Vegan Weddings 2013 (Kristen Powell & Michael Prince)
While this couple knew each other in high school, it wasnt until their college days did they begin to attract each others gaze.
Kristen Powell & Michael Prince
Location: Wilmington, VT and West Dover, VT
Date: September 8, 2012
Their Story: It all goes back to homeroom, freshman year of high school. Since teachers often arranged the seating in their classrooms alphabetically, Kristen and Mike ended up near each other. But nothing romantic happened until college, when Mike asked Kristen out to a movie. He impressed her father by coming to the front door and shaking his hand, an anecdote that even made it into his wedding speech. They began dating long distance, did the on-again, off-again thing for a while, and eventually became a bona fide couple when they both ended up in New York.
The Big Day: Kristen and Mike had the honor of holding the first vegan wedding at Vermont’s Hermitage Inn. Luckily, chef Paul Eschbach welcomed the challenge of crafting a vegan meal (and didn’t bat an eye at Kristen’s 47-page list of suggested menu items). The bride and groom made it their priority to ensure that every last detail—from the candles on the table to the crayons for the kids—was cruelty-free. And while no animals were harmed during the celebration of their wedding, one friend was. Close pal Clayton danced so hard he split his chin open on the dance floor. Now that’s commitment!
Savory Hors D’oeuvres
Veggie Sliders with Homemade Tomato Marmalade
Chickpea Fritters with Parsley and Tzatziki Sauce
Tostones with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
Hummus Tacos with Harissa Sauce and Fresh Mint
Asian-Inspired Hors D’oeuvres
Raw Flax Tempeh Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Veggie and Tofu Sushi
Noodles in Chinese Take-Out Boxes
Edamame Dumplings with Spicy Sauce
Cucumber Mint Water
Handcrafted Root Beer, Ginger Brew, Blueberry Mandarin Orange, and Lemon-Lime Vegan Sodas
Coffee and Tea with Soy Blenders and Vegan Cane Sugar
Heirloom Tomatos and Mushroom Ragout Over Homemade Fettuccine
Plantain Chips, and Cilantro Purée
Roasted Vermont Summer Vegetables and Candle 79 Seitan Wrapped in Phyllo Dough
Chocolate Coffee Cake Layers with Mocha and Raspberry Fillings
Vanilla Cake Layers with Blueberry Filling, Whole Organic Blueberries, and Apricot Spread and a Lemon Rosewater Buttercream
Apple, Blueberry, and Mixed Berry Pies, with Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice Cream
Sorbet Trio in Plum, Strawberry Red Wine, and Lemon-Lime
Click here to see more vegan weddings.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books