Vegan Weddings 2013 (Kristen Powell & Michael Prince)
While this couple knew each other in high school, it wasnt until their college days did they begin to attract each others gaze.
Kristen Powell & Michael Prince
Location: Wilmington, VT and West Dover, VT
Date: September 8, 2012
Their Story: It all goes back to homeroom, freshman year of high school. Since teachers often arranged the seating in their classrooms alphabetically, Kristen and Mike ended up near each other. But nothing romantic happened until college, when Mike asked Kristen out to a movie. He impressed her father by coming to the front door and shaking his hand, an anecdote that even made it into his wedding speech. They began dating long distance, did the on-again, off-again thing for a while, and eventually became a bona fide couple when they both ended up in New York.
The Big Day: Kristen and Mike had the honor of holding the first vegan wedding at Vermont’s Hermitage Inn. Luckily, chef Paul Eschbach welcomed the challenge of crafting a vegan meal (and didn’t bat an eye at Kristen’s 47-page list of suggested menu items). The bride and groom made it their priority to ensure that every last detail—from the candles on the table to the crayons for the kids—was cruelty-free. And while no animals were harmed during the celebration of their wedding, one friend was. Close pal Clayton danced so hard he split his chin open on the dance floor. Now that’s commitment!
Savory Hors D’oeuvres
Veggie Sliders with Homemade Tomato Marmalade
Chickpea Fritters with Parsley and Tzatziki Sauce
Tostones with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes and Herbs
Hummus Tacos with Harissa Sauce and Fresh Mint
Asian-Inspired Hors D’oeuvres
Raw Flax Tempeh Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Veggie and Tofu Sushi
Noodles in Chinese Take-Out Boxes
Edamame Dumplings with Spicy Sauce
Cucumber Mint Water
Handcrafted Root Beer, Ginger Brew, Blueberry Mandarin Orange, and Lemon-Lime Vegan Sodas
Coffee and Tea with Soy Blenders and Vegan Cane Sugar
Heirloom Tomatos and Mushroom Ragout Over Homemade Fettuccine
Plantain Chips, and Cilantro Purée
Roasted Vermont Summer Vegetables and Candle 79 Seitan Wrapped in Phyllo Dough
Chocolate Coffee Cake Layers with Mocha and Raspberry Fillings
Vanilla Cake Layers with Blueberry Filling, Whole Organic Blueberries, and Apricot Spread and a Lemon Rosewater Buttercream
Apple, Blueberry, and Mixed Berry Pies, with Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice Cream
Sorbet Trio in Plum, Strawberry Red Wine, and Lemon-Lime
Click here to see more vegan weddings.
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism