level by saying these eight hard-to-pronounce words with confidence.
Read More »
5 Quotes from the Man Who Helped Overturn Idaho's Ag-Gag Law
Matthew Liebman, the attorney responsible for helping reverse the bill, took to Reddit yesterday to discuss the monumental ruling.
Read More »
- Dear Facebook Friends ...
- Groundbreaking Vegan Medical Center to Open This Fall
- 5 Ways to Create a Great Vegan Picnic
- The Best Vegan Diet Tips for Long-Distance Running
- Sneak Preview: What's on the Menu at Chloe Coscarelli's NYC Restaurant?
- 14 Reasons Why Pitchfork Music Festival Is Vegan Paradise
- 10 Vegan Street Food Dishes around the Globe
- Vegan Meringue Has Arrived
- How One Rancher's Wife Used Crowdfunding to Finance the Animal Sanctuary of Her Dreams
- 10 Essentials for the Ultimate Fourth of July
- How One Man Survived Mount Everest and the Nepalese Earthquake
- 11 Things You Didnt Know About Pigs
- Top 10 Male Vegan Bloggers
- Vegan Fathers Day, Flowchart-Style
- 10 Mouthwatering Vegan Doughnuts from Coast to Coast
- How to Veganize Any Recipe: Sweet Edition
- 5 Reasons Im Glad to Be Vegan
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Justin's Wonder Box
- Subscriber Appreciation Month Giveaway: Vegan Candy Bars
- 10 Foods You Never Thought Youd Eat Again