Vegan Weddings 2013 (Kristen Powell & Michael Prince)
While this couple knew each other in high school, it wasnt until their college days did they begin to attract each others gaze.
Kristen Powell & Michael Prince
Location: Wilmington, VT and West Dover, VT
Date: September 8, 2012
Their Story: It all goes back to homeroom, freshman year of high school. Since teachers often arranged the seating in their classrooms alphabetically, Kristen and Mike ended up near each other. But nothing romantic happened until college, when Mike asked Kristen out to a movie. He impressed her father by coming to the front door and shaking his hand, an anecdote that even made it into his wedding speech. They began dating long distance, did the on-again, off-again thing for a while, and eventually became a bona fide couple when they both ended up in New York.
The Big Day: Kristen and Mike had the honor of holding the first vegan wedding at Vermont’s Hermitage Inn. Luckily, chef Paul Eschbach welcomed the challenge of crafting a vegan meal (and didn’t bat an eye at Kristen’s 47-page list of suggested menu items). The bride and groom made it their priority to ensure that every last detail—from the candles on the table to the crayons for the kids—was cruelty-free. And while no animals were harmed during the celebration of their wedding, one friend was. Close pal Clayton danced so hard he split his chin open on the dance floor. Now that’s commitment!
Savory Hors D’oeuvres
Veggie Sliders with Homemade Tomato Marmalade
Chickpea Fritters with Parsley and Tzatziki Sauce
Tostones with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
Hummus Tacos with Harissa Sauce and Fresh Mint
Asian-Inspired Hors D’oeuvres
Raw Flax Tempeh Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Veggie and Tofu Sushi
Noodles in Chinese Take-Out Boxes
Edamame Dumplings with Spicy Sauce
Cucumber Mint Water
Handcrafted Root Beer, Ginger Brew, Blueberry Mandarin Orange, and Lemon-Lime Vegan Sodas
Coffee and Tea with Soy Blenders and Vegan Cane Sugar
Heirloom Tomatos and Mushroom Ragout Over Homemade Fettuccine
Plantain Chips, and Cilantro Purée
Roasted Vermont Summer Vegetables and Candle 79 Seitan Wrapped in Phyllo Dough
Chocolate Coffee Cake Layers with Mocha and Raspberry Fillings
Vanilla Cake Layers with Blueberry Filling, Whole Organic Blueberries, and Apricot Spread and a Lemon Rosewater Buttercream
Apple, Blueberry, and Mixed Berry Pies, with Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice Cream
Sorbet Trio in Plum, Strawberry Red Wine, and Lemon-Lime
Click here to see more vegan weddings.
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever