Vegan Weddings 2013 (Kristen Powell & Michael Prince)
While this couple knew each other in high school, it wasnt until their college days did they begin to attract each others gaze.
Kristen Powell & Michael Prince
Location: Wilmington, VT and West Dover, VT
Date: September 8, 2012
Their Story: It all goes back to homeroom, freshman year of high school. Since teachers often arranged the seating in their classrooms alphabetically, Kristen and Mike ended up near each other. But nothing romantic happened until college, when Mike asked Kristen out to a movie. He impressed her father by coming to the front door and shaking his hand, an anecdote that even made it into his wedding speech. They began dating long distance, did the on-again, off-again thing for a while, and eventually became a bona fide couple when they both ended up in New York.
The Big Day: Kristen and Mike had the honor of holding the first vegan wedding at Vermont’s Hermitage Inn. Luckily, chef Paul Eschbach welcomed the challenge of crafting a vegan meal (and didn’t bat an eye at Kristen’s 47-page list of suggested menu items). The bride and groom made it their priority to ensure that every last detail—from the candles on the table to the crayons for the kids—was cruelty-free. And while no animals were harmed during the celebration of their wedding, one friend was. Close pal Clayton danced so hard he split his chin open on the dance floor. Now that’s commitment!
Savory Hors D’oeuvres
Veggie Sliders with Homemade Tomato Marmalade
Chickpea Fritters with Parsley and Tzatziki Sauce
Tostones with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
Hummus Tacos with Harissa Sauce and Fresh Mint
Asian-Inspired Hors D’oeuvres
Raw Flax Tempeh Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Veggie and Tofu Sushi
Noodles in Chinese Take-Out Boxes
Edamame Dumplings with Spicy Sauce
Cucumber Mint Water
Handcrafted Root Beer, Ginger Brew, Blueberry Mandarin Orange, and Lemon-Lime Vegan Sodas
Coffee and Tea with Soy Blenders and Vegan Cane Sugar
Heirloom Tomatos and Mushroom Ragout Over Homemade Fettuccine
Plantain Chips, and Cilantro Purée
Roasted Vermont Summer Vegetables and Candle 79 Seitan Wrapped in Phyllo Dough
Chocolate Coffee Cake Layers with Mocha and Raspberry Fillings
Vanilla Cake Layers with Blueberry Filling, Whole Organic Blueberries, and Apricot Spread and a Lemon Rosewater Buttercream
Apple, Blueberry, and Mixed Berry Pies, with Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice Cream
Sorbet Trio in Plum, Strawberry Red Wine, and Lemon-Lime
Click here to see more vegan weddings.
5 Things You Learn After Veg Speed Dating
Meeting vegan singles is fun—and only slightly awkward.
Read More »
How to Combat the USDA's Animal Welfare Blackout
The government just made it nearly impossible to track the abuse of millions of animals used in laboratories each year. VegNews speaks to Beagle Freedom Project founder Shannon Keith to find out what we can do to weather the blow.
Read More »
6 Things to Know about Fat Shaming Among Vegans
Sometimes, questionable intentions and misguided attitudes can collide in the form of discrimination, but theres hope for us yet.
Read More »
VegNews Top 8 Ways to Celebrate Valentines Day
Dreamy V-Day proposals, plant-based aphrodisiacs, and salacious chocolate bites are just the start of how you should celebrate your February 14.
Read More »
4 Tips for Nurturing a Great Vegan Romance
Just because someone else is vegan, youre not necessarily going to live happily ever after—even if youre Mistress Ginger.
Read More »
- 5 Dreamy Vegan Valentine's Day Proposals
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentines Day
- 9 Movie-and-Food Combinations for the Single Vegan on Valentines Day
- 6 Ways to Woo a Vegan Girl Online
- Animals in Love: 5 Species That Commit
- 6 Books Changing Veganism in 2017
- 5 Dating Tips from a Vegan Dating Expert
- 5 Heart Health Tips from Plant-Based Medical Pros
- 5 Ways to Heat Up Your Sex Life on Valentines Day
- 12 Vegan Non-Food Gifts to Woo Your Sweetheart This Valentines Day
- 4 Ways to Find Love as a Vegan Using Mobile Apps
- 10 Vegan Game Day Cocktails
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- An Interview with the Worlds Longest-Running Cat Whisperer
- Top 10 Vegan Body Oils in Stores Now
- 5 Ways 2016 Completely Changed Veganism
- 3 Things Ive Learned Since Working with Chickens
- The VegNews Guide to Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- Veganism Saved My Life: Jeremy Bartel
- 5 Vegan Beauty Tips from Mistress Ginger