VegNews 2013 End of Summer Bucket List
Summer isnt gone yet! Make the most of sunnier days with these 5 fun and rewarding must-dos that should be on everybodys end-of-summer list.
As summer comes to a lulling close, we find ourselves gleefully awaiting the fiery bursts of bright red and golden-yellow autumn leaves that signify fall. We’ll put away our shorts and dust off our wool-free sweaters soon enough, but let us hold on to the last few moments of summer by compiling a sweet end-of-summer bucket list: five fun things we want to do before the last sugary drop of lemonade fades from our lips, giving way to the piping hot and creamy pumpkin soy lattes of fall. Away we go!
1. Go to an animal sanctuary
There is no one season that we feel more compelled to snuggle fuzzy animals. We always want to hug animals––all of them at once in a giant pile of curly tails, soft ears, and little happy paws. But being surrounded by your furry friends on an open farm just seems like an appropriate way to celebrate the end of summer. Here are a few we would visit:
Harvest Home Animal Sanctuary
French Camp, CA
Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary
Sunday Day Farms Animal Sanctuary
La Coste, TX
Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary
2. Dine at Crossroads
It’s no secret that we adore Tal Ronnen’s latest culinary feat––an architecturally beautiful space where the food is fit for the celebrities and Los Angeles socialites it attracts––so of course Crossroads Kitchen is on our end-of-summer list. The word “vegan” is left off the menu because Crossroads isn’t just a restaurant for those of the plant-based persuasion; it’s a world-class dining experience for omnivores and vegans alike, brought to you by one of the food businessiness' top chefs. We’ll take two of the tortelloni, please!
3. Host a Summer Soirée
A warm breeze will waft through the rooftop deck of our downtown loft, and we’ll clink glasses before taking a sip of our ice cool cocktails and bid summer adieu. Donning our summer best––floppy hats, oversized sunglasses, long flowy dresses, and our most tailored blazers––we’ll snack on bite-sized hors d'oeuvres and laugh until our bellies ache. Or, for those of us who just want to kick it with friends one last warm summer night, we’ve got you covered with our guide to How to Host a Summer Vegan Cocktail Party on the Cheap. Bottoms up!
4. Map out the ultimate eat-a-thon
If there’s one thing us herbivores love, it’s food––delicious, decadent, classics, or fusion, give it to us because we love it all. What would a final summer farewell to-do list be without the mention of some sort of non-stop food frenzy: an entire day of saying “yes, please” to every yummy treat we come across. For the planners out there, we’ve got lists for days of the best dishes you’ll ever eat, and we’re personally starting with this one, a map of the vegan-fare oasis that is our very backyard, The 20 Best Vegan Dishes in the Mission District. Yes, please.
5. Adopt a rescue dog
As the temperatures begin to drop, we’ll layer on more clothes and grow reluctant to step outside. To keep us company on the couch, we’re going to adopt an older rescue dog to lay its sleepy head in our laps while we tackle the long reading list that summer picnics and warm evening strolls kept us from. We’ll name him Peaches after our favorite summer fruit and together we’ll wait for winter to pass, and spring to fade until it’s summer once again.
Here’s to hoping you had the best summer yet. And to the pumpkin scones and soy lattes of fall, we extend a hearty welcome!
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching, and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2017? Here are your top 10 favorite reads of the year.
Read More »
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me